Butch Jones out at Tenn, Brady Hoke interim
Posted: 12 November 2017 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11430
Joined  2008-10-29

To be honest, surprised it took this long.  So it looks like we will have openings at Tennessee, Florida, and very possibly Texas A&M this year at the very least.  Some big name jobs open.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 12 November 2017 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3850
Joined  2011-02-04

I don’t know how Dan Mullen and Dave Clawson not change jobs this time around. All 3 universities can offer a ton of money.

Posted: 12 November 2017 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Would be interesting to see Clawson at Florida, he’s putting up some crazy offense at Wake.  Is he tough enough for a school like Florida though?  Maybe it’s that little old Wake Forest stigma, nice coaches and such….but if he’s doing that at Wake what can he do at somewhere like Florida.

I’d expect someone like Chad Morris getting a call too.  A&M may want to act fast if Morris is actually serious about moving from SMU, I’d guess they would have the inside track before Florida.

Who knows WHAT Tennessee is looking for, would be funny if they hired Kiffin again.  A lot of people in the TN circles are calling for Mullen from Miss St to move from there to take the TN job.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 12 November 2017 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3850
Joined  2011-02-04

Mullen coached under Urban Meyer at UF and UF appeared to have started their coaching search sooner, I think they get Mullen and Tenn get’s Clawson.

Posted: 12 November 2017 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4818
Joined  2009-09-09

I am not sold on Mullen leaving.  I think he’s happy in Stark-Vegas and he doesn’t have the same pressure he would have elsewhere.  I also can’t think of a lot of successful time a coach left to coach another team within the same conference without a time elsewhere.

The Florida fan base wants to win and they want to do so scoring points.  They are a cocky fan base and I can’t think of a better match than Lane Kiffen…that would be the “bad-boy” way to go.  If you want to go “up and coming” then Chad Morris’s offense will put points on the board.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 12 November 2017 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3627
Joined  2013-01-17

They’ve probably been looking for their next coach most of the season.  Good time to poach recruits around UT, Florida, and FSU!

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 12 November 2017 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7667
Joined  2008-10-29

I’ll be sorry to see Clawson leave Wake as I think he is the exact right coach for them. I don’t think that Tennessee has the patience for a coach like him. His style is big improvement in year 3-4 not 1-2.

I agree with your projections though.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 12 November 2017 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I’ve heard Florida AD doesn’t care for Mullen, that’s why everyone is thinking Mullen to somewhere like TN and someone else to Florida.  No idea if that is internet drama/rumor or truth.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 13 November 2017 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2009-07-04

I would think Dino Babers would be a good hire for those schools as well. Frost will likely move somewhere as he is hot, perhaps even back to Nebraska. Dana Holgerson may be interested in one of these schools as he is at a huge disadvantage being at WV in the B12.
I think Pines is right about Clawson - I’ve said for awhile he would be a great hire for a bigger program but he isn’t flashy.
I would not be surprised to see Fedora’s name pop up either.
Mullen would be crazy to take the TN job but I guess anyone can be bought.

Posted: 13 November 2017 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7667
Joined  2008-10-29

While it is a compliment that your coach might be in demand, Fedora has a 14 million dollar buyout and a likely 3 win team and a history of wacky coaching decisions. I think he is going to be at Carolina for a while longer. I am good with that as long as the recruiting keeps improving like it is.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)