Justice Anthony Kennedy Retiring From SCOTUS
Posted: 27 June 2018 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5277
Joined  2009-09-09

Effective July 31st.

This will most likely take children on the borders right of the table as the Democrats will be kicking and screaming as Trump puts a Conservative in as a solid 5-4…

The Democrats will invoke that the GOP held up Obama’s pick Merrick Garland because it is an Election year, but the biggest difference is that the person that gets to make the selection is not running for president this year…

This will be a cantankerous next several months….

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 27 June 2018 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3490
Joined  2009-01-07

Indeed. This is going to be a bumpy ride. It’s also interesting to consider how long Ginsburg will remain on the court. I’m sure she’ll want to stay until the end of Trump’s term, but it he were to win a second term, that would possibly allow him to have a yuge impact on the court.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 27 June 2018 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4045
Joined  2013-01-17

I hope they drag it out for 3 years and the GOP enjoys the constant flow of bullshit they shoved in the Democrats faces. 

Election year doesn’t matter. It was Obama’s right to make the selection.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 27 June 2018 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 27 June 2018 07:24 PM

I hope they drag it out for 3 years and the GOP enjoys the constant flow of bullshit they shoved in the Democrats faces. 

You are correct and Obama made his selection….The Senate happens to be in control of the GOP and Obama put that selection up knowing it wouldn’t fly…I still remember Robert Bork’a treatment…The party in power calls the shots…Both sides had been on the business end of these issues….

If Ruth Bader Ginsberg retires then Trump can make SCOUTUS a 6-3 court locking liberal activism in the courts down and that is exactly why I voted for Trump…Presidents and congresspeople come and go..SCOTUS us lifetime.

What I find comical is how the liberal media has dropped the issue of those poor kids at the boarder like a bad had and have immediately jumped on the SCOTUS Matter

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 28 June 2018 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3490
Joined  2009-01-07

I don’t disagree with you on the Obama nomination. As CU_Tigers4life pointed out, there have been examples on both sides of political games with court nominees. It is somewhat ironic that the Republicans were able to site Biden in their argument. That said, I agree that it shouldn’t be handled that way, and I agree that there are games and garbage on both sides. It’s another example of partisan shenanigans in our government.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 28 June 2018 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
CU_Tigers4life - 27 June 2018 10:07 PM

What I find comical is how the liberal media has dropped the issue of those poor kids at the boarder like a bad had and have immediately jumped on the SCOTUS Matter

Just bought a house so not keeping up but isn’t that because Trump stopped the whole “stop the kids at the border thing”

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 28 June 2018 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
Curggr - 28 June 2018 12:49 PM

I don’t disagree with you on the Obama nomination. As CU_Tigers4life pointed out, there have been examples on both sides of political games with court nominees. It is somewhat ironic that the Republicans were able to site Biden in their argument. That said, I agree that it shouldn’t be handled that way, and I agree that there are games and garbage on both sides. It’s another example of partisan shenanigans in our government.

Yes both sides play games but has anything happened like what happened to Obama.  I’m fairly positive the answer is no.  Scalia died like 9 months before the election…. It’s a terrible precedent to set and the GOP very proudly set it in a childish fashion….of the foreshadowing.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 28 June 2018 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Yes both sides play games but has anything happened like what happened to Obama.  I’m fairly positive the answer is no.  Scalia died like 9 months before the election…. It’s a terrible precedent to set and the GOP very proudly set it in a childish fashion….of the foreshadowing.

Well, when Harry Reid lowered the Senate rule to a simple majority for Federal Judges, Mitch McConnell told him on the flow that there would be repercussions..It was a payback to Harry Reid..

Also, Senator Joe Biden was the originator of the concept of not selecting Supreme Court Justices during a Presidential year….so this is all a game of gotcha…I do think what happen to Robert Bork was a helluva lot worse that Garland….Ted Kennedy did his darnedest to destroy the man…

When the roles get reversed the Dems will perform a “Screw-You” to the Republicans and the cycle will continue.

Personally, I want the cloture rule abolished completely so the Senators have to go on record with an up or down vote so their constituents can hold them accountable. 

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H