USDA proposes replacing food stamps with delivery service, added work requirements
Posted: 14 February 2018 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5181
Joined  2009-09-09

It’s hard to post a policy issue that will impact a lot of people without a political spin to it. I really don’t care about the politics as the concept….

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/usda-proposes-replacing-food-stamps-delivery-service-increase/story?id=53051445

From what I can tell, the boxes would replace about half of the current program’s cash benefits. All food would be grown domestically and include “shelf-stable” items such as juice, pasta, canned meat and beans. The USDA estimated it would save $129 billion over a decade, driven in part by the government’s unique purchasing power.  There will be some type of work requirement included…

I would be surprised if this actually happened. There is a big part of me that likes this.  When a person gets on public assistance, then you have to expect to lose a lot of choices when that assistance is coming from other people and the ultimate goal needs to be to get off the assistance and back to work.  Of course there are exceptions to everything but I am speaking to the able-body.

There is a part of me that thinks this is a little harsh….But again, when you put yourself to be in a dependent situation, the people that are writing the checks may have strings attached to that support.

Thoughts?

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 14 February 2018 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7924
Joined  2008-10-29

Screw those single mom moochers. The Koch brothers are the real victims of our tyrannical government. They just don’t have enough influence in our society.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 14 February 2018 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
SoPinesHeel - 14 February 2018 03:42 PM

Screw those single mom moochers. The Koch brothers are the real victims of our tyrannical government. They just don’t have enough influence in our society.

I’m not taking the bait old friend…As I said, there are things that bother me about this…It impacts more than single moms…Public assistance included most of my childhood so I have a point of view that some people may not have

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 14 February 2018 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7924
Joined  2008-10-29

I actually agree to a point but the conservative fake outrage machine seems to be in high gear with you today.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 14 February 2018 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Not really…There is plenty of political charged topics I could jump into but are avoiding…

I am a rather boring conservative fellow so my words reflect that…I am what I am.  We are in off-season and I don’t care about the Olympics, I sick of activist celebrities and yes..I am sick of politics..

Human interest, cultural, policy, Scouting are among the things I am reading these days

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 14 February 2018 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3471
Joined  2009-01-07

It’s an interesting idea that I could see having some benefit and some potential problems too. It says the program “would represent a portion of that household’s food stamps allotment.” I wonder how much.  I’ve seen headlines about this but haven’t read much about it. Do the families get any choice in what comes in the box?

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 14 February 2018 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Curggr - 14 February 2018 05:30 PM

It’s an interesting idea that I could see having some benefit and some potential problems too. It says the program “would represent a portion of that household’s food stamps allotment.” I wonder how much.  I’ve seen headlines about this but haven’t read much about it. Do the families get any choice in what comes in the box?

If I was a guessing person, I would guess that they would be given a checklist of items to choose from and make those selections to whatever amounts are allocated and mail it in or submit online….

It will piss off those people that are gaming the system and even this new method would create some form of under ground market where people are trading these foods in a bartering form for whatever….

It will be great for the delivery services and bad for the grocers that would be impacted rather severely…but when you create a business model based on government subsidies, they do tend to change from time to time.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H