Spring Games
Posted: 14 April 2018 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4408
Joined  2013-01-17

Clemson playing almost everything live.  QB’s are touched down but we are covering punts and rotating a lot of players.  We started the day off good with a 5* WR committing and the #1 DTQB committing. 

I know it’s a spring game but with everything being live we look damn good.  All 4 QB’s look good but Lawrence looks the best IMO.  Dude has a cannon arm.  KB is a little tight today…..  Higgins dominating today. 

Biggest weaknesses still bout the same, short punting and shallow at DB. 

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 14 April 2018 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12403
Joined  2008-10-29

I need to re-watch, the little I watched I was happy with.

That’s crazy another #1 QB committing to us.  If we could bring in the Oline like UGA we’d be SCARY good.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 14 April 2018 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Pretty funny, Wilkins at DB.  Dude can play where ever he needs to, super athletic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I000TfYfzxE

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 14 April 2018 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3908
Joined  2008-10-29

UNC not having one. Scrimmage instead. I guess after last season, they are still figuring it out!

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 14 April 2018 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Watching ours now, It’s SO obvious after Spring that Lawrence and Johnson should be our 1 and 2 QBs and honestly Johnson could actually be 1, Johnson and Lawrence are pretty solid T-1 either way you slice it from what we just saw.  Painfully obvious and I fear we are heading towards another Cole Stoudt situation where Bryant will start regardless of whats behind him.  Kelly Bryant was frustrated today on the field and looking like it off because he knows the same we all do.  He’s an incredible athlete and i love the kid, I’d love to see him run the ball for us some but he’s not the best QB out there right now.  Still overthrowing wide open guys.  He’s got to step it up, Lawrence has an arm of steel.  Lawrence just looks totally comfortable.  That 6-5 frame makes it easy to see the field.  Brice didn’t look to bad either tbh, couple of bad throws for INTs but he seems to be a reliable backup, more so than we’ve had in the past.

DB play needs to be better.

Can BT Potter punt? lol.  Can’t wait for Aidan Swanson to get here next year, we need a killer punter.

You are right, Higgins is going to be a REALLY good one for us.  Monster.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 14 April 2018 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5543
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 14 April 2018 07:11 PM

Watching ours now, It’s SO obvious after Spring that Lawrence and Johnson should be our 1 and 2 QBs and honestly Johnson could actually be 1, Johnson and Lawrence are pretty solid T-1 either way you slice it from what we just saw.  Painfully obvious and I fear we are heading towards another Cole Stoudt situation where Bryant will start regardless of whats behind him.  Kelly Bryant was frustrated today on the field and looking like it off because he knows the same we all do.  He’s an incredible athlete and i love the kid, I’d love to see him run the ball for us some but he’s not the best QB out there right now.  Still overthrowing wide open guys.  He’s got to step it up, Lawrence has an arm of steel.  Lawrence just looks totally comfortable.  That 6-5 frame makes it easy to see the field.  Brice didn’t look to bad either tbh, couple of bad throws for INTs but he seems to be a reliable backup, more so than we’ve had in the past.

DB play needs to be better.

Can BT Potter punt? lol.  Can’t wait for Aidan Swanson to get here next year, we need a killer punter.

You are right, Higgins is going to be a REALLY good one for us.  Monster.

You are pretty spot on.  KB feels the heat and it is in his head.  He missed extremely easy passes to wide open receivers.  Lawrence has a cannon and Hunter is pretty close.

Now that Clemson has moved the competitive needle up a notch since the Cole Stoudt mess I think KB will have to really fight for his job and will be on a short leash going into fall camp with how loaded this team is.

None of us sees what’s happening in camp, but based solely on the Spring game I would rank the QB’s 1. Lawrence, 2. Johnson, 3. Brice 4. Bryant.  Even Chase Brice looked better.

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 15 April 2018 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  823
Joined  2009-07-04

Clem and CU are spot on.we are still average on the OL, punting is concerning, secondary is perhaps better than I expected but still thin, running game looked abysmal. Feaster needs to lose another 5-7 lbs. He does not carry the added weight well.

Need Huegel to heal up 100%.

Overall, a nice spring game that showed who some breakout candidates are but not much more. QB situation is as most have eluded to…..going to be very interesting and I can’t believe we have all that QB talent at one time. I think all four could start at most schools but I would love for KB to be our wildcat QB, special situation guy and let HJ/TL fight out the starting position.

Need a TE to produce at some point.

Posted: 15 April 2018 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  823
Joined  2009-07-04

UNC: is it typical for you guys not to have a spring game?

Posted: 19 April 2018 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2010-06-05

Great spring game. Taggart is working wonders with the fanbase, former players, and the admin. I sure hope the guy finds success on the field because he is so easy to like.

We have some depth issues ar OL, LB, and WR. I’d feel better about this season if we played a little bit of an easier schedule. I think some of the fanbase has unrealistic expectations for this year.

Can’t say I’m pleased with what I’ve heard of Clemson’s spring game. Sounds like TL is the real deal.

Signature 

Go Noles.

Posted: 22 April 2018 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7983
Joined  2008-10-29

No, we usually do but building new indoor practice facility and new soccer/lacrosse stadium means team is practicing in Kenan and Lacrosse teams playing home games there also. No room for a spring game and apparently the coaches like it better cause it is an extra practice instead.

I usually go to them but rarely get much out of it. I went to the Lacrosse games where Carolina beat ND 9-8 in the last minute, watched some of the women beat Duke 20-10 and then went over to watch the baseball team beat GT 9-8 on a sacrifice fly in bottom of the 10th. Much better than watching practice on a beautiful spring day.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 22 April 2018 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2010-06-05
SoPinesHeel - 22 April 2018 03:48 PM

No, we usually do but building new indoor practice facility and new soccer/lacrosse stadium means team is practicing in Kenan and Lacrosse teams playing home games there also. No room for a spring game and apparently the coaches like it better cause it is an extra practice instead.

I usually go to them but rarely get much out of it. I went to the Lacrosse games where Carolina beat ND 9-8 in the last minute, watched some of the women beat Duke 20-10 and then went over to watch the baseball team beat GT 9-8 on a sacrifice fly in bottom of the 10th. Much better than watching practice on a beautiful spring day.

I heard recently that more schools are moving away from spring games. It is, in many regards, a somewhat wasted practice. Especially if they mix the first and second strings. I was really pleased with FSU’s spring game, but that was mostly because I was interested in seeing Taggart on the field for the first time.

It sounds like UF’s was kind of a joke, and a bunch of my Gator buddies were less than thrilled. They had alumni wearing baseball caps run off the sideline after the snap and catch touchdown passes, which were then incorporated into the final ‘statistics’ and then apparently discussed and broken down by the coaching staff during the post game presser as if they were actually significant. Odd.

Signature 

Go Noles.

Posted: 22 April 2018 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4408
Joined  2013-01-17

I like the spring game.  It was competitive and entertaining.  When you don’t have a QB controversy it’s far less entertaining tho.

eslerman - 22 April 2018 10:42 PM

It sounds like UF’s was kind of a joke, and a bunch of my Gator buddies were less than thrilled. They had alumni wearing baseball caps run off the sideline after the snap and catch touchdown passes, which were then incorporated into the final ‘statistics’ and then apparently discussed and broken down by the coaching staff during the post game presser as if they were actually significant. Odd.

Oh wow talk about kissing that donor ass.  Gotta do what you gatta do?

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 22 April 2018 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Clemson’s spring game seems to be much different than most.  It’s not quite a glorified practice.  Live hitting, real kickoffs and punts, etc.  Just hand touch on the QBs everything else is pretty much live.  We have a draft/schoolyard pick type roster split up so our guys are pretty evenly spread.

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/ESPN-analyst-loves-two-hour-recruiting-commercial-that-was-Clemson-spring-game-16840

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS