UNC players to miss games for selling shoes
Posted: 06 August 2018 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12109
Joined  2008-10-29

Saw this on TNet.  UNC players missing games in 2018 season for selling shoes.  If its not injuries its another thing.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1026536720777531394

Here are names
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1026537323763326977

https://twitter.com/BrantGNR/status/1026536994527227904

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 07 August 2018 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2012-01-24

Yep, saw that.
Amazing that UGA had no mischief makers over the summer.

Posted: 07 August 2018 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5364
Joined  2009-09-09

I thought FSU was Free Shoes U

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 07 August 2018 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4167
Joined  2013-01-17
Dawgsfan - 07 August 2018 11:27 AM

Yep, saw that.
Amazing that UGA had no mischief makers over the summer.

yea Amazing wink  wink

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 08 August 2018 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3869
Joined  2008-10-29

Poor decision, I guess. My thinking is NCAA does not allow players to make money at jobs, can’t sell their stuff.  I guess they just want all the players poor while they are in school. That keeps the millions made on the players’ blood and sweat honest. Except the players see none of this. I am kind of surprised UNC didn’t tell NCAA to go screw itself.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 08 August 2018 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4167
Joined  2013-01-17

Players get a decent stipend and full scholarship.  IMO that’s more than fair.  They live like kings compared to the other kids on campus.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 08 August 2018 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

It goes beyond football. btw… one UNC player bought several other players’ shoes for over $5000, and paid it in full at the time of exchange. Some kids have money, and some do not. To me, it’s not about the stipend, or the scholarship, or meals, etc. Schools make tons of money from the games. Players get to play in front of screaming fans who each paid probably $50 to $100 or more to see them play. Players get shirts, shorts, shoes, and $25 for meals. They get to go to school free, but end up taking disjointed classes because they can not take a full load during the season, and must make it up in summer school. The NCAA says they can not make more than a certain amount in any part time job. If the NCAA likes to pretend it is looking out for players’ welfare this is a very bad way to show it. Players can get insurance against injury, but little else. Why not take a percentage of a schools athletic income and split it up based on economic need of the players. Take the stipend you spoke of and split it up based on economic need. I know one of Clemson’s FB players. D Lawrence grew up the town where I have lived for 16 years here in NC. I’m happy for him making it big, and hope he does well. I know he came from a very not middle class family. I know he misses is family, and I know if he could he’d visit them more. I think he should be able to.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 09 August 2018 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4048
Joined  2011-02-04

You won’t see me casting stones. Larry Fedora has to be face palming.

Posted: 10 August 2018 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2009-07-04

UNC: the reason the NCAA limits the dollars a player can make is that very, very often boosters hire these players. You can’t give them a vessel to funnel unlimited funds to players. Ive seen this in action when I worked in Raleigh and it can be abused easily.
Then you have to set up standards for “need”, which is very subjective and difficult to manage.
These kids are treated like royalty by the school and students, they seldom have to pay for anything so let’s not go all whoa on me for them.
The NCAA has at least recognized the need for these athletes to have some spending money and no one is hurting for much.

Posted: 10 August 2018 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Boosters gonna boost. That’s life. Go ahead and the let the schools take care of the players. That will minimize booster stuff. The fact is the NCAA, and schools are the members, take everything the player can give. Make commercials, and tons on tons of money. That’s a lot of taking. What are they giving? How many players at all kinds of schools graduate poorly prepared for life? The NFL, MLB, and NBA aren’t in every college athlete’s future. How many times do we have to see how these kids, and that’ what they are when they’re 18, get sucked up into all the school offers then end up driving trucks, digging ditches, whatever? Those are great jobs, but do not require a college degree. I remember lots of joking on how a particular former NCSU running back ended up working a drive through. He graduated. If schools do not want to pay players… at least they could take some of that eagerness to go to college and work it towards useful degrees. To often it’s about maintaining eligibility. There are a lot of issues and pitfalls to working out a reasonable way to pay players, but that does not mean it shouldn’t happen.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2018 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2009-07-04

Not really sure we are on the same page….boosters gonna boost??

I would like to know what these players need or want that they don’t get?  It’s OK for life to be less than perfect and difficult at times.

This is supposed to be a university at some point, not a spa or a gaurantee of lollipops and rainbows.

Just gonna disagree on this subject.

Posted: 12 August 2018 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7948
Joined  2008-10-29

The players got the appropriate punishment and it was the school that self reported. Having the Jordan brand means that UNC players get gear that is more valuable than other schools. It was dumb of them to think they were gonna get away with it when it was an alum that saw it and busted them.

I actually don’t think it will make much of a difference on the record this year. This is a 6 win type team I expect although might have a little higher ceiling without all this. Another 3 win season though and next year Fedora will be on the hot seat…rightfully so. The 2015 season was great but the 2016 one was a major disappointment with everything they had coming back. NCSU is killing Carolina recruiting right now and that isn’t sustainable.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)