1 of 2
North Korea Situation
Posted: 09 August 2017 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4650
Joined  2009-09-09

There is a lot saber-rattling going on.  Both sides are doing a lot of trash talking making a lot of people in that area feel uneasy.

I wonder how this is going to play out.  If NK actually attacks something, this could get hairy quickly.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 09 August 2017 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11252
Joined  2008-10-29

Agreed, I think it all hinges on NK having the balls to actually pull the trigger on say Guam.  If they do it’s going to get nasty.  I would find it almost impossible to believe Trump would retaliate with nukes, but those super bombs used a few months ago for sure.  I think the cost today is to high to use nukes.  Do that and NK fires them, Iran fires them, Russia fires them, and China is put in a really difficult spot.  If NK actually attacks someone, 100% we will destroy their regime we would have to.

I really don’t know what you do with this.  Continue rattling the sabers hoping it calms down?  I don’t know how you can pressure anyway else without being offensive.  NK has always been a bunch of talk, but they’ve never had the capability to back it up like they do now, or are getting.

Wonder if this is what the Cold War felt like.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Clemson fans, if I offer you 4-1 when the calendar turns to October (basically meaning Tigers go 2-1 vs. AUB, at LOU, at VT), do you take it?

Nah, 5-0 sounds better.

Posted: 09 August 2017 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

The NK is as much of a humanitarian crisis for it’s own people as is the threat the regime posts to the region.

It would be great if a revolution could occur and the citizens over throw the government…but they are so suppressed that I don’t think that could happen.

The real question is how long will NK be allowed to exist in it’s current form?  If South Korean, China the US and UK wanted to, they could take out NK pretty quickly and try to create a stable Korean Peninsula with a possible Korean Unifican?

There are a lot of thoughts on this..

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 09 August 2017 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3539
Joined  2013-01-17

China needs to put them down or starve them to death.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 09 August 2017 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

It would have to be a successful military coup in NK for the government to be overthrown.  The normal people don’t have the power.  For the longest time I thought that NK was one place where you could NEVER win and would have to have a mass killing of people to progress, but the more I think about it and read into it the more I feel that the people want the change and the opportunity, technology, etc that if the regime could fall the people and country could work it’s way back to society.  Most of it seems like fake admiration for their leader because they are scared.

I think China is a big key here, it will be interesting how the react if NK attacks somewhere.  If the US can sway China it will be a successful transition.  I feel like the US could handle NK especially with South Korea’s help, but having China on board would help VASTLY with politics during and after.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Clemson fans, if I offer you 4-1 when the calendar turns to October (basically meaning Tigers go 2-1 vs. AUB, at LOU, at VT), do you take it?

Nah, 5-0 sounds better.

Posted: 09 August 2017 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

From the propaganda about the NK people that I have read, they may be too afraid to revolt.  They have virtually no access to information about how the world is.  It is truly a super-closed society and what ever information about the world is fed from the government.

The human mind can be conditioned to accept just about anything given the circumstances….

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 09 August 2017 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  379
Joined  2014-03-26
CU_Tigers4life - 09 August 2017 03:50 PM

From the propaganda about the NK people that I have read, they may be too afraid to revolt.  They have virtually no access to information about how the world is.  It is truly a super-closed society and what ever information about the world is fed from the government.

The human mind can be conditioned to accept just about anything given the circumstances….

If fact, much of the citizens have been conditioned to believe he is divine.

Posted: 10 August 2017 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7546
Joined  2008-10-29

Watch the vice news piece on Rodmans visit a few years ago. Fascinating insight into that country…

Trump tough talking them is exactly what they want.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 10 August 2017 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Yep they’ve always postured just to make a deal at the end for something they need knowing they didn’t have the capability to backup their threats.  Now that they do, they could use Trump to push them into actually acting on it now that they have the capabilities.  It’s a fragile situation.  I wouldn’t want to be on Guam right now I know that.

However this does seem a bit odd to me, I guess they want to use the range they can reach as a threat/weapon.  Otherwise why wouldn’t they just lob them across the DMZ?

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Nah, 5-0 sounds better.

Posted: 10 August 2017 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 10 August 2017 02:03 PM

Yep they’ve always postured just to make a deal at the end for something they need knowing they didn’t have the capability to backup their threats.  Now that they do, they could use Trump to push them into actually acting on it now that they have the capabilities.  It’s a fragile situation.  I wouldn’t want to be on Guam right now I know that.

However this does seem a bit odd to me, I guess they want to use the range they can reach as a threat/weapon.  Otherwise why wouldn’t they just lob them across the DMZ?

At some point you have to stand up to a regime like this and say enough is enough, or one day they will be a real threat to global stability. 

I have been reading up on the Korean Conflict of the 1950’s, Truman’s firing of MacArthur and China’s helping of NK to repel the US…This mess has been going on for a long time. 

I am not say method Trump is using is correct…this mess has been going on for 70 years and smarter people than me have been trying to deal with it.

Sometime, calling the bluff is the way to go and see what happens.

Clem, you made great point about the DMZ.  I think the answer is pretty obvious the all out war would occur and NK would be taken out.  Guam is “safe” place to threaten compared to Japan or South Korea

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 10 August 2017 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

“At some point you have to stand up to a regime like this and say enough is enough, or one day they will be a real threat to global stability. “

But is it our place to start a fight when we’re not the ones that will be taking artillery/missile strikes?

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 11 August 2017 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 10 August 2017 06:00 PM

“At some point you have to stand up to a regime like this and say enough is enough, or one day they will be a real threat to global stability. “

But is it our place to start a fight when we’re not the ones that will be taking artillery/missile strikes?

That’s a fair point…It’s not quite that black and white though. We have a huge military presence in South Korea, Japan and Guam.  We are there for a reason.  Some of it is Korea, some of it goes back to WWII…

With all of that said, our mainland is being threatened as well as the region.

I think this is more of a game of Chicken than anything else.  North Korea plays this Sabre Rattling game to extort money from the US and other nations and have been doing that for a long time.  Trump is standing up to them and saying NO…He is also daring them to attack the US or one of it’s allies.  North Korea has not had their type of rhetoric thrown back in their face and it is interesting to see what they will do.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 11 August 2017 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7546
Joined  2008-10-29

Yeah, but we all think the Donger is crazy…yet what does Trump sound like with his supposed tough talk? The Donger. Its like two children arguing except 25 million South Koreans, untold millions of Japanese and a couple of hundred thousand of Americans will have to pay the price potentially.

None of which include any relatives of Donald Trump or most of the tough talkers for that matter. I bet people would think differently if it was their family in harms way.

Amazing how tough people are when they have no skin in the game.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 11 August 2017 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

The US mainland has no risk of a missile strike. 

I don’t know how good our missile defense systems are over there but that could be A LOT of blood on our hands if it’s not excellent.  Plus we would need to destroy artillery sites almost immediately for them no to rain down on Seoul.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 11 August 2017 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
SoPinesHeel - 11 August 2017 12:56 PM

Yeah, but we all think the Donger is crazy…yet what does Trump sound like with his supposed tough talk? The Donger. Its like two children arguing except 25 million South Koreans, untold millions of Japanese and a couple of hundred thousand of Americans will have to pay the price potentially.

None of which include any relatives of Donald Trump or most of the tough talkers for that matter. I bet people would think differently if it was their family in harms way.

Amazing how tough people are when they have no skin in the game.

Oh, everyone has a skin in the game if the Far East goes to war….

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 11 August 2017 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 11 August 2017 01:13 PM

The US mainland has no risk of a missile strike. 

I don’t know how good our missile defense systems are over there but that could be A LOT of blood on our hands if it’s not excellent.  Plus we would need to destroy artillery sites almost immediately for them no to rain down on Seoul.

All valid points…

Now that more countries around the World has Nukes or are in the process of becoming Nuclear, it is really important for Nations to make place like NK don’t have them…If they are allowed then other nations will follow..

China really is the key to this whole thing.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

1 of 2