1 of 2
Clemson has some surprises coming back
Posted: 13 January 2018 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12409
Joined  2008-10-29

Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant both are returning for the 2018 season.  HUGE.  That means apart from Christian Wilkins depending on what he is doing we could have the whole starting Dline returning next year.  Going to at least have 3 of the 4.  That is so awesome.

Kendall Joseph one of our better LBs is also returning.  Mark Fields coming back, can help out our secondary.

Funny, the guys that I think can go 1-2 rounds no later than 3 are staying, and the guys that are leaving probably should stay another year IMO (Ray Ray McCloud and Deon Cain).

I’m hyped already.  And then we are adding 2 huge defensive recruits to that in KJ Henry and XT.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 13 January 2018 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4412
Joined  2013-01-17

I can’t believe we kept both DEs.  I would be shocked if we keep Wilkins.  DL will be very next year. 

Yea rrmc left too early as he’s still a bit raw.  Cain doesn’t surprise me tho.  Both will destroy the combine.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 13 January 2018 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Does this mean we have the number 1-2 recruiting class now that we have retained 3 of 4 defensive line starters that would have been drafted?

I really thought 1 more year and Ray Ray could of killed it.  He progressed much more than Cain did IMO.  I can’t help but feel Cain kept underachieving at Clemson.  Real good WR that has the size and ability to compete at next level, but he just never put it all together here.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 14 January 2018 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Both were limited by KB and playcalling this year too.  Might be why they left.  They will look foolish if Rodgers and Higgins get get 1000 yards each with TL throwing.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 14 January 2018 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  458
Joined  2014-03-26

Ferrell was definitely a first rounder. Makes no sense. If he were my son I’d tell him about the bird in the hand.

Posted: 14 January 2018 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
buzzzard - 14 January 2018 01:19 AM

Ferrell was definitely a first rounder. Makes no sense. If he were my son I’d tell him about the bird in the hand.

I agree.  He may be more worried about overall development and longevity in the league which is smart but too risky at the same time.  If I were him I would go.  First round money will leave you set for life.  Plus Clemson will have some really good depth at DE next year so he doesn’t need to feel like he’s leaving us high and dry.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 14 January 2018 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5548
Joined  2009-09-09

I find it refreshing that these players are sticking around.  I get all of the financial, but they are attending a school that treats them like royalty, have facilities second to none and are probably having the times of their lives.  I think their staying is a real testament to the staff and how special Clemson has become. 

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 14 January 2018 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7983
Joined  2008-10-29

Good for Clemson but everything I have ever heard is that the NFL wants linemen out as soon as they can and wants QBs to stay in school as long as possible.

Surprised they are coming back.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 15 January 2018 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
SoPinesHeel - 14 January 2018 01:10 PM

Good for Clemson but everything I have ever heard is that the NFL wants linemen out as soon as they can and wants QBs to stay in school as long as possible.

Surprised they are coming back.

From what I am reading their projections slips some of them into the 2nd round due to the probability that as many as 5 QB’s may be going in the 1st round.  With the rookie cap this might be t he reason if these items are accurate.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2018 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

The longer it takes Wilkins to decide, the better chance he returns.  If he was sure about his draft range, and sure about the NFL it would of already been decided I would think.  I’d love to have him back.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 15 January 2018 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4167
Joined  2011-02-04

Just the opposite happening at FSU, surprises leaving early.

Posted: 15 January 2018 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Christian Wilkins returning to Clemson….WOW!!!!!  All 4 starting DLine returning to Clemson.  Huge.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 15 January 2018 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  940
Joined  2011-04-22

Clemson going 10-2 next season would be a complete disaster. Schedule is very friendly. Give A&M and FSU a puncher’s chance. No one else should come within 14.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 15 January 2018 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3526
Joined  2009-01-07

Unbelievable! I can’t believe all those guys stayed. Yeargin will be back from his injury too. That is going to be a nasty defense - again.

Aside from the fan perspective, I really hope it works out for all these guys and pray none of them have an injury.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 15 January 2018 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

IT’s Morphing Time!

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2018 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Hope you are right Matt.  Let’s hope Lawrence lives up to his billing.

It’s hard to argue our defense won’t be good.  Of the 44 sacks last year, 39 of them are coming back.  Taking our entire starting Dline, returning it and adding Xavier Thomas and KJ Henry to the mix.  Along with the good guys we had already sitting behind the starters.  Lose a few in the secondary but I feel like some of those backups were just as good if not better this year and questioned why they were not playing more.  Glad we have Joseph back at LB, but might need some more help there, someone has to step up and be the guy.  Overall really scary for offenses still.

I like our schedule.  Early trip to A&M might be tough, as Jimbo might have them revitalized enough to be hyped about the season to get us.  Dabo usually ready for these type of big games early though.  But we get NCST at home, Louisville at home, Syracuse (you have to consider them dangerous now that we lost to them lol) and South Carolina at home.  FSU is kinda in the same category as A&M, new coach new outlook.  I think you may be spot on Matt.

One thing to note not many are thinking about, next season we will have Greg Huegel back along with our new shiny kicker BT Potter.  Should be a DRASTIC improvement in both kickoffs and FGs for us.

Curggr - 15 January 2018 06:27 PM

Unbelievable! I can’t believe all those guys stayed. Yeargin will be back from his injury too. That is going to be a nasty defense - again.

Aside from the fan perspective, I really hope it works out for all these guys and pray none of them have an injury.

Wow, I totally forgot about Yeargin.  Nasty line.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

1 of 2