Now Urban Meyer announces his retirement
Posted: 04 December 2018 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12403
Joined  2008-10-29

Effective after the Rose Bowl.  Ohio St seems content handing it all over to Ryan Day.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 04 December 2018 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5543
Joined  2009-09-09

I am not at all surprised at this announcement.  The writing was on the wall for him to step down.  I don’t know if he is done with coaching forever or if this is another health-break.

I will say that the year he was in the press booth calling games I found him to be really good at it.  He’s young enough to make the transition to broadcaster and enjoy a nice life.

There will come a time in few years where some big name program will offer him fort-knox type money to come out of retirement and it will be interesting to see if that happens.

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 04 December 2018 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  482
Joined  2012-01-24

Pretty sure I predicted that one. I say he goes for the USC job where marijuana is legal for his “headaches”.

Posted: 04 December 2018 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3526
Joined  2009-01-07

USC is a good bet. There are a few others that may open in the next couple of years that may interest him.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 04 December 2018 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4161
Joined  2011-02-04

Which USC?

Posted: 04 December 2018 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4408
Joined  2013-01-17
Garrett_TD23 - 04 December 2018 07:49 PM

Which USC?

lol the next mega school or the coaches grave yard.  Could go either way! 

I don’t think Meyer could stand to play Daddy Dabo every year.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 05 December 2018 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3908
Joined  2008-10-29

Mack Brown said Meyer called him at 6 am yesterday and told him what and why he was doing it. He has a cyst on his brain, and is fatigued. I’ll not hazard a guess at where he’ll go. I know he coached at Utah and knows the west, I guess. His name is known as a winner. If he does anything it would be after a year or two. Brown invited to come to CH to help this spring.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 05 December 2018 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5543
Joined  2009-09-09

It’s been pretty obvious that he’s been dealing with really severe headaches on the sideline and it’s probably been going on for a while.  I can only imagine how been it must be when inside a very noisy stadium dealing with a bad headache.

He will transition to the broadcasting side and enjoy life being around football without the stress. 

I am sure in a few years some major university will open up their checkbook and call on Urban Myer and it will be interesting to see if he would return.  It would have to be a substantial program with plenty of resources to achieve his goals.

I could easily see a place like Southern Cal or even FSU in a few years come calling.

If his health is really on shaky footing I would hope he just enjoys the money he has made and turns to broadcasting.  The year he was in the booth calling games I found him to be an excellent color commentator.

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 05 December 2018 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12403
Joined  2008-10-29

Mike Leach extends an invitation.

https://twitter.com/Coach_Leach/status/1070378569686224897?s=19

Did you know Leach will be Co-teaching a class next semester on “Leadership Lessons in Insurgent Warfare & Football Strategy.”?  Such a Mike Leach subject and thing to do.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.