Can’t wait until Amazon can stream NCAA FB
Posted: 01 January 2018 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12409
Joined  2008-10-29

Inc long post ranting on ESPN3.

No idea if it will ever happen, but you have to think it might.  I’m trying to watch Auburn vs UCF on another screen through ESPN 3 and it’s the most horrid excuse for a streaming service I’ve seen in my life.  My ISP is providing me a constant 100-120Mbps (never below) download to my house but ESPN 3 buffers every 30 seconds or so.  Not sure if they can’t handle the traffic or what but it’s terrible.

My question is, why hasn’t a conference approached Amazon for a deal vs going with the same old tired horse that is ESPN?  Seems like it could be incredibly lucrative to me for better streaming services.  I guess Amazon would have to make a heavy investment into cameras and broadcast gear if they went fully solo but you’d think they could outsource it to someone and just own the rights like they’ve been doing with some NFL while providing the better online infrastructure.  I believe they did some NCAA March Madness last year too.  I’ve never had any issues streaming off of Amazon or Twitch.  ESPN 3 is now 12 years old, and it feels like they haven’t updated it ever.

Disney/ESPN may have TV infrastructure but it can’t hold Amazon’s jock in sheer operating power, and Amazon owns the online space.  There will come a time eventually when TV fully shifts to online, as radio went to TV, and Disney will have a problem.  Seems smart to me to get in early and at least see if Amazon is interested.  Streams for any sport you want to watch from any school in the conference.  It gives you more choices, more leeway on time slots, instant saved replays which keep driving eyes to your networks and your banner ads that you can place on the page, which in turn gives even more power to advertisers who are already getting more value from Facebook ads than a TV slot.  As a consumer of the media, it just blows my mind it hasn’t happened.  I’m not privy to the ins and outs I guess but on the surface it’s pretty much a no brainer.

I think a huge catalyst will be if and when Amazon becomes it’s own ISP.  Or if they can control any of the ISPs.  They probably need a bit more fiber type infrastructure laidor fancy new satellite wifi to really provide the service widespread but they could still get into the game now.

You all are probably tired of me screaming for this stuff but I seriously can’t be this smart.  I mean I’ll take it but I struggle to believe no one else can see whats going on here.  If I’m the only one I need to get to work to make my billions.  The problem is these network execs are comfortable and believe TV will always be viable when they are already losing money, employees, and viewers by the metric ton.

If you really want to get progressive, clone Twitch for sports and give the broadcasting job to the school.  They own a set of gear, they film it, crew it, and generally work the broadcast, bring in a few unbiased commentators each week and then send that to the Twitch Sports platform which airs it live.  Give students a job, work experience, and a skill set instead of a general business degree with mountains of debt behind it and no idea what to do after school.

End of rant.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 01 January 2018 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4412
Joined  2013-01-17

I agree ESPN’s streaming is pretty bad considering it’s 2018.  They could send their stream right to youtube/twitch and get a much better result.  The infrastructure is already there, they just need to make a deal. 

Or like you said they can continue to be complacent and in a year or two we’ll be getting better footage off of cell phones live-streaming from the stands.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 01 January 2018 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3910
Joined  2008-10-29

Disney’s deal with 21st looks to me like they are going to start their own streaming service. Maybe that will beef up ESPN’s. The game referenced is on my TV, but I’m not watching it.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!