1 of 2
FSU vs Syracuse
Posted: 13 September 2018 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5468
Joined  2009-09-09

I am oddly fascinated at what is happening with Florida State.  It truly amazes me with how such a powerful program went from being a mediocre team near the end of Bobby Bowden’s tenure then climbing back to the very top of the college football mountain where they once resided for decades only to be knock off to the bottom again in a very short period of time.

It must be incredibly frustrating being a FSU fan….

Here we are with FSU’s third game against Syracuse.  This is a game that should have had the Noles as a huge favorite but Las Vegas has the Orange Men as a 3 point favorite.

I think this game is going to be a huge indicator of how the rest of FSU’s season will play out.  If they can’t take care of a mid-level to lower level ACC team then I don’t see how FSU can win 6 games and make it to a bowl.

The closest program I can compare FSU’s dilemma is Texas..both have everything they need to be successful but can’t put it together right now. Both have no problem getting talented players…..

As a Clemson fan, I enjoy looking at the top of the ACC hill from the same vantage point that FSU have for so many years, but it is not good for the health of the league for FSU to stay down too long.

This Willie Taggart experiment needs a short shelf life or they will start losing top recruits.

I still think there is one hell of a great coach in Tampa that would jump all over this job and do an amazing job in Charlie Strong.  I just hope FSU doesn’t wait too long on this one.

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 13 September 2018 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4267
Joined  2013-01-17

Strong is a risky hire due to his lack of success at Texas but I don’t disagree with your assessment. 

The only thing I like about it is that UF is a disaster too.  If Miami had beat LSU they would be RAKING IN all the elite talent in Florida but they didn’t so there is more opportunity than usual for Clemson to raid the state.  FSU and UF both have terrible performance so far and Miami lost its hype to LSU. 

If Smart had an 8-4 season at UGA last year we Clemson would be recruiting close to how Bama does right now.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 13 September 2018 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Strong is a risky hire due to his lack of success at Texas but I don’t disagree with your assessment.

Strong was a bad hire for Texas..He had nothing in common with those Texas kids that probably have not had to deal with the life’s adversities he was used to recruiting out of Florida, where is a recruiting stallion, nor was he prepared for how Texas money and politics get in the way of college football. He also did not fit the culture surrounding UT

Chalrie Strong would be a home run hire for FSU.  He fits the culture and knows the Florida recruiting trails as good as anyone and can relate with those kids that are in tough environments that are using football to stay out of trouble and hopefully escape the bad situations many of them live in.

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 13 September 2018 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4097
Joined  2011-02-04

Rather take a chance on Taggart than on Strong. He needs to work his way back up the ladder after the flop at Texas. His offenses are designed to run slow to give his defense time to rest. Not saying he would not do well at FSU, but I’d prefer FSU enterered the modern age on offense.

FSU is a bigger rebuild job than previously thought. Our starting QB missed reps in practice all of spring recovering from the leg injury and it has stunt his development some. He is making the wrong decisions and still seems afraid to run. His decision making should improve as the season goes on with live game reps.

The o-line is a product of coaching neglect. Ever since 2014 a loud contingent was screaming for coaching changes, it turns out they were correct after all. 2 different independent sources that I know of commented on FSU’s poor blocking technique; one recently a former Auburn G.A. and a couple years back a Brown’s coach directed it toward Cam Erving. FSU right now is thin and already banged up. I cannot emphasize this point enough.

It’s likely going to take until year 3 for CWT to put out a ACC contender, but should be improved next season with the defense shaping up and the QBs and young WRs developing.

Posted: 13 September 2018 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I sure hope the rest of the FSU fan base is as understanding and patient as you…

While I understand your support for Boxcar Wille (I just heard that today), I do disagree on your assessment of Charlie Strong.  He did a great job at Louisville before taking the Texas job and is doing well at USF.  I suspect he will be getting offers somewhere soon. I do expect FSU to give CWT 3 years if not for any other reason than not looking like fools for making a bad hire…Strong will be coaching at another P5 program before then…Maybe GT or UNC when they fire their coaches…

Signature 

— Mike Leach

Posted: 14 September 2018 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4267
Joined  2013-01-17

Maybe South Carolina

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 14 September 2018 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4097
Joined  2011-02-04

Just an FYI on the depth chart movement. Senior WR Nyquan Murray was demoted to second team in favor of sophomore DJ Matthews. It has been noticed many times that he does not like to block on running plays and it has been said that he is a bit of a selfish player demanding the ball which has caused some throws to be forced.

There is a bit of a youth movement happening in the 2 deep, I cannot recall another time when so many freshmen were asked to play so much.

Posted: 15 September 2018 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12267
Joined  2008-10-29

Syracuse playing gritty early.  They could easily win this game, it would not surprise me in the slightest.  That can be FSU’s dome of horrors this year, fine by me.

Syracuse up 3-0

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 15 September 2018 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Right now Syracuse is flat out beating them on both sides of the ball.

Signature 

— Mike Leach

Posted: 15 September 2018 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Watching this game on my 2nd monitor, It’s hard to believe Syracuse is only up 3-0.  FSU not looking good.  Seem to get a few big sacks or plays here and there but everytime I glance over Syracuse is just gashing them in some way.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 15 September 2018 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

6-0 Syracuse right now.

I think we all feel what Tajh said
https://twitter.com/TajhB10/status/1041021740309196801

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 15 September 2018 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

13-0 Syracuse

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 15 September 2018 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Welp, 20-0 Syracuse.  Pack it in FSU, you’re in for a long year.  Was he really the right coach for the job??  This is crazy.  And not that Syracuse is winning, but that FSU is just so bad this year….it’s almost unthinkable.  How did they sink so low?

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 15 September 2018 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

FSU punting it back to Syracuse.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 15 September 2018 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

This is unacceptable for FSU..They should be able to “out-Athlete” Syracuse enough to put up a better game.

The players look lazy and not dialed in…zero motivation to compete.  FSU could end of a 2-3 win team this year from what I am seeing

Signature 

— Mike Leach

Posted: 15 September 2018 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Agreed, you can tell by the body language these players aren’t in it.  They looked the same in their other games, they haven’t or won’t buy in.  Not good for FSU.

23-0 Syracuse.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

1 of 2