1 of 2
On The Lighter Side…I am thinking about Getting a new Truck
Posted: 17 October 2017 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5118
Joined  2009-09-09

I current own a 2006 Crew Cab F-150 I bought new and only has about 70K miles one it.  It’s a Step side 4X4.

There’s nothing wrong with it aside from being ages and the technology is starting to get outdated.  That new 2018 F-150 is looking damn nice.  I love Ford Trucks.  I am not Ant-Chevy or any other brand, but I like the style.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 17 October 2017 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  429
Joined  2014-03-26

That Nissan Titan with the Cummings is pretty sweet if you’re willing to pay 60+k.

Posted: 17 October 2017 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
buzzzard - 17 October 2017 12:39 PM

That Nissan Titan with the Cummings is pretty sweet if you’re willing to pay 60+k.

The Ford Truck interior amenities smoke the Nissan.  The 3.5 Eco boost Is a damn fine motor in the F-150’s.  I have friends that own them and they are really powerful.

Trucks are expensive.  I am not afraid to go 60K on a truck if I like it….But I haven’t ruled out going back 1-2 years.  I just want to see how different the 2018 is.  If it’s not a big change then I’ll save a few bucks and give a 1-2 year old low mile Certified Truck..

Of course I do have a strong sentimental attachment to my current truck that I have a free and clear title to.  I don’t need a new truck..but I am getting the itch to upgrade.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 17 October 2017 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11829
Joined  2008-10-29

I’ve been converted to Toyota trucks.  Have 3 in the family, two tundras and one tacoma.  Good trucks from my experience.  Reliable.

I can’t speak to Ford trucks, we haven’t had one of those since about 1996.  Switched to Chevy after that up until this Toyota switch and I doubt will ever go back to Chevy.  All the Chevy’s we have had remotely recently including company vehicles have had battery/power issues and electrical gremlins.  Could be just bad luck but who knows.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 17 October 2017 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-26

The age old question is, are you gonna do serious work with it or ride around the Dairy Queen?

Posted: 17 October 2017 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3942
Joined  2013-01-17

Trucks are stupid expensive now.  They cost about twice as much as they did during the recessions.  If I were you I would get a diesel from a truck saturated market that is 1-2 years old. 

buzzzard - 17 October 2017 02:58 PM

The age old question is, are you gonna do serious work with it or ride around the Dairy Queen?

Hahaha the LARGE majority are grocery getters.  Lot of people burning twice the gas they need to to look manly.  I hunt and fish and dont have too much trouble with just a sadan.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 17 October 2017 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-26

I picked up a 17’-5” steel brick lintel in my 1990 Honda Accord. Dropped the back seat and slid it all the way to the dashboard. Drove 30 miles back with it. When I left my land to do get it the Brick mason laughed and said, “I think you’re being foolish boy.” When I got back with it in that Accord, he shook his head in disbelief.

Posted: 17 October 2017 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

What’s more impressive is most guys with a short bet truck would be scared to move anything that long, especially a steel lintel, in their bed.  That should be pretty heavy being that long!!  Bet it was a PITA to get in there and out.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 17 October 2017 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-26

It was 6x6 angle for a double garage door opening. The Brick mason also said, “Now let’s see you unload it and bring it to me, boy.” And I did. His son was not that impressed and challenged me to arm wrestle him. And I won. Man I was cock strong back then. I would give anything to be one quarter that strong again.

Posted: 17 October 2017 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

haha I figured it would be at least 5x5.  Get in a wreck with that and the lintel might go through your engine!!

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 17 October 2017 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-26
Ancient Orange - 17 October 2017 08:46 PM

haha I figured it would be at least 5x5.  Get in a wreck with that and the lintel might go through your engine!!

It might have been 5x5 but certainly not 4x4. I had the lintel slightly toward the front passenger seat as I had a straight drive Accord. It was maybe 6” more of it inside the car vs outside the car. I had to lean on it with my right elbow and change gears with my left hand. Oh the things we do when we’re young and don’t know any better. Lawh!

I’ve owned a truck since 1998. Ford Ranger. No problems at all. Silverado after that. No problems. Currently drive a GMC Sierra. No problems. I do buy new though and I work them hard. Won’t catch me riding around the Dairy Queen on Saturday night. Lol!

Posted: 18 October 2017 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
buzzzard - 17 October 2017 02:58 PM

I actually use my truck the way it was meant to be…especially with my scouting activities.  I was very thankful I have my 4 X 4 Pulling the Troop Trailer in the mountains during our summer trip.  When my rear tires got stuck in the mud from an overnight rain, the 4WD earned its keep.

Trucks have really evolved.  I have some friends in the business and they tell me people are using these really nicely equipped full-sized trucks like the family SUV’s now…especially if they don’t need 3rd row seating for the larger families.  To a degree that’s something that I am considering also.  I am a Ford guy and these F-150 can get crazy-nice on the inside.  I am looking a a Lariat F-150 and a used “Platinum” version right now…It is amazing how these damn thing have changed from my 2006…

Another thing…I won’t buy a vehicle from GM or Chrysler because they took the government bail out.  Ford didn’t and Toyota didn’t have to.  Those are the only 2 brands I would consider.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 18 October 2017 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11829
Joined  2008-10-29

Funny, all of my personal cars have been Chrysler.  Few jeeps and currently a Dodge Challenger RT that i absolutely love, and would buy again.  It’s just kind of worked out that way, not really brand loyal per say.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 18 October 2017 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

CU.  Ford’s government contracts are their bailout.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 18 October 2017 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 18 October 2017 03:18 PM

CU.  Ford’s government contracts are their bailout.

Not going to chase that rabbit.  I am comfortable with my view and I have no problem with anyone buying whatever they want.  Ford is not the only one that have government contracts…I also know about a year before I bought my truck in 2006 Ford Sold off Hertz in 2005 and that probably helped greatly in avoiding that option. I wonder if they saw the storm on the horizon and sold off the 15 billion asset to save the company.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 18 October 2017 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-26

All truck brands have some bad windows of time through the years that have given people trouble. Those are the people that think ford or chevy or whatever is crap. Although I can’t remember Nissan or Toyota making crap. I’m sure someone can help me with that.

1 of 2