Ditching your season end rival game
Posted: 07 January 2018 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3994
Joined  2011-02-04

I’m wondering how you would feel if Clemson stopped playing USCe, UGA stopped playing GT, Auburn stopped playing Alabama, ND stopped playing USCw etc.?

The condition would be that you move one of your other rival games in its place and it would free you up a chance to play a different OOC game in the season or even add an extra conference game.

I thought about this and I would be fine with discontinuing the game against UF and just playing UM at the end of year. I’d be OK with the extra conference game or working out a deal with USF-UCF to have a series of 2 home (at FSU) 1 away games.

Posted: 07 January 2018 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11996
Joined  2008-10-29

No, it’s simple.  Eliminate ALL non P5 or at the very least Div II and Socon type games on the schedule.  That will free up a slot on it’s own.  We don’t need to play the little pansy in state school games, or the Kent States of the world.

Even though the results on the field show otherwise, USCjr > Citadel.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 07 January 2018 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5278
Joined  2009-09-09

Rivalry week is one of the things that makes college football so special and very different from the NFL.  To take these games away would pick away would lessen the game. 

Not every rivalry game is huge but on a local level it can be a big deal.  In SC, you have only have t major schools that are a 2 hour drive from each other and the fans live among each other in the whole state and that game will never go away.

I still think the best thing for the ACC is to end divisional play, dump the FCS game and add a 9th league game.  This would provide so much flexibility in scheduling that would allow more programs to play each other rather than being locked into playing the same 8 teams every year.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 07 January 2018 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  915
Joined  2011-04-22

ACC isn’t going to nine unless the SEC does. And the SEC isn’t going to nine.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 08 January 2018 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  467
Joined  2012-01-24

Rivalry week is special, there are rivalries inside the conference as well that bring just as much fan craziness as GT week. UT and UF games are big for UGA as well. I could deal with just 1 of the beating up your little brother games just for the fact of the amount of funding that it delivers to a Georgia Southern or Citadel. One game check can fund their gymnastics or baseball team for a year. That is a big help to those schools. It happens in basketball more than football. Look at the warmup games played before they start the real games.

Posted: 08 January 2018 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5278
Joined  2009-09-09
MattSmith - 07 January 2018 08:05 PM

ACC isn’t going to nine unless the SEC does. And the SEC isn’t going to nine.

I think there will be a push to somehow standardize how many conference games will be played in the criteria of the CFP.  When you have 2 SEC teams in the not only the playoff, but the championship game (this could apply to the ACC as well), the rest of those conferences that play a 9 game rotation will not sit back and not press this matter for change.

Expansion will sure be one thing pushed for…

All conferences being required to play the same number of conference games..

Doing away with the FCS game and be required to play a group of 5 program.

I an with Dawgs about the financial help these FCS schools get for playing the money game.  Some athletic departments would have to either drop sports of dial it back severely if they didn’t have a change to play the money game…

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 08 January 2018 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3490
Joined  2009-01-07

I would hate to see an end to the rivalry game. That is a special time and something people look forward to all year. In the SoCon they moved the game between the Citadel and Furman from rivalry week to just another game in the schedule and I think it hurt the rivalry.

I don’t have a problem with teams playing a game against an FCS school. I think the in-state ones are fun. Several years ago, they added a game to the schedule and everyone just used that to add another easy one. They could easily reduce those by one.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 14 January 2018 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7945
Joined  2008-10-29

What? Clemson fans now okay with 9 games and getting rid of 1-aa game? Welcome to the team.

We were going to nine and Clemson, GT, FSU killed it. 9 games would help all the schools save some money on paying another team to coming get their butt kicked in your stadium.

I think we are going to see the PAC12 and Big 10 flex some muscle coming up…the playoffs are gonna change and the qualifications to get into the playoffs are gonna change.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 14 January 2018 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4047
Joined  2013-01-17

I don’t need 9 ACC games but would like to see the power 5 limited to 1 non-P5 game a year.  I would be fine with zero but it would kill a lot of small programs, not that every schools should have a football team anyway…

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 14 January 2018 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Right, not saying 9 ACC games, but drop the cupcake for a P5 game.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 15 January 2018 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3490
Joined  2009-01-07
Clemtgrs - 14 January 2018 02:47 PM

Right, not saying 9 ACC games, but drop the cupcake for a P5 game.

^This.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 15 January 2018 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Just look at this tweet.  This is where we are in CFB today.  I mean come on, Mercer.  People need to start playing somebody IMO and home and homes not split stadiums.  Make it tougher.  Clemson does their part.  Auburn, UGA, Texas A&M…

https://twitter.com/ClowESPN/status/951831947323543553

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS