Pre-Training Camp SoCon Power Rankings
By Russell V.
Follow us at Twitter.com/SouthernPigskin. Become a fan at the SouthernPigskin.com Facebook Page
We are less than three months away from the start of the 2012 football season.
A little more than two months until college football season. That’s right guys, we’ve almost made it. You’ve lasted this long – we can do this!
In the meanwhile, here is my pre-training camp 2012 Southern Conference rankings. What do you guys think? Do you agree that the Eagles are the favorites to repeat as conference champs? Or will someone one step up and take the title?
1. Georgia Southern – This team won the SoCon last year and returns most of their starters this year. Why wouldn’t you put them number one?
2. Appalachian State – When was the last time the Mountaineers weren’t favorites to win the conference? It may have been a down year in 2012, but there's still plenty of talent to go around.
3. Wofford – The Terriers have the arguably the best running back duo in the conference – perhaps even the country – in Eric Breitenstein and Donovan Johnson.
4. Chattanooga – The Mocs have been knocking on the door for a few years now. Is 2012 the year they finally get over the hump?
5. Samford – Is there a squad that loves the underdog role more than the Bulldogs? They are always overlooked and yet consistently finish at least in the middle of the SoCon standings.
6. Furman – There are a lot of question marks on this team, one that loses stars Chris Forcier, Ryan Steed and Kadarron Anderson, among others.
7. Elon – Aaron Mellette is an absolute stud, but Thomas Wilson has to cut down on his turnovers for the Phoenix to have a chance.
8. The Citadel – Their defense was one of the best in the conference in 2011. Can their offense, led by Terrell Dallas, pick it up this season?
9. Western Carolina – Mark Speir has his work cut out for him. It could be a rough first year for him.