Reflections on how your team did: Week 2
Posted: 10 September 2017 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4827
Joined  2009-09-09

That was a totally different game than what Clemson fans have been used to seeing.  Low scoring defensive battles have not been the norm at Clemson. 

Our offense grew up last night.  When Kelly Bryant got the wind knocked out of him and had to go out may be the most important event for this season.  Sometime QB’s get their bell wrong and don’t recover. Bryant got back in the game and played a damn fine game and really managed the game to do enough to win.

Once Dabo realized Auburn’s offense was contained, they played conservative and got out of the game and took the W.  Good coaching.

Auburn has a heck of a good defense, but ours is a beast!  11 Sacks agains a top SEC SEC team is unheard of. 

The turnovers concern me.  I don’t think one of the fumbles was legit…kids knee was on the ground, but that’s the way it is.

Louisville is going to be a very different game.  This will be Clemson’s chance to shut Lamar Jackson down once and for all.  The Cards are literally a one-trick pony that has a horrible defense and a weak O-line that should have Jackson running for his life.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 10 September 2017 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11439
Joined  2008-10-29

I hope you are right about Louisville.  If it was @Clemson I wouldn’t be concerned.  @Louisville with revenge on their mind is a bit frightening.  Good thing it’s at 3:30.  This is a huge game for the ACC Atlantic race.  Win this and I’ll be feeling good about an ACC Champ repeat going into October.

Our defense looks great, I thought our secondary went overlooked as they had great coverage downfield on all of those sacks.  He had no where to go with the ball and the Dline contained Stidham.  I liked how fast and physical our LBs looked.  Dline was just elite.

Offense wise I thought we did ok for the game we were playing, but I want more from the Oline.  I know Auburn has a pretty good defense but we returned 4 of 5 Oline players from a National Championship squad.  I expect a little more from them in terms of protection and blowing some holes for our RBs.

I thought Kelly Bryant was excellent for his 2nd ever start.  Made good decisions and some crucial plays with his legs.  He is so much smoother and faster running than Watson.  He had a few throws that scared me but had some that were just perfect.  He really lobs those jump balls knowing our WRs will grab them but that is where you can get burned.  If we can just get him a little more experience and a little more comfortable I think our offense will start to catch our defense.  We have the tools we just need to become efficient with them.

I still won’t predict a National Championship repeat, but I wouldn’t put us out of the race yet.  I firmly believe we are a top 5 team right this moment.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 10 September 2017 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3633
Joined  2013-01-17

Defense was great.  The PI’s to start the game were disappointing and I hope Marcus is ok but besides that it was one of the best defensive performances I’ve ever seen. 

Hard to tell what our offense is capable of when they spend a lot of the night overwhelmed by defense.  Bryant definitely just threw a few balls up for grabs and luckily our WR’s did a good job of handling the DB’s. 

I am disappointed that we continue to lose the turnover battle.  I don’t really blame RRMC for his though.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 10 September 2017 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11439
Joined  2008-10-29

Ray Ray’s was a pretty grey area.  Didn’t look out, but maybe it was?  I can let that one slide.  CJ Fuller’s was a bit more C’MON MAN!  I’m not terribly worried yet.  I’d like to see Bryant throw it more and limit the INTs as I think that is where we could get in trouble turnover wise like last season.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 10 September 2017 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2009-07-04

I’m not as high on Bryant as most. He is a solid QB but clearly not DW or even close to Boyd’s level. Our WR made a ton of outstanding catches on less than spectacular passes.

OL got worked all night which was very disappointing.

Defense, after 1Q, was as dominant as I’ve seen in a big game. Reminded me of our defenses under Danny. BV is simply the best D.C. I’ve ever seen.

Special teams still have me concerned. Huegels FG attempt was as ugly as I’ve seen so hopefully he got that out of his system.

TE is a major weakness on this team for the first time in awhile. Given we have about 20 on scholly, that is pitiful. Again, why is Pearman on this unbelievably outstanding staff?

Posted: 10 September 2017 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4827
Joined  2009-09-09

I’m not as high on Bryant as most. He is a solid QB but clearly not DW or even close to Boyd’s level. Our WR made a ton of outstanding catches on less than spectacular passes.

While I agree Kelly Bryant is no Watson or Boyd for that matter, I think he grew up a lot in the Auburn game. Thar may be the best defense we play all year and Bryant’s ability to take the hits he did and bounce back will serve him well.

The coaches just need to call plays that plays to the ability of Kelly Bryant and not Watson.  Like you properly said, our receivers will help Bryant manage a game.

Louisville will be another good game to see where KB really is.  After watching the Cards first 2 games, a Kelly Bryant led Clemson offense should be able to put up points against Louisville. 

This is going to be a year similar to the Cole Stoudt year but perhaps better because Bryant is a much better runner.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 10 September 2017 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3787
Joined  2008-10-29

UNC is in for a long season.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 10 September 2017 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

I wouldn’t be so quick to judge Bryant.  Boyd did some great things but also folded in games with far less defense than last night.  Boyd also had four 1st round caliber receivers (Hopkins, Watkins, Allen, Bryant) to throw to and an NFL RB (Ellington).  We don’t know if we have that on this team YET.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 10 September 2017 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  653
Joined  2010-06-05

We lost to Irma… are they even Division I!?

Signature 

Go Noles.

Posted: 10 September 2017 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
eslerman - 10 September 2017 10:44 PM

We lost to Irma… are they even Division I!?

Irma was D3 yesterday and a girl

Signature 

2016 National Champs