1 of 3
Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join The ACC in Football
Posted: 15 May 2017 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4006
Joined  2009-09-09

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2017/5/13/15634424/notre-dame-join-acc-network-football-uconn-huskies-conference-realignment-undefeated-against-nd

If this is true, it really shouldn’t be a surprise.  College Football has changed and the “Old Ways” just don’t apply anymore.

Sorry Matt…..

Posted: 15 May 2017 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3140
Joined  2013-01-17

Doesn’t seem like there’s much to go on here.  We’ll see.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 15 May 2017 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  831
Joined  2011-04-22

Brando has been saying this for well over a year now (a quick Twitter search will show you). I still believe it’s at least five years away, depending on what happens with the playoff.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 16 May 2017 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
MattSmith - 15 May 2017 09:05 PM

Brando has been saying this for well over a year now (a quick Twitter search will show you). I still believe it’s at least five years away, depending on what happens with the playoff.

5 Years?  That’s closer than earlier predictions which has essentially been now way in Hades..Ha Ha.

Just having a little fun.

Seriously, I think as much as ND wants to stay Independent I think they will have no choice…

The real question would be what happens AFTER ND joins?  Do they stay at 15 teams and do away with divisional play (My Choice) or find a 16th Team?

Brando suggests UConn which I don’t care for.

Posted: 16 May 2017 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  831
Joined  2011-04-22

I’ve said all along if (and unfortunately it’s probably when, not if) the playoff moves to 8 teams and automatic bids, ND will probably be forced into a conference to ensure better access. In five years, conversations should start about what to do when the playoff contract ends after the 2025 season, as well as what happens when the Big 12 inevitably breaks up. That’s why I think we’re five years away from any action.

They absolutely want to remain independent, but they’re not going to reduce the football program’s access to compete for a national championship just to maintain independence.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 17 May 2017 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Not too drift far away from the topic, I really like the 4-game playoff model.  I don’t want to see the Playoffs morph into an NFL-like Model.  No matter how many teams are in the playoff format, that last team left out will always be the point of debate.

My biggest problem with the playoff model right now is that not enough weight is given to a team that wins their conference.  That should be a tie-breaker criteria when teams have identical records.  Penn State should have gotten the nod over Ohio State.  The Buckeyes were rewarded for not having to play an extra game and that exposed Penn State to another potential loss or injury to players. Granted, we benefited from proving this point when Clemson pasted them in the playoffs.  Who knows? Penn State might have beaten us.

Not giving weight to conference champions will continue to protect Notre Dame.  Notre Dame should be compelled to play a 13th regular season game to either a P5 school or Group of 5 program to level the amount of games played or until they join a league

Posted: 17 May 2017 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6975
Joined  2008-10-29

I thought it might have happened before they reupped with NBC a few years ago…then I thought it might have happened if they had male chicken blocked a conference champ, but then they didn’t.

For once I agree with SeC chanters that it is the height of ridiculous that ND gets their own seat at table with conference commissioners. Time for that to end and contrary to the Dennis Dodd’s of the world, the only place they can contractually go is the ACC.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 17 May 2017 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10657
Joined  2008-10-29

Agreed with Pines, however I really could care less if they come to the ACC or not.  Only way I’d care is if they can drag their ball and chain NBC over who will give the ACC an exclusive fully digital network deal.  Otherwise, shove it ND.  Can’t even beat most of the people in the ACC currently or so it seems.  Would just be adding a middle tier nobody unless they can bring a network of value to us.

Still one of the most memorable game I’ve been to with the flooding and hype.  The rain was absolutely ridiculous for this game.  I can rattle off plays and moments from this game more than the National Title game which I can only remember the last 5mins or so.  Alcohol not involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIrpS94viiM

lol Notre Lame.  Washed up program.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 17 May 2017 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Kinda ironic you call them a middle tier nobody that you don’t care about then harping on one of the most memorable games of your lifetime in a runner up season.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 17 May 2017 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Not memorable because of the opponent.  The rain, the flooding, the atmosphere, not even trying to stay dry in the stands anymore, the almost not being able to get back into Columbia the next day due to roadblocks and washouts, houses underwater, the Governor telling everyone to stay home but still having a total packed house, etc.  Could of been playing anyone, just so happened to be ND.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 17 May 2017 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I don’t remotely call ND a mid-level program.  They ran the table and made it to the BCS title games just a few years ago and like many people lost to Bama..

ND is always capable of reloading into a solid program and the country is full of devout Catholics that will spend ridiculous money following the Irish. 

If the ACC can land this whale the ACC will be on extremely solid footing.  It’s already in great shape but ND would knock it out of the park.  It’s a guaranteed national broadcast every time you play them which helps everyone.

Posted: 17 May 2017 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Dude dont pretend that Wake Forest could come into DV and draw a sellout in a hurricane and set ticket price records.  Get real.  If it wasn’t Notre dame or FSU the game would have been canceled or almost nobody would have been there.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 17 May 2017 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 17 May 2017 05:08 PM

Dude dont pretend that Wake Forest could come into DV and draw a sellout in a hurricane and set ticket price records.  Get real.  If it wasn’t Notre dame or FSU the game would have been canceled or almost nobody would have been there.

I agree with you 100% on this one…ND was undefeated and 7th in the nation.  They had not been to DV since Dan Devine showed is ass on the sideline (I was there). 

There are some programs that regardless of how down they may be is still a big game: Texas, Michigan, OSU, Penn State, Oklahoma, So Cal, ND are huge anytime.

Posted: 17 May 2017 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Come on man they are quite possibly the WORST team to play in the championship since 2001 Nebraska.  Since their 2013 appearance (2012 season), they have gone 9-7 against the ACC, losing to Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NCST, VT, Pitt, and Duke.  How the hell aren’t they a middle tier team in this conference??  They sure aren’t up top.  Lost to 50% of the schools in the conference in a span of 4 years….

Come on man, facts.  Don’t hold them to be something they aren’t because you are hypnotized by their gold helmets.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 17 May 2017 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

ND is an Elite PROGRAM…the football team is struggling but the program is Elite.  I think you are grading them just on wins and Losses and not the quality of the program.

Posted: 17 May 2017 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Live in the present.  The product is in the present.  Legacy should not determine value.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

1 of 3