2 of 3
Florida High Shootings
Posted: 19 February 2018 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5548
Joined  2009-09-09

A Florida Teacher, Kelly Guthrie Raley, post a Facebook post that has went viral that truly defines what it will take to reduce these acts of violence:

https://www.facebook.com/kellygraley/posts/10156224702772958

Here is the post:

Okay, I’ll be the bad guy and say what no one else is brave enough to say, but wants to say. I’ll take all the criticism and attacks from everyone because you know what? I’m a TEACHER. I live this life daily. And I wouldn’t do anything else! But I also know daily I could end up in an active shooter situation.

Until we, as a country, are willing to get serious and talk about mental health issues, lack of available care for the mental health issues, lack of discipline in the home, horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school (oh no! Not MY KID. What did YOU do to cause my kid to react that way?), lack of moral values, and yes, I’ll say it-violent video games that take away all sensitivity to ANY compassion for others’ lives, as well as reality TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves, we will have a gun problem in school. Our kids don’t understand the permanency of death anymore!!!

I grew up with guns. Everyone knows that. But you know what? My parents NEVER supported any bad behavior from me. I was terrified of doing something bad at school, as I would have not had a life until I corrected the problem and straightened my ass out. My parents invaded my life. They knew where I was ALL the time. They made me have a curfew. They made me wake them up when I got home. They made me respect their rules. They had full control of their house, and at any time could and would go through every inch of my bedroom, backpack, pockets, anything! Parents: it’s time to STEP UP! Be the parent that actually gives a crap! Be the annoying mom that pries and knows what your kid is doing. STOP being their friend. They have enough “friends” at school. Be their parent. Being the “cool mom” means not a damn thing when either your kid is dead or your kid kills other people because they were allowed to have their space and privacy in YOUR HOME. I’ll say it again. My home was filled with guns growing up. For God’s sake, my daddy was an 82nd Airborne Ranger who lost half his face serving our country. But you know what? I never dreamed of shooting anyone with his guns. I never dreamed of taking one! I was taught respect for human life, compassion, rules, common decency, and most of all, I was taught that until I moved out, my life and bedroom wasn’t mine…it was theirs. And they were going to know what was happening because they loved me and wanted the best for me.

There. Say that I’m a horrible person. I didn’t bring up gun control, and I will refuse to debate it with anyone. This post wasn’t about gun control. This was me, loving the crap out of people and wanting the best for them. This was about my school babies and knowing that God created each one for greatness, and just wanting them to reach their futures. It’s about 20 years ago this year I started my teaching career. Violence was not this bad 20 years ago. Lack of compassion wasn’t this bad 20 years ago. And God knows 20 years ago that I wasn’t afraid daily to call a parent because I KNEW that 9 out of 10 would cuss me out, tell me to go to Hell, call the news on me, call the school board on me, or post all over FaceBook about me because I called to let them know what their child chose to do at school…because they are a NORMAL kid!!!!!

Those 17 lives mattered. When are we going to take our own responsibility seriously?

You can ban any weapon you want, but if you to fix what this teacher very accurately is spelling out is the problem it won’t matter….

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 19 February 2018 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7983
Joined  2008-10-29

So they don’t have mental issues in other countries? They don’t seem to have the school shootings.

I agree with the all of the above type addressing of the issues. I do think Republicans have the lion share of the blame on this issue though. The NRA even shoots down Republican bills. They do not represent gun owners anymore, they represent gun manufacturers.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 19 February 2018 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

It’ not just gun control that is the problem and it never will be:

1.  Parents to need to raise their children properly and be involved in their lives.

2.  The Entertainment industry needs to clean their act up because people (Particularly the younger people) are influenced be the constant bombard of violence and the sensationalism of violence on TV and the movies.

3. The music industry needs to clean it’s act up…the product that is getting put out is more violent, more vulgar and is celebrated…

4.  The internet it the real monster that I am not sure can be contained.  It’s too big and too powerful to control.  The best of the best and the worst of the worst in on the internet out the young and inexperience to the weak-minded adults can spend ours looking at material that can alter their minds to carry our acts of violence.

If you want to control something….take on the internet, social media, bullying and the information overload coming from the above sources that I have mentioned…

What is being called mental health issues is directly linked to the violence people are constantly exposed to and can’t always filter….

I have started reading up on internet censorship laws around the world and what I am reading so far is that many of the countries have better laws than we do on internet censorship…

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2018 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3526
Joined  2009-01-07

There has to be a longer term effort and a shorter term effort. At it’s core, what we’re calling a gun problem is a violence and murder problem with guns being the weapon of choice. We need a longer term examination of the influences that lead to so many young people being willing to kill people. That takes a while and societal change takes a long time, but we shouldn’t ignore the big picture. We also need a shorter term look at how we stop these horrible events. Both sides of the debate have some valid points, but the political culture is so toxic that we see this as mutually exclusive ideas and no room for any discussion. Politicians drive it and the media loves it. I don’t see politicians or the media as the people with the relevant background or interests to devise a solution. Personally, I would like to see an independent team of professionals from a variety of relevant backgrounds commissioned to address it to then make recommendations to the public, and let the politicians react to what the public would then know and understand from the professionals.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 19 February 2018 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Curggr - 19 February 2018 12:40 PM

There has to be a longer term effort and a shorter term effort. At it’s core, what we’re calling a gun problem is a violence and murder problem with guns being the weapon of choice. We need a longer term examination of the influences that lead to so many young people being willing to kill people. That takes a while and societal change takes a long time, but we shouldn’t ignore the big picture. We also need a shorter term look at how we stop these horrible events. Both sides of the debate have some valid points, but the political culture is so toxic that we see this as mutually exclusive ideas and no room for any discussion. Politicians drive it and the media loves it. I don’t see politicians or the media as the people with the relevant background or interests to devise a solution. Personally, I would like to see an independent team of professionals from a variety of relevant backgrounds commissioned to address it to then make recommendations to the public, and let the politicians react to what the public would then know and understand from the professionals.

That’s going to be the problem…

Lazy and non-involved parents will not want to be compelled to be better..specifically dead beat dads..I don’t need a University Study to determine that the chances of kids growing up to be productive citizens if they come from a stable home with a mother and a father…there are perspectives on life that can only come from a man and a women.

Kids need to be involved in youth programs like the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-h, Royal Ambassadors, church youth groups, etc that gets them away from the internet….This requires parents to get off their lazy asses and be invlved.

Politicians will not want to give up their political cards for the greater good…

The News Media doesn’t give a damn about the damage the are doing to society with their sensationalism and politicization of issues

Hollywood is the biggest hypocrites of all…it is all about"Do as I say and not as I do”...They make millions of dollars off movies and TV the promote the very violence they claim they are opposed to and have no problem with armed guards protecting them…

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2018 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12409
Joined  2008-10-29

We need to start by raising the age to buy weapons and doing better, and more thorough, background checks.  As is, I don’t think another background check will do anything but I think it’s something needed to help quell the pure anger out there on both sides.  If they changed how the background checks worked, then sure.  You get into slippery slopes though when you start to do this.  You want them to be able to check social media to see someone’s mental state but then that is to much invasion of privacy, is requiring references to buy a gun to much?  Not sure, just asking to see what everyone thinks.  Ask 2-5 people around you if you are fit to own a firearm?  I think the hindrance here is ATF will get lazy and drop the ball like other government agencies because they don’t want to take the time or man power needed to carry out this plan and actually contact the references.

Raising the age is just sensible.  At least 21 for both rifles and handguns.  Maybe you have different tiers of rifles since everyone wants to attack the AR15, make it so you can buy a simple bolt action hunting rifle at 18 and an AR at 21.  Or bolt action at 21 and AR at 25.  Still won’t stop people from buying for others if you can just sell privately without an FFL.

I don’t want to totally be that guy, and I’m in no way trying to defend it as it is ALWAYS a tragedy when this happens, however, this is like a situation with lightning striking and airplanes crashing.  If you look at the total population, number of schools, etc and then look at the incidents it’s really not as widespread as it seems on the surface.  It is increasing yes, but it’s still wide enough IMO that we shouldn’t be running around like our hair is on fire and students shouldn’t feel unsafe going to school.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 19 February 2018 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07
Clemtgrs - 19 February 2018 03:47 PM

We need to start by raising the age to buy weapons and doing better, and more thorough, background checks.  As is, I don’t think another background check will do anything but I think it’s something needed to help quell the pure anger out there on both sides.  If they changed how the background checks worked, then sure.  You get into slippery slopes though when you start to do this.  You want them to be able to check social media to see someone’s mental state but then that is to much invasion of privacy, is requiring references to buy a gun to much?  Not sure, just asking to see what everyone thinks.  Ask 2-5 people around you if you are fit to own a firearm?  I think the hindrance here is ATF will get lazy and drop the ball like other government agencies because they don’t want to take the time or man power needed to carry out this plan and actually contact the references.

Raising the age is just sensible.  At least 21 for both rifles and handguns.  Maybe you have different tiers of rifles since everyone wants to attack the AR15, make it so you can buy a simple bolt action hunting rifle at 18 and an AR at 21.  Or bolt action at 21 and AR at 25.  Still won’t stop people from buying for others if you can just sell privately without an FFL.

I don’t want to totally be that guy, and I’m in no way trying to defend it as it is ALWAYS a tragedy when this happens, however, this is like a situation with lightning striking and airplanes crashing.  If you look at the total population, number of schools, etc and then look at the incidents it’s really not as widespread as it seems on the surface.  It is increasing yes, but it’s still wide enough IMO that we shouldn’t be running around like our hair is on fire and students shouldn’t feel unsafe going to school.

I don’t have a problem with raising the age to purchase guns. Given how many of these have occurred (stolen or weapons purchased by someone else and given to them), I’m not sure how effective it would be, but it’s worth considering. If nothing else, it reinforces the message to parents. There might also need to be something about having to be under parental supervision to have it in your possession up to an age - kind of like learning to drive.

I think the tiered system is interesting. I haven’t heard that idea.

I also don’t have a problem with checking social media. If you put it online, it’s public. I think there are a number of practical challenges that may make that tough, but again, it would be worth considering.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2018 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

It seems we all agree that a criminal background check isn’t enough.  I think you know how I feel about the effects of social media so I would definitely support the review on social media activity…..We need to have a series of indicators the would require further review..

I am good with raising the legal age to 21….

A tiered system is also interesting…

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2018 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

A little more information is coming out about the shooter:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5412507/Florida-school-gunman-bought-seven-rifles-including-AK-47.html

Bought 7 weapons legally and 3 illegally….That’s will always be a flaw with gun law..properly motivated people will find a way to get a gun…

Another thought is the punishment on enablers….I have no idea what the punishments are for people that sell guns illegally or probably the straw purchasers who legally buy guns for those that can’t, but it would seem that extremely severe punishments need to occur that are so harsh that they serve as a deterrent…From what I have read there is no Federal Law on the books:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/gun-trafficking-law-maloney-kenneth-thompson/

Is that correct?

It looks like some States require the owner to perform a background check on a private sell and some don’t….

This seems to be an area that can be tighten up.

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2018 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

It is now being reported that this school had an armed police officer on the scene that chose to not go inside and engage the shooter.  He is being label a coward and has resigned from the police.

This particular shooting incident isn’t the best argument for gun control because their was a failure in law enforcement dealing with this troubled kid, he shouldn’t have been able to buy a gun..but even that wouldn’t stop him because he had 3 illegal weapons including an AK-47…then you have armed guards on campus afraid to engage….

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2018 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

That guard is going to have to move to another town. A shooting like that scars the community and he’ll be known as someone that could’ve done something and didn’t.

Signature 

Posted: 26 February 2018 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3910
Joined  2008-10-29

The overall attitude here is right to guns. I think as Americans we do have a right to guns. I’ll preface the rest with saying I do not exercise my right for such. Hunting is a great hobby and way of life. So is fishing. I’ve done both, and find them a great mental and sometimes physical exercise. That said, semi automatic rifles have no use in that area of sport. We all must be ready for doomsday, I guess. Except that theory goes along with men never walked on the moon, and the Earth is flat. Yes, mental screening is the right thing to do. So is an annual compliance and registration program. bolt and lever action rifles, shotguns, handguns, etc. can be great sport.
Here in NC all the congressional members have heavy backing from the NRA. I personally do not think that is in line with the will of the people. I find myself not too far from the average citizen in my thinking. Dems, repubs, whatever. Whoever wants to continue with dead kids can do nothing.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 28 February 2018 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3910
Joined  2008-10-29

Dicks Sporting Goods made a big announcement regarding gun sales. Are there any near you? Have you noticed the gun department, or many folks there? I can only imagine this is big nation wide, though.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 28 February 2018 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
UNC 98 - 28 February 2018 01:22 PM

Dicks Sporting Goods made a big announcement regarding gun sales. Are there any near you? Have you noticed the gun department, or many folks there? I can only imagine this is big nation wide, though.

We have Dick’s here.  I think the place is overpriced and never go there.  We also have a Bass Pro where gun owners can buy whatever.  Pawn shops and private gun stores will be fine.

Dick’s move is essentially symbolic and I have no problem with it.  Are they doing it out of morality, are they being threaten to be boycotted? or are they doing this to get business because they are doing such a noble deed?  I am always a little skeptical over the motivations after a major event occurs.

Signature 

Posted: 28 February 2018 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12409
Joined  2008-10-29

No one buys from those places anyway.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

2 of 3