Clemson May Lose 2 Coordinators
Posted: 05 December 2017 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4933
Joined  2009-09-09

It looks like UCF is taking a look at Tony Elliot and Arkansas is looking at Venables. This is the price of having a very successful program.  Good coordinators get opportunities to take their talents to the next level.  This is a bitter-sweet reality the game.

A huge part of Dabo’s success has not only been in the finding of quality coaches, but he has also paid them very well to keep them in Clemson.  Stability has played a huge role in our continues success.  Our coaches are compensated well enough so they can be far more selective for head coaching jobs that not only pay well, but have potential to win quickly rather than taking over a dumpster fire.

I am sure Dabo has a stack of resumes of quality people that he has been vetting with the anticipation of one day having to make the replacements.

I don’t know if we will actually lose either of these coaches, but if the have aspirations of being a head coach, their stock can’t be any higher than they are now.

If I was a betting man, I would think Elliot would move on if given the chance.  With Venables I am not so sure.  His kid is on the team, he is paid extremely well and I am fairly certain he would be Dabo’s replacement should he leaves for Alabama one day.  Venables may be happy coaching one side of the ball getting paid 2 million for a national power.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 05 December 2017 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  886
Joined  2011-04-22

Would be absolutely remarkable for a team to make three straight CFPs (and perhaps three straight title games) and not lose a coordinator. Almost feels like it has to happen.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 05 December 2017 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11653
Joined  2008-10-29

Really hate it too.  Possibly losing Venables is making me have the sky is falling thoughts.  He is by far and large the best DC in the nation with the talent at Clemson, he is the one person I don’t want to lose.  And it’s going to SUCK trying to replace him.  If Clemson fans aren’t concerned with this It worries me.  Like said, I think Dabo already knows his replacements, he always has a list but it’s going to be tough replacing Venables if he leaves.

Venables son is just a commit for next year, no son on the team yet.  Though Jake does seem overly excited about Clemson.

I don’t like this at all lol.  Don’t like coaching changes, that can cause bumps in recruiting, never know what type of team you’ll field, don’t know how the current players will respond, etc.  Please stay Brent!!!!!!!

PS, I wish all this crap would happen after the playoffs.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 05 December 2017 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4933
Joined  2009-09-09

Make that 3…Jeff Scott Talking to South Alabama:

https://www.tigernet.com/update/Report-Jeff-Scott-to-interview-for-head-coaching-job-28923?ref=front

Dabo will pay him more than S. Alabama can afford…I am hoping this is just for practice.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 05 December 2017 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Yep I think it’s just them getting experience doing it.  More worried about Venables than anyone else right now.  I think he has the best shot at the jobs mentioned for and is the most likely to leave as he has no real ties to Clemson other than currently coaching here.

For whatever reason, maybe it’s just warped reality, I think it will be easier to find a new OC than find a DC to replace Venables.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 05 December 2017 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

UCF looking like they will hire Missouri OC as HC and Randy Shannon as DC.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 05 December 2017 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3784
Joined  2013-01-17

I doubt we lose any of them to those suitors.  UFC isn’t a bad gig for Elliot but he can do better.  South bama is below Scott.  Ark is below Venables.  They all make a lot of money.  OC’s are Clemson men and very young and i highly doubt their stock would drop any in the coming years.  Venables is a loyal man and I think he loves his job.  I think he wants to coach his son here too. 

Venables is the hardest to replace but I think one call to Hobby and we’re full again.  I’m sure it’s a huge pay bump and he knows the culture and system.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 05 December 2017 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Tony Elliott won the 2017 Broyles Award.  That makes Clemson the first ever school to have back to back Broyles Award winners.

If all of our guys stay put we could run CFB for multiple years to come.  Unlikely to happen with career advancement but dang, could be awesome.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 06 December 2017 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  654
Joined  2010-06-05

I’d be absolutely shocked if Venables took the Arkansas job. His results will drop, and he’ll have less talent. For what? Clemson could match the money if they chose to.

Either way, Dabo has proven to be pretty good at finding talented coordinators. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if I were a Clemson fan.

Signature 

Go Noles.

Posted: 06 December 2017 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
eslerman - 06 December 2017 09:38 PM

I’d be absolutely shocked if Venables took the Arkansas job. His results will drop, and he’ll have less talent. For what? Clemson could match the money if they chose to.

Either way, Dabo has proven to be pretty good at finding talented coordinators. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if I were a Clemson fan.

We’re not.  They hired another Clemson coordinator anyway, well excoordinator, Chad Morris.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 08 December 2017 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Not much need to go anywhere when you are getting paid very well and have this going for your team…..we’re a playoff team with just 6 seniors.  Yeah I’ll take this in an off year.

Number of Seniors on the CFB Playoff teams rosters:
Georgia - 31 (I guess about 18ish scholarship)
Oklahoma - 22
Alabama - 21
Clemson - 6

https://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Venables-message-about-his-future-to-4-star-commit-28967

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 08 December 2017 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

9 Scholarship seniors.  5 contributes. 

https://www.tigernet.com/view/scholarships/football.do

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 09 December 2017 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7737
Joined  2008-10-29

Dang son…how did y’all get that young? Can’t just be early departures to the NFL can it?

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 09 December 2017 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
SoPinesHeel - 09 December 2017 03:13 AM

Dang son…how did y’all get that young? Can’t just be early departures to the NFL can it?

at some point our classes became unbalanced and early NFL departures made it worse.  We will have some more juniors leave this year to rebalance the 18 class. 

We should be damn good next year too.  Like 15 we are a year ahead of projections again.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

‹‹ Bowl Games     Chad Morris to Arkansas ››