The Boy Scouts Of America is Allowing Girls to Join
Posted: 12 October 2017 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4946
Joined  2009-09-09

I need to throw in my 2 cents about the recent change to the Boy Scouts allowing girls to participate in the program. Before making a knee-jerk response I actually took the time to read what the changes entail so I can talk about it. Being an adult leader in the program, I want to talk about “the big picture”.

First: Dens and Troops will not be CO-ED. They will still be all boy and all girl. Opening the program to girls is not the same as forcing kids to integrate.
What this means for a Pack to have girls, you will need to have 5 additional Dens with at least 2 adult leaders in each Den to pull this off. You cannot have a Den or Troop without 2 Adults present at all times. We struggle at times to get parents to step up as it is.

Not every facility has the physical space to have more Dens. Granted, some of the smaller Dens can host meeting at leaders homes, but there is a serious personnel and facility issue to overcome. We have a large Pack and have had serious problems with physical space at times to hold meetings. I used to schedule a lot of off-site activities at places like State Parks and Farms to have the time and space to get a good lesson taught.

Second: The Charter (Sponsor) of the Pack or Troop still has the choice to open the program to girls. This is not a one size fits all. They have the choice of staying all boy or creating an all-girl Pack. The really large Packs can allow Boys and Girls to join, but the Dens have to be separate.

At the Boy Scout level it looks like they will create “Girl Troops” that will allow those scouts to carry out the same program that the Boys do and they will be able to obtain the Eagle Scout Rank if that is the goal.
I hope that clarifies the official stuff and if I am wrong or something changes I’ll update my post….

Now to my personal feelings…..

My first thought is a don’t think there will be a huge influx of girls joining the program for a while. Mom’s and Dad’s will still want their Girls to try the Girl Scouts. I think those parents that already have sons in scouting that have their sisters tag along and already participate can now earn the same credit.
When we recruit for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts we frequently have little girls wanting to join and they can’t. Some of them just don’t want to do the things offered in the Girl Scouts. Many of them have see what their brothers or friends do in the Cub/Boy Scouts and would rather do that.

The lessons that Scouting teaches are not just for boys. I cannot think of anything that the program teaches that young girls would not benefit from.
If anyone thinks that teaching girls things like the Scout Law, Duty to God and Country, Respect for the Flag, Good Citizenship, Leadership is a bad thing then I would welcome that debate.

With that said, I do think the BSA is doing this in part to stop the endless lawsuits pertaining to gay and transgender scouts that have been denied membership. It has hurt membership and this move will probably run off some parents because this gets their noses out of joint..The BSA decided to punt the ball and allow all kids to enjoy the program. Perhaps this move will finally get the professional activists to leave us the hell alone for a while and go after some other group.
Heaven forbid we have a youth program out their for all kids that will teaches them the values that I still believe most parents want to instill on their kids with adult supervision.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 12 October 2017 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  412
Joined  2014-03-26

Sounds good, as long as the female pack has female leaders. The next lawsuit will happen when a transgender biological male wants to lead the female pack.

Posted: 12 October 2017 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
buzzzard - 12 October 2017 10:21 AM

Sounds good, as long as the female pack has female leaders. The next lawsuit will happen when a transgender biological male wants to lead the female pack.

LOL…

The Charter is still the gatekeeper for everything. They can always cancel the charter.  They don’t have to sponsor a Troop or Pack.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 13 October 2017 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2009-07-04

It really doesn’t matter anymore. The Boy Scouts lost their way about 15 years ago and are ever more irrelevant in today’s society. This is just one more desperate step to enhance membership that will ultimately ruin what used to be one of the bellweather organizations in the entire world. The left loves this move, which should be enough evidence of the objective, and part of the slow creep into oblivion for the Boy Scouts.

Posted: 13 October 2017 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3795
Joined  2008-10-29

Apparently, the Girl Scouts are very upset about this. My two daughters were Daisy and Girl Scouts. Those cookies!

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 13 October 2017 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
UNC 98 - 13 October 2017 09:59 AM

Apparently, the Girl Scouts are very upset about this. My two daughters were Daisy and Girl Scouts. Those cookies!

They are pissed because they know this is going to hurt the numbers.  We have a lot of girls wanting to be in the Boys program because it is more interesting.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 13 October 2017 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Orange&Purple; - 13 October 2017 08:28 AM

It really doesn’t matter anymore. The Boy Scouts lost their way about 15 years ago and are ever more irrelevant in today’s society. This is just one more desperate step to enhance membership that will ultimately ruin what used to be one of the bellweather organizations in the entire world. The left loves this move, which should be enough evidence of the objective, and part of the slow creep into oblivion for the Boy Scouts.

I don’t know how involved you have been with the program, but I don’t agree with you on some things.  They didn’t lose their way, they for forced to yield due to the endless lawsuits…Those lawsuits are more about breaking the BSA than actually wanting certain groups of people in.

Hopefully, just allowing all kids to be in the program will shut everyone the hell up and leave them alone.  There has not been a spike in gays entering the program nor will there be a huge amount of girls in the program…in fact, the way this has been set up, it’s going to be hard for girls to participate unless they get some parents to step up…which is doubtful on any large scale.

There is still a large interest in scouting if the Pack and Troops recruit properly.  We go into the Elementary schools every and usually end up with more kids than we can handle..but we manage.

Kids are interested in scouting..it is getting parents to commit to the program that is the problem.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 13 October 2017 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2009-07-04

I’m an Eagle Scout and had my son involved, along with myself, for many years. You don’t see the overall objective is to ruin Boy Scouts, mainly because it is gender specific and a Christian organization (at least until not too long ago) that teaches the great history, tradition and value of the USA. Those are ALL the antithesis of the leftist culture and objectives.

This move just pushes it further in the direction they want. They own higher education, major media and major corporations. They are clearly winning in way too many aspects of our culture.

I wish you all the best and hope you can buck the obvious trend line. I gave up on the Boy Scouts about six years ago.  It pains me to say that very, very much.

Posted: 13 October 2017 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I’m an Eagle Scout and had my son involved, along with myself, for many years. You don’t see the overall objective is to ruin Boy Scouts, mainly because it is gender specific and a Christian organization (at least until not too long ago) that teaches the great history, tradition and value of the USA. Those are ALL the antithesis of the leftist culture and objectives.

First, Congratulations on being an Eagle.  I know how hard you worked to achieve that…I would submit that the BSA has never been a “Christian” organization.  Even Lord Baden Powell didn’t specify:

The BSA wants a belief in God, but doesn’t promote a specific religion. I think professional activism is trying to break the BSA and I think they are doing the best they can to get past these attacks and remain as close to the intent of the program as possible.

Trail Life USA is really the big “Christian Alternative” to the Boy Scouts.  it is made up of people from the BSA the left over the Gay issue…

This move just pushes it further in the direction they want. They own higher education, major media and major corporations. They are clearly winning in way too many aspects of our culture.

It’s a battle..but Women weren’t allowed to be Den Leaders until 1967 and Scoutmasters before 1988 and I don’t think those moves hurt the program any more than allowed girls to participate in the program as a separate “All-Girl” den.

I wish you all the best and hope you can buck the obvious trend line. I gave up on the Boy Scouts about six years ago.  It pains me to say that very, very much.

I am sorry that you felt compelled to make that choice.  It sounds like your are the type of person the BSA needs to fight the good fight from within.  But I totally respect that choice.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 15 October 2017 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3784
Joined  2013-01-17

TLDNR

IMO it’s probably better for kids to get some interaction with the opposite sex.  Probably now more than ever.  I don’t know a much about either scout program but the boys seemed to do interesting stuff while the girls seem to just sell cookies.  I may be wrong about that but it’s kinda a dumb stereotype to enforce on girls, they need more skills.  With the divorce rate today lots of kids are raised by single parents and might not get the interaction with the opposite sex they did 30 years ago.  This could help mend that a little. 

Signature 

2016 National Champs