Fedora’s attitude toward concussions and CTE
Posted: 22 July 2018 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11852
Joined  2008-10-29

How do UNC fans, specifically, feel about Larry Fedora’s comments on concussions/CTE at ACC media day?  Seemed to be a huge talking point.  I’m about to go back and watch the full thing but from what I’ve heard and little i’ve seen, his comments are just plain stupid and if I were a parent I would not allow my kid to play for him.  Beyond those comments it seemed like he was a rambling mess.  This is your coach UNC?

So having heard his feelings on injuries like concussions, it’s scary to think how many kids he’s put in danger not believing the science.  Last year y’all had a bunch of injuries right?  Makes you wonder what else he doesn’t believe is true and just people being sissy.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 22 July 2018 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3842
Joined  2008-10-29

Actually, leading researchers supported his stance. The automatic responses have been a little off. I am no big fan of Fedora, but calls of stupidity and needing to be fired solely based on his remarks are misplaced.  I admit the timing of his remarks was not appropriate. I agree that what is clinically known regarding repeated hits as required in football does not support football being the sole cause in a person’s life who contracts CTE. UNC is one of the leading medical institutions studying concussions and overall athlete health in football. Do just a little research and you will certainly see that is true. The leading researcher at UNC regarding this research even went so far as to be interviewed by the local UNC hating paper to support what Fedora said. Another doctor at a leading research facility up north did the same. Fast reactions from ignorant mouse clich chasing sports writers have sullied the facts.

I’ll add if I was going to allow my child to play college football I would feel more comfortable with him being at a school on the very cutting edge of brain injury research. Not every college can claim that.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 23 July 2018 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5217
Joined  2009-09-09

Why any coach to stick his neck out on a comment about CTE as Fedora did was foolish.  In a time where this is a sensitive topic and a lot of science is really being dedicated to the matter coaches need to just sit back and allow the situation run it’s course.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 23 July 2018 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3976
Joined  2013-01-17
CU_Tigers4life - 23 July 2018 12:50 PM

Why any coach to stick his neck out on a comment about CTE as Fedora did was foolish.  In a time where this is a sensitive topic and a lot of science is really being dedicated to the matter coaches need to just sit back and allow the situation run it’s course.

I haven’t even heard the comments but it sounds like he put his foot in his mouth for no reason.  Kinda like Dabo did on paying players.  Sometimes coaches need to know what topics to avoid.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 24 July 2018 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2009-07-04

I’m with UNC on this as I think Fedora was spot on. I was frankly stunned that HE said this given most of the people who believe football is bad are lefties, which are predominately the students, staff and alum at UNC.

Took some balls to say what he did but it will likely cost him his job unless they win 9 this year.

Posted: 24 July 2018 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5217
Joined  2009-09-09
Orange&Purple; - 24 July 2018 06:58 AM

I’m with UNC on this as I think Fedora was spot on. I was frankly stunned that HE said this given most of the people who believe football is bad are lefties, which are predominately the students, staff and alum at UNC.

Took some balls to say what he did but it will likely cost him his job unless they win 9 this year.

That may be true, but when his program is not looking good, he is coming across as making excuses for not winning.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 27 July 2018 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3842
Joined  2008-10-29

UNC has lost out on many recruits this year. UNC has put some guys in the NFL. It does not seem to make sense. As for how this looks… I assert that folks who actually know the science are simply not put off. Of course, those people are not plentiful in the college football sports writers and fans. I’m no real scientist, but I do know anatomy, biochemistry, etc… Optics are in the eye of the beholder.. that much is true.
It matters not any if Fedora continues to struggle on the field. Injuries are not, getting beat on the field and in recruiting by NCSU, VT, etc just is a symptom of something else, I think.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 12 August 2018 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7934
Joined  2008-10-29
Orange&Purple; - 24 July 2018 06:58 AM

There are parts of this statement I agree with and parts of it that are so dumb it makes my head spin…weird how our regressive legislature led by Carolina grads isn’t known for being “lefties”.

Ill just say, when your school is a leader in CTE research, it is idiotic to say that there is no correlation. It is even dumber to say that the military and our country are great because of a game essentially popularized about a century ago.

When you are 3-9 you don’t get to say whatever comes to mind and keep your job. I hope he does keep his job after this season or next cause that will mean wins and success but I also think he needs to think a little harder with some perspective when you are the head coach of Carolina. You arent the biggest man on campus and never will be. Auburn or Alabama or some school where the football coach runs things? Feel free to run your mouth.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)