Urban Meyer Placed on Adminsitrative Leave
Posted: 01 August 2018 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4408
Joined  2013-01-17

I haven’t read into it a lot but what I’ve gathered is that his WR coach abused his wife and many knew about it and didn’t do anything.  Apparently he originally said he knew nothing of it and then all of a sudden may have known a little bit…  Supposedly all the coaches wives knew so probably all the coaches knew. 

Some saying he might get fired. 

I guess I have two questions here. 

Assuming innocent until proven guilty. 
1. How is this the HC’s fault exactly?  I’m not saying he’s squeaky clean but he’s not really responsible for controlling a relationship between husband and wife. 

Assuming he knew about it and helped hide it. 
2.  WTF Urban, WHY?  Risk a career for a single position coach that is being a POS?  Just get rid of him, help the woman, and deal with the public as they come.  If you act quickly on this the backlash would be almost nothing and you would have a clean conscience.  Instead you make tOSU look like shit for one of the most replaceable members of the staff.  CoverupU?  The BIG really likes these shady coaches.  tOSU will basically be forced to fire him if this is true. 

ESPN did mention that this could have Title 9 implications but didn’t explain why exactly.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 02 August 2018 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5543
Joined  2009-09-09

First, the culture of domestic abuse is a red hot issue in all sports.  Secondly, this is Urban Myer.  He has a rather large history of looking the other way at serious matters he knew about in order to win.  ESPN actually has a decent article on this:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24259780/urban-meyer-ohio-state-buckeyes-coaching-scandal

As I said, Urban Myer’s history of discipline to players and staff will be his downfall.  10-15 years ago and this would have been a issue that would have went away quickly.

Brett McMurphy is the reporter who broke this and he must have an ax to grind with Myer because this story is a career killer….

I don’t think Myer will survive this scandal based upon the times we live in.

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 02 August 2018 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4161
Joined  2011-02-04

Next stop, South Carolina?

Posted: 02 August 2018 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12403
Joined  2008-10-29

Dang, got him before heart problems could.

31-0 hio

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 02 August 2018 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  482
Joined  2012-01-24

He will have heart and health issues causing him to retire until the 2020 season where he will be the next HC of North Carolina.

Posted: 02 August 2018 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
Garrett_TD23 - 02 August 2018 09:22 AM

Next stop, South Carolina?

He’s about the right age and that is the coaching graveyard.  Maybe a stop at Louisville first?  Or Auburn at if they flop this year?

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 09 August 2018 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

I don’t know why it took so long for this to come out but apparently Ms. Smith told her mom and Zach’s mom she was going to plot something against him.  A lot of false reports in the past. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mother-zach-courtney-smith-claim-ex-ohio-state-assistant-victim-retaliatory-plot-ex-wife-223132593.html

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 11 August 2018 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/tom-herman-reportedly-tipped-off-brett-mcmurphy-about-zach-smith-after-he-lost-out-on-5-star-recruit-to-osu

Everything lately saying Herman tipped the press off on the Ohio St situation.  This is gonna get juicy.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 12 August 2018 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7983
Joined  2008-10-29
Dawgsfan - 02 August 2018 01:54 PM

He will have heart and health issues causing him to retire until the 2020 season where he will be the next HC of North Carolina.

Why would he be the next head coach of North Carolina?

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 23 August 2018 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Suspended for 3 games….

I have real mixed feelings on this one.  I am not a fan of Urban Myer and when it comes to looking the other way with edgy players there is plenty of fodder there.

He’s not the first coach to lie to the press.  It happens all of the time.

This coach that he is in trouble with had other issues not related to the domestic abuse that brought discredit to OSU such as taking lewd pictures in the White House and going to a strip club with a coach…

Domestic violence issues are messy.  If any of you knows people are perhaps have been around volatile couples knows it is a real difficult issue. Sometimes you have two couples that just want to fight each other, sometimes you have a husband that is a bad dude that gets off on hitting women and then you do have that element of women that instigate fight and will put the husband in a defensive position to do something that escalates in to people getting hurt…..From everything I am reading, these two just wanted to fight each other. 

At what point is it Urban Myers responsibility to intervene? Then you have the added layer of his relationship with this family going back to Earl Bruce.  To my knowledge there was no arrest which would be the big trigger to step in.

I guess where I land on this is if the police ever got involved and the domestic issues affect his ability to do his job is where coach should have stepped in.

I would like to think if Urban Myer was tight with this family that he was trying in his own way to save a marriage by giving cover because firing the guy removes his ability to earn income for his family….I would hope Myer tried to get them to seek marriage counselling.

Bottom line is Myer is paid to field a football team, win games and keep his players in compliance.

I am landing in the area that this 3 game suspension will be enough and this will go away, but negative recruiting will stay with him for the rest of his career over this issue as he will be labeled as a guy that “hates women” and won’t do anything against domestic violence…

Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2018 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  482
Joined  2012-01-24

His lying to the press is just the icing on the cake. He covered up spousal abuse, looked the other way when Smith was doing illegal things according to OSU policy. Which seems to be only guidelines instead of laws. He deleted text off his phone to cover up his awareness. What happened tells me that covering up abuse and violations is secondary to football wins.

Posted: 23 August 2018 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Agreed with Dawgsfan.  Anything to win.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 23 August 2018 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Dawgsfan - 23 August 2018 01:41 PM

His lying to the press is just the icing on the cake. He covered up spousal abuse, looked the other way when Smith was doing illegal things according to OSU policy. Which seems to be only guidelines instead of laws. He deleted text off his phone to cover up his awareness. What happened tells me that covering up abuse and violations is secondary to football wins.

As I said, a coach lying to the press is no big deal…They all do and if lying to the press is an offense worthy of terminating a person then a lot of coaches should be out of a job.

It seems that everyone wants to offer only 2 options which is let a person of free or go to the other extreme and fire the person…I guess form of discipline other than these 2 extremes are just no an option?

Signature