Louisville buyer’s remorse?
Posted: 10 October 2017 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3818
Joined  2011-02-04

Wondering if their cheating basketball program has worn out their welcome? It seems like it’s just one thing after another with them. UConn or Navy is starting to seem better and better.

Posted: 10 October 2017 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11272
Joined  2008-10-29

And their football program hasn’t exactly lived up to expectations.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Clemson fans, if I offer you 4-1 when the calendar turns to October (basically meaning Tigers go 2-1 vs. AUB, at LOU, at VT), do you take it?

Nah, 5-0 sounds better.

Posted: 10 October 2017 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3548
Joined  2013-01-17

Football has been plenty good enough so far.  It will be interesting to see what happens to their basketball program.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 10 October 2017 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4663
Joined  2009-09-09

I think Louisville will be radioactive for a while.  They probably don’t have pockets as deep as Penn State to recover.

Until we know what will happen to Louisville’s program no top recruit will want to go there.

I also think Petrino will exercise his option to get out of town when his buyout is cut in half.  There will be some top jobs that would take him and pay him well.  I think some job in the SEC would call him like Ole Miss, Tennessee…..

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 10 October 2017 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7546
Joined  2008-10-29

Nah, I think they have been a good addition, problems aside. Good town and rabid fan base in the biggest college sports market in the country.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 10 October 2017 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3818
Joined  2011-02-04

I get this feeling that they will will be the new NCSU in basketball; rabid fanbase that just cannot get out of the state’s flagship school shadow.

I’m still fine with UL, but my first choice after UMd left was to add some sort of Navy/Georgetown hybrid. Of course it will be Navy football, Georgetown basketball and they could both land their Olympic sports in the ACC, not sure about baseball.

Posted: 10 October 2017 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Johns Hopkins wanted that for Lacrosse and ACC said no. They went to the Big Ten.

ACC says all in or nothing. I actually think that might be a mistake. Hopkins would have been good for Lacrosse.

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2017 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3771
Joined  2008-10-29

ND was the only team the ACC would split up sports for. That’s known. Louisville is not alone with the Bball stuff. UM has opened up all their stuff for the Feds/NCAA. Their football thing has them taking no chances. The local anti UNC newspaper ran an editorial from Kentucky saying “If you are going to throw out Louisville. Throw out UNC first”. Both are far fetched. Once you’re in.. you’re in. I’m sure the ACC will keep a watch on Louisville, but I think they’ll be ok. The chancellor and AD are temporary. Once all that gets settled the coaches will come next. There’s no rush, but the next couple of years may be tough.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 10 October 2017 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11272
Joined  2008-10-29

Heisman fraud.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Clemson fans, if I offer you 4-1 when the calendar turns to October (basically meaning Tigers go 2-1 vs. AUB, at LOU, at VT), do you take it?

Nah, 5-0 sounds better.

Posted: 11 October 2017 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
SoPinesHeel - 10 October 2017 11:10 AM

Nah, I think they have been a good addition, problems aside. Good town and rabid fan base in the biggest college sports market in the country.

Agree completely…

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 11 October 2017 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I don’t know what the process for expelling a school is, but the ACC would not do this unless they had a replacement already lined up. WVU would be a good replacement but their GOR runs through 2025 unless the conference falls apart. Notre Dame isn’t joining full time.

I can see the ACC placing additional sanctions on Louisville on top of whatever comedown from the NCAA just like what happen to Clemson in the 1980’s

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 11 October 2017 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I think another Dame will be a full member sooner than later. They are losing money now by not and the old voices are dying out.

Louisville will get hit harder than some want and not as hard as others would like. Same goes for Carolina. I think both are likely to take the NCAA to court. Carolina will win too as the MCAA is not following it’s own by laws.

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2017 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

If somehow ND is able to win out and make the playoffs they will never join the ACC..the best thing that could happen is they win out and get left out…that might move the needle

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 11 October 2017 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

And it almost happened a couple of years ago, I don’t think it will happen this year but I think at some point the other conferences are going to not let them be at the table.

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2017 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3548
Joined  2013-01-17

IMO if a P5 conference collapsed it would almost guarantee the P4 champion a seat at the table and make it nearly impossible for ND to make it in as an independent. 

The P4 could agree to restructure a certain way to absorb some of the refugee schools and adjust schedules accordingly.  This could help eliminate games against non-FBS teams and make ND’s scheduling harder.

Signature 

2016 National Champs