The Mormon Church Ends Relationship With the Boy Scouts
Posted: 09 May 2018 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5281
Joined  2009-09-09

In case you didn’t know, the Boy Scouts of America not only is allowing girls to participate in the Cub Scout and Boy Scout program (In All-Girl Dens/Troop), they will be changing their name from “Boy Scouts of America” to Scouts BSA.

The Mormons announced they will be completely on December 31st 2019 to start their own program:

https://www.lds.org/youth/childrenandyouth/joint-church-bsa-statement?lang=eng

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/mormon-church-boy-scouts-cut-ties/index.html

It effects about 330,000 members.

The LDS version of the Boy Scouts is a different program than the standard program which they have always been doing their own thing.

I find it interesting that they were willing to accept the other changes pertaining to Gay and transgender kids but it appears allowing girls is the deal-breaker.  I think this is more of a reflection on the LDS Church due to the timing of this decision because it really paints them as anti-girl. Their official statement is extremely vague and leaves a lot of room for people to come to their own conclusions.

From what I am seeing , the BSA is having a good amount of girls wanting to participate in the program because it is a better program than the Girls Scouts, who have turned into a SJW organization that prostitutes their girls into cookie-selling slaves.

The BSA has made some tough choice to keeping the organization going and it will be interesting to see how this most recent event will sort out.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 09 May 2018 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3858
Joined  2008-10-29

My two girls were Daisy and Girl Scouts. I see no problem with that, and think the majority of folks would agree. Boys have BSA, and girls have GSA. I wonder if the Girl Scouts have a problem with this?

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 09 May 2018 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
UNC 98 - 09 May 2018 01:09 PM

My two girls were Daisy and Girl Scouts. I see no problem with that, and think the majority of folks would agree. Boys have BSA, and girls have GSA. I wonder if the Girl Scouts have a problem with this?

The Girl Scouts of America is pissed off big time.  As soon as the BSA announced that Girls would be allowed about 6 months ago they GSA sent out a statement expressing their dissatisfaction. They feel like the BSA is poaching their girls and to some degree the BSA is doing that…

I guess this compares to when the ACC poached the Big East…The ACC got ahead of a problem to keep the league viable during conference alignment and the come out stronger at the unfortunate expense of the Big East.

As an Assistant Scout Master, I think once the dust settles and the activist leave us alone for a while things will be fine.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 10 May 2018 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7945
Joined  2008-10-29

I think the Girl Scouts also didn’t change with the time and as a result, girls that wanted to do Boy Scout kind of things didn’t have a place to go. I have a daughter like that. She didn’t want to color and do crafts anymore. She just doesnt do scouts.

It is so easy to predict the future in these social movements, why organizations try to fight it only to lose time and time again is beyond me.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 10 May 2018 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11996
Joined  2008-10-29

Teen boys and girls camping in the woods together, what could go wrong!

But yeah, the Mormon church has a lot of things wrong with it.  That’s a whole other discussion.  I’m kind of glad they are distancing themselves to be honest.  If they can seamlessly integrate girls into this I think the Mormons leaving will be but a blip on the radar.  I believe this is how other countries do it anyway, this isn’t a new formula (girls and boys together).

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 10 May 2018 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
SoPinesHeel - 10 May 2018 11:41 AM

I think the Girl Scouts also didn’t change with the time and as a result, girls that wanted to do Boy Scout kind of things didn’t have a place to go. I have a daughter like that. She didn’t want to color and do crafts anymore. She just doesnt do scouts.

It is so easy to predict the future in these social movements, why organizations try to fight it only to lose time and time again is beyond me.

The world must be coming to an end because I agree with you 100%!!!. The next thing you know North Korea and United States will come to the bargaining tables to negotiate peace… Hahaha

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 15 May 2018 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2009-07-04

Sadly, the BSA has caved to the left and become something other than the BSA. They have lost their values and core beliefs but it is apparent in our “modern” culture that nothing is off limits to the infiltration of those who wish to destroy the fabric of our society.

Hopefully they can have a merit badge on which bathroom to use, how terrible our country is or some other extremely pertinent and critical issue of our time.

Posted: 15 May 2018 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Orange&Purple; - 15 May 2018 08:00 AM

Sadly, the BSA has caved to the left and become something other than the BSA. They have lost their values and core beliefs but it is apparent in our “modern” culture that nothing is off limits to the infiltration of those who wish to destroy the fabric of our society.

Hopefully they can have a merit badge on which bathroom to use, how terrible our country is or some other extremely pertinent and critical issue of our time.

I wished it was that simple….The BSA is run by volunteers.  We don’t get paid to be Den Leaders or Scout Masters…In fact we usually contribute money to assure our Scouts are getting the best program we are capable of.

The BSA has been under assault for decades by special interest groups with lawsuits to force “inclusion” under the umbrella of discrimination.  The Liberal Media has been stoking the flames which has hurt the program.  Even Barack Obama stuck his nose into the debate about allowing Gays into the program.

If the BSA didn’t “cave” as you and others put it, the BSA my not have been able to survive and it is a program in this day and age is still very needed with kids.

There are plenty of other scouting programs that could have satisfied this fringe elements, but instead of promoting those programs, the went after the BSA because the have the deeper pocket and the SJW’s wanted to use them as a whipping post.

The LDS can take their marbles go.  I won’t call them a “Cult”, but they definitely keep to themselves in the BSA.  I don’t think I have ever seen an LDS Troop or Pack and in of the Council gatherings and they are reputed to not being the most receiving on Non-LDS scouts into their dens or Troops.  If they want to create their own indoctrination program so be it….With them gone, that will eliminate an element that has has too much influence on the BSA program.

There has not been a spike in gay or transgender scouts joining the program and their won’t ever be.  There won’t be a lot of girls joining because you need a sponsor and female volunteers to start these all-girl Packs and Troops and neither will be readily available.

I just wished people that are not currently involved with the program would at least take a close look at what the program teaches and how these new changes are set up before passing judgement.

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 15 May 2018 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2009-07-04

CU: first and foremost, while I don’t agree with everything you noted, I appreciate the thoughtful, measured response.
So you understand my perspective, I am an Eagle Scout, received my God & Country award, was an Order of the Arrow member for many years, was a leader in the Cub and Boy Scouts in my area when my son participated in Scouting.
My point to this is the BSA ALLOWED those who want to destroy the organization to drive the agenda, criteria, direction and frankly, they have won. The BSA is more concerned, organizationally, with complying with anyone who takes issue with any position or doctrine than holding steadfast to their core beliefs. I really don’t think that is debatable. Can good still come from being involved in Scouts? Of course. But that is not my point.
Much like the “elite” universities, the BSA struggles with a moral identity even though many believe them to be more enlightened and sophisticated and “with the times”.
Biblical values were the foundation of the BSA for many, many years; however these have been replaced with lawyerfied edicts that have weakened it’s culture and rendered the time honored core foundations and traditions castrated.
If they had decided to be who they historically were instead of who many felt they should be (and note, most of the folks in that camp never grew up in scouting or cared about it until it became a cultural battle they had to win), you are right. It may have caused their demise. However, I would argue that demise would have been short-lived. But again, wisdom and strength are meaningless without courage, which has been BSA’s biggest short-coming in my view.
Good luck with your troop - hopefully you can be the great leader I am sure a lot of your scouts need.

Posted: 15 May 2018 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Congratulations on being an Eagle Scout. That is something that will be with you for the rest of your life and I cannot tell you how many people I have spoken to that left scouting early that has told me that their one big regret was not finishing their Eagle. I would be interested to hear what you did for your Eagle project.

I don’t disagree with anything that you have said. The BSA has had piss poor leadership at the national level and has certainly allowed a degree of capitulation. With that said it’s still a very worthy program and I can’t think of any program for youth that matches the lessons that scouting teaches.

The biggest problem is is we don’t have enough people like you staying with the program. And I’m not saying that you in particular you should be in that group because you’ve done your deed for king and country as a Boy Scout and you put your kids to the program. I’m more referring to the parents in the current program that has turn the Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts into a babysitting service where they drop their kids off and or not engaged in their child’s progress in the program. As a cub scout leader parents would drop the kids off sit in the corner get on their phones and not pay attention to what their child’s doing. At the Boy Scout level I’m having a real hard time with the younger Scouts not getting a lot of help from their parents and working on it advancement and as you know at the Boy Scout level it’s very different than the Cub Scouts and you definitely need parental help at times.

I’ve invested too much time with my son to simply walk away because I don’t like some of the changes going on. As long as the charter sponsor still have final say so over the structure of their packs and troops then the program can still run the way it always has been as is the case with our Troop.

I don’t know if these new changes will be for the good or for the worse. But I am pretty certain that the BSA is doing what they think they have to do to survive. I’m not afraid of if my son having to interact with girls God forbid. I can think of worse things than my son bring you home a girl who happens to be a scout that has learned what seems to be abstract Concepts as duty to Country, duty to God, citizenship, environmental stewardship, respect for nation, respect for adults, self sufficiency,. We definitely don’t want our kids bringing those kind of people home!!!

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H