Kansas St Bill Synder is retiring
Posted: 02 December 2018 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12403
Joined  2008-10-29

Seems to be breaking news, announcement supposedly coming today.

This is the job everyone always connected with Venables.  I think he would be in a pickle since his son is playing at Clemson and he seems to want to see that through.  But he is a Kansas guy.  Born there, played there, and started coaching there.  Pretty strong ties.  Hometown is literally right down the interstate from Manhattan.  We’ll see what happens.  Hope we can hang onto him.

He’s never seemed overly interested in a HC job, but could he of been waiting for this one?  He hasn’t been in Kansas on a more permanent status since 98, that is quite a long time.  A lot could of changed.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 02 December 2018 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4161
Joined  2011-02-04

Another legendary coach hanging it up. This seems like the perfect time for BV to take a head coaching job. I don’t see why it would be a problem for his son to transfer.

Posted: 02 December 2018 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4408
Joined  2013-01-17

Venables already responded to rumors of the Texas Tech job. 

http://themercury.com/k_state_sports/clemson-dc-brent-venables-confirms-he-s-talked-with-texas/article_27d93148-ec42-5c4e-bb9a-5bbb56eb21e1.html

““I’ve got a great job. I’ve got great loyalty and appreciation for the people that are responsible for me being here, the players, coach (Dabo) Swinney, Dan Radakovich, our administration, our fellow coaches. I would never compromise the integrity of my job for other opportunities. Ever,” Venables said. “That’s not who I am. Just so people understand where I’m at right now, my son Jake is here and he’s chasing a dream. I sold this dream to him. My responsibility as a dad is to support it as long as he wants to chase his dreams. Who am I to be a hypocrite, regardless of what opportunities are out there? That’s how I look at it.”” 

I take that as him saying it would be a betraying of his son to leave while he is playing at Clemson.  Let make sure we get that redshirt year in Dabo!

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 02 December 2018 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Thats why I said it’d be a pickle.  I don’t see him taking it, but if there was ever a job that could sway him, this may be that job.  I’ve said before not everyone wants to rush “home” and take a job, or go to their former school.  And BV may be one of those.  But some do, so just for arguments sake:  He was born 1hr down the road, played at KState, and coached at KState.  So really for the better part of 28 years to start his life he was around KState football either growing up beside it or being directly involved in it.  More than half of his life.

Again I think he’s happy where he is, he’s paid very well, he has talent to succeed, and his son is playing for him.  I just can’t but to feel like if we are losing BV to anyone, it will be to KState.  If he passes up KState I will be pretty damn sure he sticks around until his son graduates, at least.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 02 December 2018 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5543
Joined  2009-09-09

I have a belief that if Lincoln Riley makes the anticipate jump to the NFL, I would not be surprised at all if Venables gets a call from Oklahoma.  He was DC there before and knows the area….Again, the big thing with Venables is his son plays at Clemson and he is one of the highest paid guys in the nation to coach one side of the ball at a place that is probably going to offer him more money if Clemson wins the National Title.

To quote Milton, is it better to rule in hell or serve in Heaven?

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 02 December 2018 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Here’s the thing about coaching and “going home”.  P5 head coaches probably average 4-5 years on a team with that number dropping as more and more teams seem to raise expectations to unrealistic levels.  Venables has pretty good odds of that job being open again in 4 years when his son is done at Clemson. 

IMO “going home” is something younger guys think about more than older ones.  Most mature adults would think more of their kids happiness than their own when considering going home.  Jake’s home and happiness is likely solely centered around Clemson.  Do you really want to jeopardize that when you already make shit tons of money and have tons of publicity where you are?  I think most would say no. 

Actually I think the biggest thing that might factor into a coach like BV leaving would be the fact that his amazing DL is leaving and his stock might go down a bit next year because we will likely have a dip in defensive performance.  I think Jimbo, Spurrier, and Meyer have all made moves for that reason.  But I still think this isn’t nearly enough for BV to leave.  Depending on available talent look for Scott or Eliot to leave when Trevor goes pro too.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 02 December 2018 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  458
Joined  2014-03-26

I guess the question is, do these football programs actually want BV. The raving lunatic bit with the “get back guy” can’t possibly help him get to the next level even if that’s what he wanted. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great D.C.

Posted: 02 December 2018 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3908
Joined  2008-10-29

Regardless of what Venables does or doesn’t do…. Snyder is Kansas State football. He retired once, and was called back. He is an institution in college football, and will be missed. He achieved more with less than any other coach I can think of.
As an aside, they have awesome special teams play. His son is special teams coach, and he’s rumored to be coming to UNC.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 02 December 2018 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

I would say Cutcliffe does more with less better than anyone. 

Clemson needs a ST coach….

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 03 December 2018 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Yes we do!

Here is this
https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1069258089742983169?s=21

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 03 December 2018 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3908
Joined  2008-10-29

Two of the coaches named are former UNC coordinators in 2015 when they had that awesome season. Both took HC jobs after season elsewhere. Both were successful at this jobs.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!