1 of 2
Who is flying under the radar?
Posted: 18 July 2017 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4047
Joined  2011-02-04

Some people think NCSU will have a really solid team, Jaylen Samuels seems a bit underrated and forgotten, but he’s a good player. They nearly upset Clemson last season and finished strong to end the year. I don’t think they will win the brutal Atlantic division, but when the smoke clears they could find themselves in the top 3 and with a winning conference record.

Posted: 18 July 2017 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2011-04-22

Everyone is saying that N.C. State is under the radar, so they’re really no longer under the radar. I’d probably go with Georgia Tech, but “under the radar” is really an undefinable, relative term.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 18 July 2017 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

I would say flying under the radar means that they will be better than most people think and overshadowed by the more sexier teams in their conference. But if I had to give you a bench mark, I’d say 2 spots or more higher than the media polls pick them to finish in conference or division.

Posted: 18 July 2017 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7948
Joined  2008-10-29

I’d say Carolina, Harris will do well in the Fed Spread and last time Heels were picked 5th they won the division so I am going with my team.

The names just aren’t known yet, and Fedora has proved his offense is plug and play. The D will be a little better too.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 18 July 2017 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

I can see Carolina’s season going either way, not sure why the D will be better than last year, but can see the offense doing well despite losing a bunch of skill position guys.

I think UL has the best chance to disappoint. Some people are referring them as part of the “Big3” of the Atlantic, hard to replace so many starters from last year’s team and they finished with just a 9-4 season. LJ can’t do it alone and it’s not like their recruiting classes has been top 10, not even top 25.

Posted: 18 July 2017 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7948
Joined  2008-10-29

Because the majority of starters returning is on that side of the ball and the overall star ranking of the players has improved, also a successful defensive coaching staff from Nebraska in the past has been reunited after the loss of Chizik and a few other coaches.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 18 July 2017 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4166
Joined  2013-01-17

I’m interested in what UVA does this year.  Year to for Bronco and I expect improvement.  Can he catch some people off guard?

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 18 July 2017 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

I’m also interested in what he will do this year. I think in the coming years you will not be able write in UVA as the default worse team in the Coastal, much like the top of the ACC that will be a revolving door depending on which team gets bitten worse by the injury bug. I would not count on Miami always occupying the top from here on out either; Richt is a good coach but always seems to underachieve.

Posted: 18 July 2017 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4166
Joined  2013-01-17

Miami? hahaha When have they been at the top?  I’ll admit I think Richt will do well there as even bad coaches did ok but UNC and VT will be more than enough to give him a run for his money.  Pitt and GT will make noise every now and then too.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 19 July 2017 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

What I was saying is that most people would assume that the U is or will be back very soon dominating their division, I just don’t see it happening. Like everyone else, they’ll take their turn at the top for a year or two.

Posted: 19 July 2017 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5363
Joined  2009-09-09

When you say “flying under the radar”, is that for a team that will sneak up and challenge for the ACC title?  I don’t see a lot outside of the teams most people have predicted to compete for the title changing…

As far as overachieving and winning an few extra games..maybe Pitt…Maybe VT.

NC State always finds a way to self destruct when the get off to a good start or knocks off a big team.

Miami is supposed to compete for the Coastal so I don’t consider them flying under the radar.

Louisville I think takes a step back unless Lamar stops taking so many sacks.  That was one stat last year that was not pressed enough.  As the season progress, Louisville’s offence got figured out which is why the fell apart at the end.  Lamar won’t sneak up on anyone this year and unless he has improve greatly, the Cards won’t have nearly the season they had last year….in fact I would wage FSU will rip them a new one as payback.

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 19 July 2017 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2011-04-22

I would say Clemson, FSU, Louisville, Miami, N.C. State and probably VT would not qualify as under the radar. N.C. State is the team that everyone talks about because they think no one else is talking about them, but then they end up being talked about a lot.

So, if I’m taking one of the other eight teams to either a) get to Charlotte from the Coastal or b) finish in the Top 3 in the Atlantic, I’d say Georgia Tech.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 19 July 2017 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I guess you could call Clemson flying under the radar..They will have one of the top defensive units in the nation, but I guess with the offensive losses including Watson I’ll buy that.

If we get our QB off to a good start we could have another great year.

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 19 July 2017 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2012-01-24

In the SEC, Kentucky will be a good football team.

Posted: 19 July 2017 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Dawgsfan - 19 July 2017 12:03 PM

In the SEC, Kentucky will be a good football team.

I have read a lot about the South Carolina sneaking up, but they usually have a way of being like NC State and finding a way yo implode.  It will be interesting to see how the NC State vs USC opener plays out.

Signature 

— Mike Leach

Posted: 19 July 2017 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2012-01-24

The Gamecocks will be better than last year, but is that really saying much? I only see 1 team in the East with no chance of making a bowl game and that is Missouri. Even Vanderbilt will have a decent chance. In the West, I don’t think there is any team that is under the radar. Auburn will have a good team and Clemson should get a good challenge from them. I think Texas A&M will have to win 10 games and go to a major bowl or they will find a new coach. Alabama is just reloads every year.

1 of 2