CBS Article Pushing For an 8 Team Playoff
Posted: 04 January 2018 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5215
Joined  2009-09-09

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/why-an-eight-team-college-football-playoff-could-come-to-pass-sooner-than-we-expect/

They are saying the same thing we already know…TV dollars is the big driving force with more regional involvement.

I have been in favor of keeping it 4 games, but I must say that watching even the large bowls and seeing poorly attended fans made the whole experience of enjoying the game less fun..

Perhaps its time to let go and come to the conclusion the expanding the playoffs is inevitable. 

The conferences are not going to give up their conference title games as it is a cash cow according to this article so it will be interesting to how this evolves and when the expansion will occur.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 05 January 2018 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2009-07-04

Hate the idea. They are following the NFLs model and I think it breeds mediocreism

Posted: 05 January 2018 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3486
Joined  2009-01-07

I like it at four. When you go to eight, you’ll still have a few teams saying they should’ve been the number 8 team, and they’ll have a legitimate claim. There are more that can claim 8 versus those that can claim 4. Once you get past number 5, you’ll be including teams nobody thinks is really deserving of being number 1. You’re also adding more games and more time they can’t be students.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 05 January 2018 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5215
Joined  2009-09-09
Curggr - 05 January 2018 11:48 AM

I like it at four. When you go to eight, you’ll still have a few teams saying they should’ve been the number 8 team, and they’ll have a legitimate claim. There are more that can claim 8 versus those that can claim 4. Once you get past number 5, you’ll be including teams nobody thinks is really deserving of being number 1. You’re also adding more games and more time they can’t be students.

Mike Leach had a different take on it that was done in a way that only ML could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_nuMEtwUW4

I have been giving this a lot of though like many fans do.  I am settling in on a 6 team format.  It just seems to make more sense the more I think about it.

#1 and #2 still get a bye.  3-6 play just one week after the Conference championships.

It doesn’t have to be connected to a conference champ, but it most likely will pick up a few more.  I don’t support affirmative action for group or 5 schools getting special access unless they play an appropriate stronger schedule. (Now if the P5 schools are required to play some Go5 programs that would be fine).

I am not worried about the student athlete aspect…The FBS is the only league that doesn’t have a tourney and everyone else does fine.

I just don’t want the month of November compromised as it is the best month in sports and that belongs to college football when championships are truly decided.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 05 January 2018 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7933
Joined  2008-10-29

“The ACC rights are worth so much because of North Carolina-Duke”
Basketball is so stupid. Lol.

The playoffs will expand before 2026. Leaving the Big 10 and Pac 12 out cemented that fact more than an All SeC championship game that will be a ratings dud.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)