Bowl Games
Posted: 03 December 2017 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11653
Joined  2008-10-29

Any you are interested in other than the playoffs?  ACC got 10 bids, 10 of 14 ain’t to bad folks.

I think VT will have their hands full with Oklahoma St.  Interested in the Wake vs Texas A&M matchup I think that will be a good one.  Louisville vs Miss St as well.

Outside of the ACC, the Cotton Bowl with USC vs Ohio St should be interesting.  And lets count how many times Clowney’s unblocked hit on the Michigan RB is replayed when USCjr goes against Michigan once again in the Outback bowl.  (the Lamecock destination of choice BTW since that is their ceiling.)

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 03 December 2017 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3784
Joined  2013-01-17

Not that interested in most of them right now but I’m sure that will change.  The OKST matchup is a bit tough.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 03 December 2017 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4933
Joined  2009-09-09

I am interested in the ones that happen after Christmas.  These earlier bowls that are full of MAC, C-USA, AAC teams are just not interesting.

The ones that involve P5 schools and in particular the ACC I want to check in on.

As usual, there are way too many bowls!

It’s a shame we are in a time when winning a conference or going to a decent bowl isn’t good enough.

The CFP is making the Bowl system obsolete

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 03 December 2017 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Bowls were obsolete far before the CFB.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 03 December 2017 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I do think it has put a bit of a damper on the big bowls.  Like do you really think Ohio St, Auburn, Wisconsin, etc fans really care now?  They tasted the playoff and now are just in another bowl not in the final 4.  That is the block of games that don’t matter anymore because the teams/fans don’t care.  Anything above or below that it’s still a nice treat.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 04 December 2017 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

But more teams get a shot at providence.  The championship is far more legitimate than it was previously. 

If Clemson was in an Orange Bowl vs tOSU I would be happy.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 04 December 2017 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7737
Joined  2008-10-29

No real surprises to me in the bowls…speaking of VT I too don’t think they will be able to outscore Oklahoma St. bad matchup for them.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 11 December 2017 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

So first, when announcing bowls ESPN puts up the SC State logo for the Lamecocks spot in the Outback bowl, then they get the time and date wrong.  Now they’ve gone and done a FULL Outback Bowl coverage segment on their bowl show where they substitute Mississippi St for USCjr and the hosts have ZERO clue.  They even have video highlights for it!!!  This couldn’t be any better.

This is the definition of irrelevancy and you can’t tell me any different.  They haven’t had a problem with Michigan this entire time.  They don’t care who what when why or how with the coots and I love it.  Irrelevant.

Flip side is, are we sure this is the network we want to sign our souls to in a TV deal for the next X number of years in an aging and tired TV market?  I mean we won’t get mistakes like this because we’re good but still….it’s a bit embarrassing for a college football show.

https://twitter.com/JackMacCFB/status/940070853638627329

Here is the graphic mistake
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article187875034.html

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 11 December 2017 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3340
Joined  2009-01-07
CU_Tigers4life - 03 December 2017 08:02 PM

I am interested in the ones that happen after Christmas.  These earlier bowls that are full of MAC, C-USA, AAC teams are just not interesting.

The ones that involve P5 schools and in particular the ACC I want to check in on.

As usual, there are way too many bowls!

I agree. I would rather not have them because it’s like a tease having games on, but then you look and don’t care about either team.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 11 December 2017 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

The earlier bowls give me a bridge from the championships to the playoffs so I enjoy watching one a night leading into the holidays.  Some of the smaller bowls give the best drama with OT and last second wins, great catches, etc.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 12 December 2017 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7737
Joined  2008-10-29

Same with the FCS playoffs, I caught the tail end of JMU/Weber St game while eating dinner in a chow hall and it was so exciting.

Sometimes the small bowls are the best games.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 12 December 2017 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3885
Joined  2011-02-04

Maybe a bowl pick em group would have you caring more?

Posted: 12 December 2017 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

I’m in for a bowl pickem.    Winner picks the losers signature for a year? Maybe just a month of next season?  Avatar instead?

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 12 December 2017 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3885
Joined  2011-02-04

The loser would have to be the guy who comes in last place.

Posted: 12 December 2017 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2013-02-22

I’ll probably watch as many of the ACC bowls as I can, plus a few more as time permits. The only “must see” bowls are the playoffs and whatever bowl Virginia Tech is in. It’s nice if the other ACC teams can also win - that definitely helps perception of the league, future rankings, etc. Call it the SEC-SEC-SEC effect?

Signature 

Owner of http://www.ACCFootballRx.Blogspot.com