Southern Pigskin Recruiting Rankings
By Southern Pigskin Staff
Follow us at Twitter.com/SouthernPigskin. Become a fan at the SouthernPigskin.com Facebook Page
Members of the SouthernPigskin.com Staff rank the top recruiting classes in the ACC and SEC.
1. Florida State - The Seminoles hit the offensive and defensive lines hard, beating out Florida and Miami for a number of the state's top prospects. Safety Karlos Williams is the headliner on defense, running back James Wilder, Jr. the headliner on offense; both players were top 20 prospects nationally.
Star - Karlos Williams, S
Sleeper - Jacob Coker, QB
2. Alabama - As usual, the Crimson Tide brought in one of the nation's best classes. Alabama got a major post-Signing Day boost when the game's top offensive lineman Cyrus Kouandjio, previously committed to rival Auburn, switched and signed to play in Tuscaloosa. 'Bama signed a handful of elite players from the state of Florida.
Star - Hasean Clinton-Dix, DB
Sleeper - Vinnie Sunseri, LB
3. LSU - The Tigers signed the nation's top one-two punch on the offensive and defensive lines in in-state talents La'El Collins and Anthony Johnson. Les Miles also brought in two talented Louisiana receivers in Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham, Jr. LSU dominated their home turf as usual.
Star - Anthony Johnson, DT
Sleeper - Stephen Rivers, QB
4. Georgia - Mark Richt and the Bulldogs finished with a flurry down the stretch, as their "Dream Team" concept came to fruition. Top Peach State players Isaiah Crowell, Ray Drew, Malcolm Mitchell and Jay Rome all chose UGA down the stretch. Georgia also added JUCO nose guard John Jenkins.
Star - Isaiah Crowell, RB
Sleeper - Watts Dantzler, OT
5. Auburn - Gene Chizik continued his tear on the recruiting trails, going to Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and North Carolina to land top prospects. Getting offensive lineman Christian Westerman and defensive lineman Gabe Wright late helped fortify the trenches. Linebacker Chris Frost is a player.
Star - Kris Frost, LB
Sleeper - C.J. Uzomah, TE
6. Clemson - No team had a better National Signing Day as the Tigers landed the nation's top two linebackers, both from out of state: Florida's Tony Steward and North Carolina's Stephon Anthony. Running back Mike Bellamy and wide receiver Sammy Watkins will provide an instant spark on offense.
Star - Tony Steward, LB
Sleeper - Cole Stoudt, QB
7. Florida - With the transition from the Urban Meyer to Will Muschamp era hindering efforts a bit, it was a smaller class for the Gators. That said, Florida signed two of the the nation's top quarterbacks in early enrollee Jeff Driskel and Jacoby Brissett and got a playmaker at running back in Mike Blakely.
Star - Jeff Driskel, QB
Sleeper - Clay Burton, DE
8. Tennessee - Give Derek Dooley and his staff a lot of credit for signing a very solid class fit with a lot of speed and a few top-notch offensive linemen. OL Antonio Richardson, Cameron Clear and Marcus Jackson form a great trio. JUCO defensive back Byron Moore is game-ready now.
Star - Antonio Richardson, OT
Sleeper - Alan Posey, OL
9. South Carolina - The entire dynamic of this class changed when Steve Spurrier signed the nation's top prospect in defensive end Jadeveon Clowney. Many believe he is ready for All-SEC status now. Kelcy Quarles and Phillip Dukes will also figure into the mix along the defensive line.
Star - Jadeveon Clowney, DE
Sleeper - K.J. Brent, WR
10. North Carolina - Considering the turmoil in Chapel Hill this past season, Butch Davis did a great job with this class. Delvon Simmons and Devonte Brown bring great athleticism to the interior of the defensive line. Kiaro Holts and Jarrod James are good offensive line prospects.
Star - Delvon Simmons, DT
Sleeper - Eric Ebron, TE