Sadly I’m not surprised.  (Maryland)
Posted: 11 August 2018 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12403
Joined  2008-10-29

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24342005/maryland-terrapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin

What does everyone think?  How far is to far?  I’m a bit torn, obviously I think to far is actions causing death.  I don’t think starving players of food or water because they are soft is right.  And I don’t think the forced eating is right.  But at the same time you have to push these guys so I’m on the fence with the verbal stuff.  I went to Parris Island, a lot of the stuff listed as bullet points in the article make me kind of smirk and go what?  Seriously?  I mean I’ve personally seen a drill instructor hurl a 10lb dumbbell at a recruit.  Right?  No.  But the kid didn’t take it personally and corrected himself and Dumbbells were never thrown again.  Seems like it happened more than once at Maryland though.  And we were yelled at all day every day until we performed.  Problem is we don’t have context for some of this.  We don’t know what the player did or said if anything at all to have food slapped out of his hands.  Some of the other things like forcing food or meals is way to far.  How excessive is verbal abuse?  Physical abuse should never take place, but how much verbal abuse should be used?  How much yelling and shouting?

Having said that, college sports is not the Marines so I can see it being excessive.  Coaches at this level are supposed to be mentors not drill instructors.  I expect a coach to be tough, but a coach should be able to figure out how to coach each player.  Some people want that excessive profanity laced tirade, others won’t respond in the slightest to it.  It seems like Maryland has gone for the shotgun approach to it.

Like I said, I’m a bit torn.  This was just another day in the Marines for me, as right or wrong it may have been, it seems a bit normal.  I never felt as an outsider though after certain events took place, it always got patched up.  Maybe that is a difference of the Maryland situation.  I’d like to know more.  When they got in a situation like this did the coach come over after, put his arm around the kid and tell him he loved him or he was part of the family, and maybe explain the situation more, you know patch things up or did it end with the tirades?  One thing I like about Dabo, you’ll see him chew someone out on the sideline and by the next series he’s got his arm around the kid coaching him the right way.

What’s everyone’s take on it?

Side note, when Maryland left the ACC it was one of the best things that could of happened for the conference.  Never wanted to go to a game there.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 12 August 2018 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5543
Joined  2009-09-09

I did not shed a tear when Maryland left the ACC.  They jumped ship at a time when the ACC was not as strong financially as it is now and jumped to the Big 10 for one reason…money.  Their athletic department I believe had to drop several sports because the couldn’t afford it. So they left a league that they were a founding member of to be a well paid doormat of another league.

Randy Edsel was a military-style hard ass that got fired and it is obvious they haven’t learned their lesson with this new regime.  If the stories that are being reported are accurate then this place is messed up.

They need to gut this place out and bring a guy in their that can take damaged programs and turn them around.  IMO, there is only one man that could possibly turn that program around and that is Mike Leach.  He did it at Texas Tech and he did it at Washington State.  He is also flamboyant enough to draw the right type of attention to the school for recruits.  His offense will get some QB’s and WR’s as it is a pass-heavy style.

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 12 August 2018 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7983
Joined  2008-10-29

Ironically,Leach was in contention for this job when Edsall got it if you remember. I thought he would have been a great fit.

I thought they had a badass staff when they put it together. Bunch of former head coaches to include Pete Lembo and Mike London and Durkin seemed like hot young up and comer.

Not sure what this means long term…maybe nothing. Interesting to think that Frau Yow had James Franklin as the coach in waiting way back when. They got into trouble financially not because of the ACC, but because they leveraged hard on football stadium upgrades and it didn’t pay off.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)