6 of 7
FSU might of just gotten Brownell fired
Posted: 25 March 2017 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4883
Joined  2013-01-17
CU_Tigers4life - 19 March 2017 04:45 PM

Couple of points…Clemson went 20 years before Dabo led Clemson to his first ACC win…  yea but we still had good players compared to the rest of our conference.  Clearly our coaches were losers.  I knew they were losers when I was a CFB rookie and had never seen or understood how a good team operates.  Now I wonder how Bowden EVER got a job. 

Second on facilities….While have a good place to participate is important you make it sound like these new facilities will serve like the pied piper making players want to magically want to play.. You’re crazy if you don’t think having the biggest stadium in the conference and one of the biggest in CFB is a big deal.  These kids want to be in the bright lights in front of the biggest LOUDEST crowd possible.  If you haven’t noticed the volume of Death Valley is something we take pride in and something recruits take notice of.  If these facilities don’t matter why did we just spend about $115M over the last two years? 

Oregon literally has to tie a pork chop around it’s neck to make players want to play there.  The location is horrible.  It is so remote for families wanting to see their kid play that they have to compensate….Since we are in the North West Mike Leach is keeping Wazzou competitive with significantly inferior facilities because he is Mike Leach…And there is Washington…They spent some money on facilities..nothing like other schools..Was it the Facilities or Chris Pederson that made an impact?Here you go again making my point for me.  Despite coaching changes and little history they’ve recruiting very well through the last 3 coaches.  So if it’s not the coaches or location maybe they like the swag and facilities?

As for as Basketball…only a small amount of programs have these amazing facilities…most places they just go play basketball for because of the Coach or the school…  Since I personally don’t know.  How would you rank our facilities compared to the rest of the ACC?  Before and after the renovation. 

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 25 March 2017 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
Clemtgrs - 20 March 2017 03:06 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1683508&tstart=0

Coaches see this job as a “mid-major in a big conference with zero upside.”  That is how we are viewed folks.  I feel very COMFORTABLE with that.

The reason you’re uncomfortable with it is because you don’t understand why that is our reputation.  We are the small fish in the pond, have low fan support (points finger), no history, and apparently high expectations. 

You all act like this is such an easy job.  Please explain how you would recruit kids to play basketball at Clemson.  I bet your list is short and weak.

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2017 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7285
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 25 March 2017 04:22 PM
Clemtgrs - 20 March 2017 03:06 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1683508&tstart=0

Coaches see this job as a “mid-major in a big conference with zero upside.”  That is how we are viewed folks.  I feel very COMFORTABLE with that.

The reason you’re uncomfortable with it is because you don’t understand why that is our reputation.  We are the small fish in the pond, have low fan support (points finger), no history, and apparently high expectations. 

You all act like this is such an easy job.  Please explain how you would recruit kids to play basketball at Clemson.  I bet your list is short and weak.

I think you are missing the point of the “Comfortable” comment..You are aware that Brownell used that characterization of what he thought his status as Clemson’s Head Coach before he and R-Rad met..

Signature 

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Posted: 25 March 2017 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12903
Joined  2008-10-29

How would I do it?  Get excited for it, get the school excited about it, get the students excited about it.  The same thing Dabo did to football.  If you are just comfortable with your job and the status of the program then you have a major disconnect.  Who wants to come to Clemson currently if no one is going to show up to watch?  Winning and losing aside, it’s all about playing for that crowd which will then help feed that energy and a certain mindset we want.  It’s going to give you the environment to succeed and cause some eyebrows to be raised by recruits like dang, I want to come play in this atmosphere.  We know the school is solid, our other programs have shown us we can easily sell the school to kids it’s the sports program individually that we have to sell.

You know why we can’t get someone like Zion Williamson?  Because Brownell doesn’t have the balls to go for it.  He’s comfortable accepting defeat and just slinking off to the next one, probably a 2-3 star type of kid.  Using the Muschamp recruiting tactic.  How did Clemson get someone like CJ Spiller out from under the Gators coming off their best seasons arguably in their history?  We should of never done that on paper.  You know why we did?  Because Dabo had the balls to go for it even with Tommy Bowden saying no, we have no chance with him.  Brownell is Bowden, doesn’t get after it.  That’s what I’ve been trying to say, we need a young firey guy who wants to really create a program here.  The first guy that can come in and build a successful basketball program at Clemson can name his price in his second contract and stay there for close to life/retirement I guarantee you that 100%.

If you aren’t at a bluechip like UNC, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc you can’t use tradition and pedigree to your advantage in recruiting, sorry but you can’t.  You gotta blaze a new path.  Like Clemson football what did they do, they hyped the program and students.  They forged a path in social media still at the top of the class today and they can talk to any recruit they want.  Instead of going to them, the recruits now come to us.  Yes, we had a higher box to stand on in football already, but it’s like we have a lazy basketball coach.  He’s not that charismatic, he’s not interesting, he isn’t going to coin any slogans or catchphrases, he’s boring to be honest.  He’s not a coach that is going to fight for his team or players, which won’t fight for him as we have seen, he’s just so monotone all around.  It comes across as him not caring, you don’t have to be full Dabo, you just need to look at what he’s doing and try to implement that into the basketball program.  I mean the dude stands by and stands quiet on the sideline with his arms crossed.  And we’ve seen it time and time again, his guys just don’t always play for him on the court.  Lots of mistakes and mix ups in personnel at the end of games or in crunch time, can’t close out single digit games, can’t win when it really matters.  I see so many of these last second buzzer beater games, like Florida’s last night, Villanova over UNC, but I can NEVER imagine Clemson doing that.  Not with Brownell coaching.  We’d collapse.

You have to change the core, a lot of times that means cleaning house and starting fresh.  What better time to do it than when the facilities are brand spanking new.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 25 March 2017 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
Clemtgrs - 25 March 2017 05:12 PM

How would I do it?  Get excited for it, get the school excited about it, get the students excited about it. 

You know why we can’t get someone like Zion Williamson? 

He’s not a coach that is going to fight for his team or players

Hard to get the student excited or recruits when half of his fans are calling for him to get fired.  Hard to get recruits excited when fans don’t show up.  Hard to get fans to show up when our record isn’t great due to being outmatched by our conference. 

Do you seriously not think Brad is recruiting Zion?  He had a slim chance at him, I would be shocked if Brad wasn’t busting his ass at one point trying to get him.  Brad is one great player away from getting the momentum he needs to turn this program into what you expect it to be but how in the hell do you expect him to recruit his first great player when idiots are calling for his head in every other thread on tigernet?  HE CANT.  Coach K couldn’t recruit that kid to Clemson if it looked like he was about to get canned. 

Won’t fight for his team? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwT-T9a1tEI

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2017 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Hard to get the student excited or recruits when half of his fans are calling for him to get fired.

It’s also hard to keep a fan based excited with an average record of 17-14 over the last 7 years with one NCAA bid in your first year with your predecessors players and only 2 NIT bids to show for it. Blowing a 23 point lead in the NIT pretty much sums it up.

I guess people like you are as “comfortable” with winning 17 games as Brownell was with not being worried about his Job.

At least he will be winning 17 games in a real purdy facility.

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2017 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Hence maybe why we should of fired him.  If no one or the majority doesn’t support him that should be a sign.  Get someone new to energize the program and the fans will return and the recruits will take notice.  But what about Brownell’s teams currently is doing to help the situation?  He’s driving the fans away.  Maybe we need a new coach to coach our players better to win more games?  You are just talking yourself into my points.

I have my doubts he is recruiting him with any force or passion.  I think he thinks Zion is a lost cause and isn’t pursing as hard as he needs to especially when Zion is in NY watching the Lamecocks play in the sweet 16 and watched them head to the Elite 8.  With the crowd in MSG chanting his name.  But hey, Brad can sell his 17 wins and all of those close losses right?

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 26 March 2017 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Coots advance to the final 4, Radakovich and Brownell having dinner date feeling comfortable together probably.

Do the coots now say they are a basketball school?  First baseball, then football, now basketball?  Changes every few years I guess.  Why’d it have to be this year though?

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 26 March 2017 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Stat for you Pines, make it so please.

The last time Clemson won the National Championship in football, North Carolina won the NCAA basketball tournament the following March.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 26 March 2017 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

UNC is probably already planing where to put their new championship trophy.

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2017 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Tiger baseball in the top 5.  Changed coaches after stagnating and bogging down the program, win the ACC first year, and already top 5 and playing really well second year.  A coaching change making an impact?  Gasp.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 27 March 2017 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 27 March 2017 04:06 PM

Tiger baseball in the top 5.  Changed coaches after stagnating and bogging down the program, win the ACC first year, and already top 5 and playing really well second year.  A coaching change making an impact?  Gasp.

No way!  It way the renovations to the stadium!

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2017 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9625
Joined  2008-10-29
Clemtgrs - 26 March 2017 08:06 PM

The last time Clemson won the National Championship in football, North Carolina won the NCAA basketball tournament the following March.

That would be awesome.

I would love to see it of course, and it blew my mind how Oregon destroyed Kansas but I gotta admit I would rather see Oregon than Frank Mason and Kansas.

On the other side, hard to knock South Carolina as the Cinderella story. I just love how a fan base that has spent years trashing basketball while chanting SeC are now big basketball fans. I don’t see how they beat Gonzaga though. Gonzaga is the real deal that plays smothering defense.

I think we see Carolina vs. Gonzaga final. But if not, I feel like the Heels won the championship by just sending Kentucky to the couch, which they promptly burned.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-tournament-2017-upset-kentucky-fans-burn-tv-couch-following-unc-loss/

At least they chanted something besides SeC! Lol. What a bunch of losers.

No reason Clemson cant be every bit as good as South Carolina.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 28 March 2017 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
SoPinesHeel - 27 March 2017 08:31 PM
Clemtgrs - 26 March 2017 08:06 PM

That would be awesome.

I would love to see it of course, and it blew my mind how Oregon destroyed Kansas but I gotta admit I would rather see Oregon than Frank Mason and Kansas.

On the other side, hard to knock South Carolina as the Cinderella story. I just love how a fan base that has spent years trashing basketball while chanting SeC are now big basketball fans. I don’t see how they beat Gonzaga though. Gonzaga is the real deal that plays smothering defense.

I think we see Carolina vs. Gonzaga final. But if not, I feel like the Heels won the championship by just sending Kentucky to the couch, which they promptly burned.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-tournament-2017-upset-kentucky-fans-burn-tv-couch-following-unc-loss/

At least they chanted something besides SeC! Lol. What a bunch of losers.

No reason Clemson cant be every bit as good as South Carolina.

While I am not an ACC homer, I am anti SEC with regards to them getting a disproportionate amount of hype and there fan bases do a good job of fueling that dislike…

So, it would be cool if the ACC owned the crowns in the two major sports that pay the bills in the same year. 

For a Gamecock fan, they will be happy enough with a Final 4…However, if this comes down to UNC vs USC…No Pressure Pines….LOL

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2017 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9625
Joined  2008-10-29

Oh there would be lots of pressure with that one…Oregon or Gonzaga not as much. If Berry can’t go next week it might be a long night Saturday. Apparently he was having trouble walking Sunday night after the game.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

6 of 7

‹‹ Oh, the irony...     Super Bowl ››