2 of 3
Alaba­ma Just Killed The 4 Team Playoff
Posted: 13 December 2017 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2013-02-22

This is why we can’t have nice things…

I would agree that Alabama is PROBABLY one of the 4 best teams in the country, but I would NOT agree that their wins were better than Ohio State’s. As to the fact that OSU had 2 losses, let’s not forget that the Buckeyes played 9 Big Ten teams and no FCS, while Bama played 8 SEC teams and one FCS… had Ohio State substituted Kent State for Iowa, they’d be in. IMO, this just underlines the fact that college football has always overemphasized losses while downplaying wins and strength of schedule.

Oh, well, they didn’t ask me!

Signature 

Owner of http://www.ACCFootballRx.Blogspot.com

Posted: 18 December 2017 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  512
Joined  2012-01-24

If Clemson hadn’t lost to Syracuse and then lost to Miami in the ACCCG, wouldn’t Clemson be deserving of the 4th spot? That would have put 2 ACC team in. The job was to put the 4 best teams in the CFB. I think they got it right and if the above scenario had happened, I would agree that Clemson deserved to be in as well.

Posted: 18 December 2017 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2013-02-22
Dawgsfan - 18 December 2017 10:03 AM

If Clemson hadn’t lost to Syracuse and then lost to Miami in the ACCCG, wouldn’t Clemson be deserving of the 4th spot? That would have put 2 ACC team in. The job was to put the 4 best teams in the CFB. I think they got it right and if the above scenario had happened, I would agree that Clemson deserved to be in as well.

Would Clemson still have been one of the 4 best teams? YES.
Would they have “deserved to be in” if they lost the CCG? I don’t think so.
Georgia DESERVES to represent the SEC in the CFP playoffs. A team which didn’t even win its division, much less the conference, doe not. Again, JMO.

Signature 

Owner of http://www.ACCFootballRx.Blogspot.com

Posted: 18 December 2017 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12826
Joined  2008-10-29

And a team who barely has any good wins on their resume.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 18 December 2017 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6731
Joined  2009-09-09

There are so many ways too look at this..All have good talking points…

As for Bama-tOSU, they both won 11 games…t-OSU’s last win was a conference championship game against the #4 ranked team…Bama last game was a sizable loss against Aurburn that left them home with a signature win against the team that lost to Troy.

Bama got in because they are “probably” better and not based on anything decided on the field.  This is the “eye test” which I don’t like

Signature 

Tomorrow morning…...get our people down to the docks.

I want every man and woman coming off the boats…...given hot soup and bread. We’re burying a lot of votes here tonight.

William “Boss” Tweed: Gangs of New York

Posted: 18 December 2017 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12826
Joined  2008-10-29

If Bama wins or puts up a good fight I think the talk will die down.  If we somehow beat Bama by about 2 scores or more (like i hope we do), I think you will see a crapstorm of arguments of why Bama shouldn’t be there.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 18 December 2017 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6731
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 18 December 2017 02:26 PM

If Bama wins or puts up a good fight I think the talk will die down.  If we somehow beat Bama by about 2 scores or more (like i hope we do), I think you will see a crapstorm of arguments of why Bama shouldn’t be there.

Don’t get me excited..The thought of smoking bama by double digits is a scary thought..

Signature 

Tomorrow morning…...get our people down to the docks.

I want every man and woman coming off the boats…...given hot soup and bread. We’re burying a lot of votes here tonight.

William “Boss” Tweed: Gangs of New York

Posted: 18 December 2017 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  975
Joined  2011-04-22
Dawgsfan - 18 December 2017 10:03 AM

Clemson probably still gets in if they had lost a close game to Miami in addition to Syracuse.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 18 December 2017 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  504
Joined  2014-03-26
Ancient Orange - 04 December 2017 10:27 AM
MattSmith - 04 December 2017 09:50 AM
Ancient Orange - 03 December 2017 02:17 PM

It is BS that a mediocre SEC got 2 in.

Georgia and Alabama getting in isn’t a referendum on the SEC. The SEC still stunk. Alabama’s resume doesn’t get it in in 2014, 2015, or 2016. Just a weird year in that sense.

It is a weird year but Bama’s resume is garbage this year.  I wish Miami hadnt bailed the committee out by losing to Pitt.

I’m no Bama fan but what about quality loss?. Tell you what, name the last national champ to lose to a 4 and 8 team during the regular season. I think the committee got it right. OSU is a former shell of itself.

Posted: 18 December 2017 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-26

Oh, just for clarification, name the last team in the top four at regular seasons end that lost to a 4 and 8 team during the regular season. Seriously, I have no idea, that’s why I’m asking. Put Tim Bourette on it.

I think CU absolutely deserves to be in it and are probably the best team of the four. But, I think that inexcusable loss disqualifies then from being ranked #1. I get the Bama quality wins. I do. But that loss was aweful. Injuries are part of football. Period.

My gut says that Cu is better than Okie but looking at the body of work and all of the nonsense that the committee says that they consider, Okie should be #1. If I were a Cu fan I’d prefer that.

Posted: 18 December 2017 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4775
Joined  2013-01-17

There were A LOT of injuries.  We were down 4 DB’s, 1 QB, and a kicker against a team that finished #28 in offense despite losing their QB for 3-5 games at the end of the year.  I believe we missed 2 kicks that would have won the game but our backup kicker didn’t have his legs under him yet.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 18 December 2017 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  975
Joined  2011-04-22
buzzzard - 18 December 2017 10:46 PM

Oh, just for clarification, name the last team in the top four at regular seasons end that lost to a 4 and 8 team during the regular season. Seriously, I have no idea, that’s why I’m asking. Put Tim Bourette on it.

I think CU absolutely deserves to be in it and are probably the best team of the four. But, I think that inexcusable loss disqualifies then from being ranked #1. I get the Bama quality wins. I do. But that loss was aweful. Injuries are part of football. Period.

My gut says that Cu is better than Okie but looking at the body of work and all of the nonsense that the committee says that they consider, Okie should be #1. If I were a Cu fan I’d prefer that.

Oklahoma lost to 5-7 Texas and Michigan State lost to 5-7 Nebraska in 2015. Both made the playoff.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 18 December 2017 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-26
Ancient Orange - 18 December 2017 10:56 PM

There were A LOT of injuries.  We were down 4 DB’s, 1 QB, and a kicker against a team that finished #28 in offense despite losing their QB for 3-5 games at the end of the year.  I believe we missed 2 kicks that would have won the game but our backup kicker didn’t have his legs under him yet.

In a all due respect, that’s part of the game. The biggest mistake was Elliot or Dabo or whoever decided to start KB in that game. Someone made that decision.

Posted: 18 December 2017 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-26
MattSmith - 18 December 2017 11:05 PM
buzzzard - 18 December 2017 10:46 PM

Oklahoma lost to 5-7 Texas and Michigan State lost to 5-7 Nebraska in 2015. Both made the playoff.

Thanks Matt, had no idea.

Posted: 18 December 2017 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-26

Know it’s incremental but still looking for 4 and 8, Matt.

2 of 3

‹‹ Bama vs Ohio St?     Bowl Games ››