Mack Brown has hit the ground running at UNC
Posted: 30 November 2018 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3908
Joined  2008-10-29

He’s hired 4 guys for his staff as of 11/30, and is working on an OC. He has gone out to visit some players, and is calling on some in NC that have verbally committed elsewhere. UNC’s class will likely be small, but he may get 1 or 2 to turn by early signing day. The only group that UNC really needs a guy or two is on DL. Maybe they will go JuCo for a guy. Those guys can matriculate at any time, I think. I like how he’s got some guys that played for him on his staff now. I also like how he is trying to get a guy that that knew all the HS coaches in NC, but is now retired. He would just be a special assistant with no actual player responsibility. The guys rumored to be up for OC are interesting. Will be fun to watch staff fill out.

Some think Brown was a bad choice. I do not think so. He is going about this as CEO and front man. The coaches will coach and call the games. To me UNC is the best open job this year, and Brown is the right guy at the right time.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 30 November 2018 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4408
Joined  2013-01-17

Do you have names and title for his current hires? 

I think it was a very interesting hire by UNC.  Lots of upside and a relatively low floor (~5 wins).  I haven’t seen the terms of the deal but I would hope they got a discount since he wanted to coach again pretty badly I believe. 

If he gets good coordinators he will kill it.  He’s in a division where good coaching and a few players will get him instant success.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 01 December 2018 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Tim Brewster from aTm TE’s, ass. HC
Dre Bly CB’s
Tommy Thigpen CoDC
Tim Cross DL

Poss:
Ken Browing: former UNC assis and legendary NC HS coach: Recruiting/Administration
Larry Porter: Offensive assis.  now at Auburn
Darrell Moody: recruiting/Admnistration now works for SF 49ers
Mike Sanford OC, former WKU HC
David Yost OC now at Utah St
Kliff Kingsbury OC…likely he’s going to USC in LA
Sean Snyder: Spec Teams. now at Ks. St
Jay Bateman DC now at Army
Bob Shoop DC now DC at Miss St.
Patrick Suddes: Dir of player personnel now AD for football at Auburn
Gene Chizik DC probably not, he likes his job for ESPN
May retain Robert Gillespie and Chad Scott as offensive assist’s.

In Brown’s announcement to be coach he said his first job was to get NC HS players to stay and go to UNC. Fedora soured a lot of HS coaches, and this year’s class was lost to NCSU, mainly. He said in 90s when UNC was very good 80-90% of players from NC.
Trying to flip Sam Howell from FSU (qb), but unlikely
May get some NCSU recruits to at least delay their signing past Dec. 19. I think they may flip a couple. Really need DL players more than anything. Brown says he wants to win now. Expects to compete from day 1. I like the attitude and positivity.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 01 December 2018 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4161
Joined  2011-02-04

Tim Brewster is one of just a few coaches on the 2017 FSU Jimbo staff that was carried over to the aTm staff. Basically it tells you he was highly regarded, seems strange he would make another move so soon, but that’s life as a position coach.

P.S. Tell Mack to back off on Sam Howell, FSU needs him badly

Posted: 01 December 2018 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
Garrett_TD23 - 01 December 2018 10:06 AM

Tim Brewster is one of just a few coaches on the 2017 FSU Jimbo staff that was carried over to the aTm staff. Basically it tells you he was highly regarded, seems strange he would make another move so soon, but that’s life as a position coach.

P.S. Tell Mack to back off on Sam Howell, FSU needs him badly

I’ve heard a lot more sketchy things about Jimbo than Mack.  Assistants need to protect their image too.  It could just be that Tim would much rather work with Mack than Jimbo.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 01 December 2018 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Tim Brewster started as a volunteer coach at UNC under Brown in the late 80’s. He was hired as TE coach after one season. When Brown left UNC Brewster followed him to Texas. He went to NFL, tried to be HC at Minnesota, and ultimately at FSU with Jimbo. All the while he kept a home near Chapel Hill, NC. He was offered by Brown on late Monday and accepted. He tweeted it was God’s plan to take him home. I’m getting excited about what they can do. Recruiting is key, and they started Tuesday. They visited a lot of UNC’s now 9 commitments, and some NCSU commitments. They are also full court pressing Howell. I have a feeling he’s a firm FSU commit. His mom likes Walt Bell, FSU’s OC and former UNC assistant coach. Degrees of seperation and all that, I guess.

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2018 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Brown is filling out his staff. Hired Jay Bateman from Army for DC, and is closing in on OC. Got 5 commitments this weekend, and Howell is playing it close to the vest. UNC is going to be better next season. That much I can guarantee.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2018 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Hold on 5 recruits committed?  Holy smokes that’s fast work.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 11 December 2018 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

^ make it 6 this past weekend, and about to flip a NCSU DL player. Also hired Phil Longo from Ole Miss as new OC, Larry Galloway from Louisville as new WR coach, and Brandon Jones from TT as new O line coach. All have experience in Air Raid offense, which MB said he’d like to employ. Sorry guys… NC about to be closed. Mack Brown and company are claiming it for them.

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2018 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

That’s a pretty amazing turn.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 11 December 2018 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12403
Joined  2008-10-29

I’ll hold judgement.  It all sounds good when you aren’t playing games.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.