What Do You Think of the Tariff’s on Steel and Aluminum?
Posted: 09 March 2018 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5468
Joined  2009-09-09

This is more of an economic matter than a political matter so I feel clear from avoiding politics…I can’t help if every issue nowadays has a political twist.  Even Sports gets political..

I am interested in seeing how the Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will play out.  Is a limited trade war a good thing?

I just want a new topic other than Gun Violence issues…

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 10 March 2018 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4267
Joined  2013-01-17

Who says it would be limited? 

I’ve seen some conflicting information on how much of an impact the Chinese steel has.  I guess I need to see some good numbers.  I’m in construction and I subs are already using it as a cash grab.  It will increase the cost of construction and slow it down a little.  Those infrastructure dollars just lost some value.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 10 March 2018 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7979
Joined  2008-10-29

As someone who has seen my state’s big three collapse, two from cheaper foreign products, I get the idea behind this.

Problem is, the unintended consequences are always more painful. The loser in the end is all of us.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 10 March 2018 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
SoPinesHeel - 10 March 2018 08:47 AM

As someone who has seen my state’s big three collapse, two from cheaper foreign products, I get the idea behind this.

Problem is, the unintended consequences are always more painful. The loser in the end is all of us.

Who? 

I’ll also note that one source said most american steel jobs have been lost to technology not foreign steel.  If that’s true then tariffs are even less impactful and only stuffing the pockets of the few. 

The best talking point I saw was that we needed to keep enough mills here to be able to produce if we had a major war.  Off the cuff I HIGHLY doubt we don’t have enough production to keep up with a war.  And I think we are so well armed we wouldn’t need a lot of production for anything but WW3.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 10 March 2018 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Here is an interesting pie-chart I got from ABC News breaking down steel production around the world

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 10 March 2018 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

To be fair they have a much larger population so technically they should need more than us.  I would also assume that raw material processing isn’t healthy for the environment.  Is it really the worst thing in the world that China is willing to give us cheap material at the cost of their own health?

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 10 March 2018 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 10 March 2018 04:41 PM

To be fair they have a much larger population so technically they should need more than us.  I would also assume that raw material processing isn’t healthy for the environment.  Is it really the worst thing in the world that China is willing to give us cheap material at the cost of their own health?

Oh..Americans are complete hypocrites when it comes to morality and commerce..We protest anything that gets our panties in a wad but turn the other cheek when it benefits us in the pocket book.  We want cheap food, but don’t want the illegal migrant works to pick the food cheap…China is horrible on environmental issues and human rights but as long as we get cheap stuff to buy rather than pay more from American made sources that is fine.  When was the last time you saw a Green Peace or some other environmental activist protesting in China?

Signature 

— Mike Leach

Posted: 13 March 2018 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

When? I think it was around the last time I saw an evangelical Christian or family values Republican protest the immorality of Donald Trump.

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2018 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Always trying to be the agitator…LOL.  Not taking the bait.

Signature 

— Mike Leach

Posted: 13 March 2018 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Always trying to be the agitator…LOL.  Not taking the bait.

Signature 

— Mike Leach

Posted: 13 March 2018 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Says the guy who takes a shot first? Do you read your own posts?
You guys poison the well all time and it’s like you don’t even realize it.

Signature 

Posted: 20 March 2018 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3879
Joined  2008-10-29

I’m no economics expert, although my personal budget somehow manages a surplus (haha). It seems just with the announcement of the tariff that a few US steel companies announced expansions. The fact is China has flooded the market with steel, and sometimes of poor quality. With Europe promising a trade war I think the US in the short run will be in a better position. Even with China’s growing economy the US is the largest market in the world. If foreign goods do not sell here the companies will experience at least short term pain. I guess the long and short of it is… Who will blink first.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!