1 of 2
Proposal The Modify CFB Transfers
Posted: 31 January 2018 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5217
Joined  2009-09-09

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/proposal-to-let-athletes-transfer-instantly-after-a-coaching-change-picks-up-steam/

The highlight is a proposal to allow players to transfer if their coach (I’m assuming Head Coach) either leaves or gets fired.  It also prevents coaches from locking kids out of certain schools to transfer to.

This is a 2-edge sword and I lean against it.  We don’t need a wild west in college football….The only “upside” I can see is compelling a school to not be so fast to fire a coach or risk losing your players.

I like the graduate rule in place..it compels the player to finish his education so he can transfer.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 31 January 2018 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3976
Joined  2013-01-17

I like the new rule and think it’s more fair for the kids, which this should be about.  A kid shouldnt have to lose a year of elligibility if a school pulls a bait and switch on them.  Big difference between playing with Meyer or Muschamp. 

In regards to transfer locations that’s garbage too.  Conferences cover entire regions.  It’s unfair for a coach or school to limit a kids educational and athletic options due to a fear of competition.  Stop making kids scrap a year just to get to the school they want.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 31 January 2018 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

As much as I hate using the NFL as a comparison I will in this case. Since college players are more and more wanting to be treated like the pros, then I will submit that NFL players don’t get to change teams when their coach gets fired or quit because they have a contract like a college athlete has a scholarship…I think “walk-ons” paying there own bills ought to be able to go where ever.

Should a school be able to put a “franchise tag” on a college player if the coach leaves?

It’s a worthy issue that deserves modification, but the school needs to be protected on their investment of bring a kid to their school, educating, housing,feeding as well…Perhaps the school that takes this kid should have to reimburse the school that he is leaving like a coaches buyout?

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 31 January 2018 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

What?!?!?!  Reimburse what a 20k scholarship ?  That’s absurd.  They are fine blowing $10,000,000 to fire a coach but need to be reimbursed for expenses incurred by players? 

As you are expecting, this is NOT the NFL where players are bought and paid for.  To my knowledge kids on academic scholarships can transfer at will.  Why not athletics? 

The schools are not the ones that need protection here.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 31 January 2018 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Let’s Dabo finally takes the Alabama gig one day and 15-20 guys that are among our elite players decides to transfer on top of the players we lose to graduation and the NFL….you are okay with that?..That could literally obliterate any program for years.

Don’t say that many wouldn’t leave at one time..the potential is there if allowed.

I am just throwing some “what-if’s”...

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 31 January 2018 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Yes because this isn’t about me it’s about the kids.  Could it suck for me?  Yea.  But it’s not life changing like it can be for the kids. 

Also this is the exception to the rule.  It’s far more likely for a coach to get canned by the school since everyone’s expectations are too high now.  Slowing down the firing of coaches would help stabilize cfb and this would improve that trend.  I would make my one exception is if coaches and schools let the contract expire they can keep the kids.  Just trying to keep everyone honest. 

I do think a coach shouldn’t be able to quit AND take kids with him.  Then schools would buy kids through coaching hires.  How much would tOSU and Texas pay for Bama’s coaching and players as a package? A LOT.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 31 January 2018 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Most kids transferring aren’t doing it for the academics…I think most Power 5 schools provide a fine education if you are speaking to the student aspect but I get what you are saying.

I think the Grad rule allowing kids with their degree to transfer is in the best interest of the student because it compels him to graduate.

I have been throwing out some extreme thoughts just to provoke discussion but where I am realistically is something to the effect that I would allow kids to transfer if the coach gets fired.  You may actually pick up a few extra kids that are staying away because a coach is on the “Hot Seat” and won’t commit because he’s afraid of the coach getting fired…..I would require a grace period to allow the player to meet the new coach and to have a cooling period before making an emotional decision.

I would not allow a transfer on a coach that takes another job.  I would qualify that for circumstances like the Willy Taggert situation where a coach only spent one year before jumping ship..Maybe after a coach has been at a program for 4-5 years let the buyer beware before he commits.

I think these are fair.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 01 February 2018 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3928
Joined  2011-02-04

How about if the head coach is replaced, you have to play for the new coach for 1 season and then you can transfer if it does not work out. The graduate rule is still in effect.

Posted: 01 February 2018 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7934
Joined  2008-10-29

I don’t think the current rules are too bad but I think there should be some kind of appeals process for when a certain coach is just being an A hole.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 05 February 2018 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2010-06-05

Aren’t scholarships year to year?

While a few coaches/schools like to claim otherwise, the reality is that a scholarship can be pulled after any year (I think). Therefore, kids should be able to move on after a year, just like schools can determine to move on if they so choose.

My solution is this:

1) Kids should be allowed to transfer and not lose eligibility at any point.
2) Conferences should restrict transfers to/from other in-conference schools.

This gives the players freedom with their talents, but also somewhat protects teams from having to face the frustrated player who transferred in-conference because he didn’t get to play his first season.

Signature 

Go Noles.

Posted: 05 February 2018 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Why worry about playing frustrated players?  Its dumb to force a kid from NC to go out of state when he has 3 other options just so he’s not in the ACC.  Plus you’re forcing him to downgrade his educational level by going to the SEC.  Is every program really one or two players away from being sabotaged by a transfer?  Doubt it.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 05 February 2018 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I am 100% against unrestricted transferring .  This would create an environment of colleges poaching players from other schools and it would become a circus.  It would create a huge environment of hostility between schools and it’s just not necessary.

I have no problem with requests for transfers on a case by case basis in the event of coaches being assholes, putting the player in danger, the school being on probation and that player wan’t involved…common sense stuff.

College football is in very good shape and if you keep tinkering with it you risk screwing it up.

Give them 5 years complete eligibility and allow them to transfer anywhere outside of their conference once the graduate.  That will compel them to speed up and graduate in three years and still have 2 years of eligibility if they want to stay.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 09 March 2018 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

This issue is still being kicked around..I still don’t like unrestricted transferes

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 09 March 2018 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11852
Joined  2008-10-29

Who cares really.  Let them transfer and go where they want to go.  If they are good enough to transfer out somewhere and have you worried about them in a game down the line then clearly you aren’t good enough either academically or athletically, improve.  If a guy goes from Clemson to SC State or ECU it’s thanks, once a tiger always a tiger.  But if they were to go to FSU, UGA, etc it’d be just pure hate.  Double standard.

Would you feel right to be held by your boss and not allowed to go to the company across town even though you’d be 10x happier and maybe do a better job?  Company I work for has taken multiple guys from the competing company, not because we actively recruited or “poached” them….it was simply a better opportunity/job/life for them.

Dabo sells a culture, if Dabo were to leave Clemson we probably wouldn’t have the same culture.  The kid committed to the school because of how it was under that coach, if the coach leaves let them choose.  That is the nature of coaching changes, especially when it’s a firing or sour end.  Makes the school think twice, look at Tennessee.  You think the kids that are committing to Alabama want to play for the guy that follows Saban or Saban?

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 09 March 2018 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Using the company you work for as a starting point, how many years did they visit you, call you, send you to the facility, house you, feed you before you took the job?

You can’t apply “normal” working conditions to college athletics.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 18 March 2018 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2010-06-05
Ancient Orange - 05 February 2018 08:19 AM

Why worry about playing frustrated players?  Its dumb to force a kid from NC to go out of state when he has 3 other options just so he’s not in the ACC.  Plus you’re forcing him to downgrade his educational level by going to the SEC.  Is every program really one or two players away from being sabotaged by a transfer?  Doubt it.

I’m not entirely opposed to unrestricted transfers, but in the situation I proposed, nobody is being forced to downgrade their education. First, it’s their decision to transfer, secondly, their are plenty of great educational opportunities inside the SEC or in other conferences. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to place some limitation on a kid that wants to transfer after a program has invested time and resources into developing a player. I’ve had non-compete clauses at jobs I’ve worked, and while I didn’t always love the notion, it certainly wasn’t unfair to me.

If a good player is upset about their play time and wants to transfer to Vandy or Ohio State, good luck to them. If they want to take our playbook and philosophies to Miami, who we play annually, that seems a little different. It’s not limiting their educational opportunities.

Signature 

Go Noles.

1 of 2