Lottery Winners Curse?
Posted: 06 February 2018 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5466
Joined  2009-09-09

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/06/curse-winning-lottery.html

I came across this story about a lot of lottery winners not living happily ever after…in fact many end up dead.

According to this article, only 2 States allow people to claim their lottery winnings anonymously…

It seems most of these people that died just were irresponsible or just plain stupid with how they handled the good fortune.

We see this with pro athletes that have no education and no money management skills end up in bad ways shortly after their time in pro sports ends…

I think we have all dreamed about winning the lottery…I would try to lay as low as possible so as few people would know.  I don’t want to live in a fish bowl worried about the boogieman..

It does seem wrong for people to not have the option to remain anonymous to collect their winnings. 

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 06 February 2018 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4266
Joined  2013-01-17

I think the problem with anonymity is it leaves an opportunity for cheating.  If there was cheating going on internally with the lottery the whole system would be at risk to fall apart. 

I could take home $2M, never work another day in my life, and live a very comfortable life.  Anything beyond that would just buy me more land.  Even if I took home $100M I would still want to work though.  Probably start a woman owned government contracting company with the gf.  Maybe buy a farm in Colorado…

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 06 February 2018 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3516
Joined  2009-01-07

Yeah, I think making it known is done for accountability, though it’s got to be tough for the winners to manage it when it’s announced.

I can see the social pressure being pretty challenging, but I’m certain I could manage it and not blow it all. When I win the lottery, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 06 February 2018 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2014-03-26

I’ll never hit the lottery because I don’t play it. Primarily because I’ve never won anything. Oh, there was that one occasion when I got to spin the wheel at the Shoe Carnival and won a six pack of tube socks.

If I played and hit the lottery, the first thing I’d do is throw my cell phone and alarm clock on the fire.

Posted: 06 February 2018 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12265
Joined  2008-10-29

I’d be happy because it allows me to do what I want to do to be happy.  I can say no to everyone that comes begging, but my immediate family would be set for life no question.  And I’m not a frivolous investor.  I could live on a lot less than half a billion dollars, but sure would be happy to have it.  Don’t give me the 16 room mansion, give me the land to make my 2-3 bedroom house disappear.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 07 February 2018 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3877
Joined  2008-10-29

I hate to generalize, who typically buys these tickets? The vast majority is desperate folks, in poor financial shape. Give someone who is not in the best of shape a big pile of cash, and what happens happens.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 07 February 2018 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4266
Joined  2013-01-17
UNC 98 - 07 February 2018 08:02 PM

I hate to generalize, who typically buys these tickets? The vast majority is desperate folks, in poor financial shape. Give someone who is not in the best of shape a big pile of cash, and what happens happens.

I don’t know if statistics agree but I would assume your assumption is correct.

Signature 

2016 National Champs