Automation Is Rapidly Expanding In Commerce
Posted: 29 January 2018 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6427
Joined  2009-09-09

We haven’t talked about this in a while but I wanted to share an experience I had this weekend.  For the first time I used the Sam’s Club “Shop and Go” App on my phone and it was fantastic.  We scanned our items as we purchased them and when we were done, we paid on the phone, a bar code was displayed and we presented it at the door as we walked out.  The checked scanned it with a gun and we moved on with no waiting in line…...I loved it.

With that said, my wife and I felt a little bad because we know tech like this is going to replace the cashiers and other people…That is why places like Wal Mart recently announced that the start wage is going to be 11.00 per hour…they will have a smaller workforce to pay and can afford more.

This sort of reminds me back in the day when I still remember full service fuel stations and when self serve came so did full service because prices dropped.

“Amazon Go” just opened up its first store the scans as you shop and you literally walk out the door and get billed with no waiting in line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

This has to be a test ground to them bring this to the brick and mortar stores like Whole Foods and whatever else they are planning to acquire.

These innovations were going to come to the world anyway but I am sure that the the demand of higher wages for entry level work has accelerated bringing this to market sooner.  It will come to fast food and other similar types of high volume commerce where low prices are essential.

Thoughts?

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 30 January 2018 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  834
Joined  2009-07-04

I’ve read about this although I have not experienced it myself.

I worry more about the security aspects of this more than anything else. Cyber security is clearly the most pressing concern with all these fancy and robust technologies.

I don’t find waiting in line for a few minutes to be overly problematic so I will likely stay away from this as long as I can.

Posted: 30 January 2018 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I don’t find waiting in line for a few minutes to be overly problematic so I will likely stay away from this as long as I can.

Small lines I am OK with..but I despise going into a place that that doesn’t have enough registers open and the lines are long.  When I used the Sam’s Shop and Go app the store was packed and I bypassed all those long lines…I was good.

I have been shopping online for so long now that I would think buy locally with these new innovations are no more risky that buying something from Amazon.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 30 January 2018 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4753
Joined  2013-01-17

A couple layers of thought. 

It was a long time coming.  Increases in minimum wage help push it but at the same time I feel the minimum wage was due for a good bump.  Either way people will continue to get more expensive and tech will continue to get less expensive, eventually we will hit the break even. 

I’m more interest in the sociological effects.  There’s already an unhealthy divide in the country between different income classes.  Will removing the lower income classes make the educated/well off more apathetic towards the struggles of the poor since they will be less likely to even encounter them in day to day life?  Will they be more sympathetic because they will miss the human interaction? 

Social media has already had a huge impact on how we interact with each other and standard social behavior.  What will the mechanized labor do?  Will it reduce military enrollment as societies ties get looser and looser?  How about when schools get replaced by computers? 

I will say one thing.  Robots should be MUCH more sanitary.  There’s always been A LOT of doom and gloom about antibiotics and superbugs but if we continue to isolate our selves from others it may greatly reduce the spread of disease. 

Humans have always been the brain over brawn species but as we mechanize this will really become more important.  In some ways it’s sad.  In others it could really force us to compete more mentally and push the species forward. 

If we can mechanize labor that China, India, and Mexico do but at a cheaper rate the US will concrete itself at the top of the mountain.  I have no numbers to back this statement but I would imagine it would be quite crippling to their economies if major US corporations could pull out to produce domestically at a cheaper rate.  If we held our current economic advantage and own a larger portion of global production it could stabilize the growth rate of countries and keep the US at the top.  Many developing countries or countries that rely on their cheap labor to entice foreign companies could collapse under the weight of the unemployment that would be left behind when robots took over.  I would think the US and Europe would be most insulated from this. 

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 31 January 2018 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

great post…there’s a lot to take in on that one.  I do think pushing trade schools for those people not want to attend college but want more than being a server or a cashier is still needed.  We need carpenters, plumbers, electricians, heavy equipment operators, etc….Heck, I have a “handy man” that I use from time to time to do all types of odd jobs around the house because I just don’t have the time….He charges 40.00 per hour plus materials.  He does great work and turn down work all of the time because his plate is full…

I agree on the social game..too much social media and not enough face to face fellowship.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….