The New Red Shirt Rule Discussion
Posted: 16 June 2018 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5479
Joined  2009-09-09

The short answer is players can now participate in up to four games in a season and still retain that year of eligibility…

Coaches will love that one. It allows an impatient kid to see action in his first year to keep him dialed into the program…It could also be really useful at the end of the year to have fresh legs and a kid who by the end of the year to have matured in the program to be able to make an impact.

My only take is just give kids 5 years of eligibility and be done with it….Not everyone is NFL material and many just want to trade football for an education. 

It’s a good rule overall.

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 16 June 2018 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4294
Joined  2013-01-17

I love it too.  It’s good for everyone.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 25 June 2018 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2009-07-04

Four games seems too high but I would rather it be based off number of plays than games. Or a mixture of both.

How does this impact other sports?

Posted: 25 June 2018 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2011-04-22
Orange&Purple; - 25 June 2018 07:49 AM

Four games seems too high but I would rather it be based off number of plays than games. Or a mixture of both.

How does this impact other sports?

No impact on other sports.

Way too complicated (and susceptible to fraud) if you use number of plays.

Great rule. No losers. May lead to more kids being able to do grad transfers, but that’s not a bad thing.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB