1 of 2
Alaba­ma Just Killed The 4 Team Playoff
Posted: 03 December 2017 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4933
Joined  2009-09-09

There is absolutely no way Alabama and 2 SEC teams got additional access to winning the national title without ramifications.

The rest of the nation will demand changes….

I predict within the next 3-5 years the playoffs will expand to 6-8 teams

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 03 December 2017 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11653
Joined  2008-10-29

I personally don’t think it should, I think 4 is good now but if it ever does I would say possibly 6.  You win your conference in P5, you get an auto bid no questions asked as long as you are ranked for it.  Then 1 wildcard.

8 is to much.  You’d start having matchups you saw in the regular season and stuff, it’d be kind of a mess.  I still think 6 may be to many but if they expand it conference championships need to be weighted heavily.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 03 December 2017 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3784
Joined  2013-01-17

It is BS that a mediocre SEC got 2 in.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 03 December 2017 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3885
Joined  2011-02-04

This would have been the perfect year for an undefeated G5 team to get in. The AAC is not a bad conference, this year they were probably just a shade under the Pac12.

But if I had to be absolutely honest with myself, I feel that Ohio State blew it when they lost (badly) to Iowa more so than Alabama actually taking that 4th spot. However it’s totally hypocritical when (then) 2 loss Auburn was guaranteed a spot if they won the SECCG while 2 loss Ohio State was twisting in the wind until their fate was decided. I think there is a benefit of a doubt people give Bama because they make it to the playoffs so often rather than just being SEC SEC.

Posted: 04 December 2017 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7737
Joined  2008-10-29

I actually think Alabama deserved it more than Ohio St but you guys got screwed. I think y’all have a good shot to win but Alabama is better than a four seed and has a geographic advantage over y’all.

Anyhoo, expanding the playoff is a good thing to me so if Alabama forced it then good.

What I can’t stand is the idea that this somehow makes Kentucky a tough team. Even with UGA winning, the SeC is still the All Alabama conference.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 04 December 2017 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  886
Joined  2011-04-22
Ancient Orange - 03 December 2017 02:17 PM

Georgia and Alabama getting in isn’t a referendum on the SEC. The SEC still stunk. Alabama’s resume doesn’t get it in in 2014, 2015, or 2016. Just a weird year in that sense.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 04 December 2017 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
MattSmith - 04 December 2017 09:50 AM
Ancient Orange - 03 December 2017 02:17 PM

Georgia and Alabama getting in isn’t a referendum on the SEC. The SEC still stunk. Alabama’s resume doesn’t get it in in 2014, 2015, or 2016. Just a weird year in that sense.

It is a weird year but Bama’s resume is garbage this year.  I wish Miami hadnt bailed the committee out by losing to Pitt.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 04 December 2017 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2012-07-10

The real winner is Notre Dame.  It doesn’t matter this year, but this is now the second straight year that a non-conference champ has got into the playoffs.  If there was any thought that the playoffs would force ND to join a league you can kiss that idea goodbye.

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2017 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3340
Joined  2009-01-07

I think the committee got it right. I think Bama is a tough draw as a number 4 seed though.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 11 December 2017 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Still hoping Clemson and UGA win setting up a knockdown dragout fight in Atlanta.  That is the coot’s worst nightmare too.

https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/if-clemson-and-uga-were-to-play-for-the-nc-who-would-you-want-to-win.254552/

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 11 December 2017 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

If UF was half decent the coots would all quit caring about football.  Their only sliver of hope is to get some FL talent while the door is cracked.  If the Vols recover to 7-5 and UF to 9-3 the coots will average out to their historical 6-6. 

In some ways the hope that Spurrier gave that fan base just to snatch it away was worse for them than continuing to be bad.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 12 December 2017 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29
_ClemScott_ - 04 December 2017 10:51 AM

The real winner is Notre Dame.  It doesn’t matter this year, but this is now the second straight year that a non-conference champ has got into the playoffs.  If there was any thought that the playoffs would force ND to join a league you can kiss that idea goodbye.

Except, if you think the Big 10 and the PAC 12 to a lesser degree are going to sit back and watch the SeC get two teams in especially during a down year for them you are kidding yourself. It’s all happy face, stiff upper lip now but come winter time after the championship? The move to 6 or 8 is already underway.

I thought Notre Dame getting in over a conference champ would force it…instead it will be a non conference champ Alabama who barely had any quality wins and lost to the only truly good team they played. The end result will be the same.

Oh and the best response in that Gamecock thread was ISIS winning it all. Lol

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2017 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  886
Joined  2011-04-22
SoPinesHeel - 12 December 2017 01:43 AM

Except, if you think the Big 10 and the PAC 12 to a lesser degree are going to sit back and watch the SeC get two teams in especially during a down year for them you are kidding yourself. It’s all happy face, stiff upper lip now but come winter time after the championship? The move to 6 or 8 is already underway.

I thought Notre Dame getting in over a conference champ would force it…instead it will be a non conference champ Alabama who barely had any quality wins and lost to the only truly good team they played. The end result will be the same.

Think you’re overreacting here Pines. This isn’t 2014 when TCU went 11-1 with a 3-point road loss to No. 5 couldn’t get in. Ohio State’s resume was awful, and I think Jim Delany and Big Ten fans understand that. Just not many great resumes this year, which benefited Alabama. No one feels like the CFP is missing out on a great team by not having Ohio State in it.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 12 December 2017 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

They will if Clemson beats Alabama by 2 scores.  What will they say then?  Alabama has the weakest schedule of everyone involved minus maybe Wisconsin, maybe equal.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 12 December 2017 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4933
Joined  2009-09-09

Good discussion.  While I don’t want to see the CFP expand beyond the 4 teams, I do think some tweaks can be made to assure the best possible 4 teams in such a way that can take away some of the subjectivity so what goes on behind the doors of the CFP is less mysterious.

Matt and I agree that if all conferences do away with divisional play and use the best 2 teams play for the conference final you have really increased the importance of winning your conference which I think needs to be protected. 

Expanding the playoffs sets up a potential for teams to play their back-ups and essentially throw a game if the tournament is so large that a team can lose a game and still knows they are it.

The CFP committee surprised me by not picking teams to represent other TV markets.  Pickling OSU over Bama would have made that happen.

Now that people are markedly less interested the bowls more than ever, it’s inevitable that the plays are going to expand.  I think it will move to 6 eventually with 1 & 2 getting a bye week.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 13 December 2017 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29
MattSmith - 12 December 2017 12:09 PM
SoPinesHeel - 12 December 2017 01:43 AM

Think you’re overreacting here Pines. This isn’t 2014 when TCU went 11-1 with a 3-point road loss to No. 5 couldn’t get in. Ohio State’s resume was awful, and I think Jim Delany and Big Ten fans understand that. Just not many great resumes this year, which benefited Alabama. No one feels like the CFP is missing out on a great team by not having Ohio State in it.

I don’t disagree that Alabama was probably the right choice…based on the ones available, but two of the five major conferences are missing out with one of them being one of the perceived big dogs. I just don’t think they are gonna sit back and be quiet about it.

Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ Bama vs Ohio St?     Bowl Games ››