Southern Pigskin Article on QB1 Picks:  Clemson QB’s
Posted: 01 August 2018 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5217
Joined  2009-09-09

Enjoyed the read on SPS’s QB battle article:

http://www.southernpigskin.com/sec/qb1-picks/

I want to talk about your conclusions about Kelly Bryant and Trevor Lawrence.  You did what a lot of reporters do which is to take a bunch of generic overall stats and form a conclusion.  Well here is a stat that I consider the most critical to why Trevor Lawrence should start if the battle is a tie after fall camp:

The great majority of KB’s completions are under 10 yards.  That is an easy way to make the stats look good for any QB,

Kelly Bryant’s passing numbers over 20 yards are horrible and great defensive teams like Alabama figured that out, stacked the box and dared him to throw deep…which the “stats” clear show is not his strength..

Reporters won’t watch every single snap a specific player makes like a dedicated fan base and won’t see the little things that makes a difference…For example, in the Spring Game, both Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence looked much better than Kelly Bryant and KB had an extremely frustrated look on the way he was carrying himself and his facial expressions.  This year he has a real competition for the job unlike last year.

Clemson needs a QB, with the WR talent we have, that can create plays on the move and KB will tuck the ball and run first if he can’t find a WR very wide open.

Trevor Lawrence is Clemson’s future and with this being another Nation Championship level team, we need the QB battle decided going into the Furman Game to give our number 1 guy as many reps as needed so when we going to Texas A@M we will be ready.

To be blunt, the ACC is down right now and this year and last year wasn’t much better.  We should be able to win 10 games this year if a worse case scenario occurred and had to start a walk on QB with our talent. 

Sorry…Earning the right to be the man sounds nice, but this isn’t the Tommy Bowden era or is it Dabo’s first 5 years when winning 10 games, maybe the ACC, a win of FSU and South Carolina was considered a great season.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 02 August 2018 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2009-07-04

Agreed. Frankly lazy reporting by SP but as you say, it is the nature of covering so many schools.
There is absolutely NO question that TL’s ceiling is tenfold KB’s. My argument is why not take advantage of our defense that can overcome a few freshmen mistakes. It’s not like KB doesn’t make mistakes either, he just plays Uber safe.
Look what Fromm did for UGA last year! TL is a notch or two above Fromm with a legit WR corps that UGA would die for.
Start Trevor early, bring Bryant in for short yardage and red zone, win a NCC!

Posted: 02 August 2018 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

My argument is why not take advantage of our defense that can overcome a few freshmen mistakes.

Agree 100%.  All teams are going to be a little rusty for the 1st 2-3 games.  If Trevor Lawrence can go 3-0 in the first 3 games, the speed of the college game should have have settled in and will be ready for the ACC schedule.

Signature 

“I’ve trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod.”

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 14 August 2018 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Just read an article in T-Net about the QB competition:

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-says-QB-separation-will-probably-take-place-in-the-games-17120

It sounds like this has the making of Cole Stoudt/DW4 all over again.  The fact that a 5th year Senior is essentially “tied” with a true Freshman tells me a lot.

I would like to think Dabo is playing cat and mouse with Jimbo Fisher to keep him guessing

Signature 

—Col. Flagg From M*A*S*H

Posted: 14 August 2018 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11852
Joined  2008-10-29
CU_Tigers4life - 14 August 2018 09:24 AM

It sounds like this has the making of Cole Stoudt/DW4 all over again.  The fact that a 5th year Senior is essentially “tied” with a true Freshman tells me a lot.

Exactly right.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.