Has College Football Become a Regional Sport?
Posted: 03 January 2019 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6146
Joined  2009-09-09

Although I don’t care for Colin Cowherd, I was listening to his assessment of the College Football playoffs and he said something that I think now rings some truth.  This YouTube needs to start at the 8:00 mark unless you want to hear his NFL ramblings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mostVyRA-sM&t=441s

In a nutshell he is stating the the South has dominated college football so much that other regions are tuning out…I think there is some truth to this.  It’s not the South’s fault, or Clemson and Bama’s fault…It’s just the way things are.

All I can say to the other regions is recruit better and play better.  The South doesn’t have nearly the variety of Pro-Teams these other regions have and the part of the Country goes all-in on college football.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 03 January 2019 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4219
Joined  2011-02-04

I’m not quite convinced. It’s been the Alabama show for the last 10 years. Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma have been consistently good for most of that time. ND has had 2 good years in 2012 and 2018.

Posted: 03 January 2019 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8498
Joined  2008-10-29

This is the common saying right now…pretty much all Clay Travis talks about. Obviously the South cares about college football the way Canada cares about Hockey. Doesn’t mean that folks don’t love the Tampa Bay Lightning. I’m not sure that a better Southern Cal or Michigan doesn’t change thing a dramatically,  but I am convinced that SeC chanting douchebags have hurt their own cause…

Gee I wonder who that sounds like.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 03 January 2019 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4611
Joined  2013-01-17

I think USC and Texas regaining national prominence would help.  I hate seeing Bama there every year so I’m sure a lot of the country hates seeing Bama and Clemson every year too.  The Bama and Clemson have dominated the playoffs and there is nothing to suggest it won’t continue.  It probably doesn’t help that every conference is going for a cash grab with dedicated channels and higher ticket prices.  As I’ve seen MANY coots claim this year, eventually the expense is too much for the lack of results. 

Think of Michigan.  Getting reamed for years by tOSU, finally get some momentum with the $8M coach, every talking head saying you are a playoff team and likely better than Clemson only for Urban to throw one more hay-maker before his mic drop.  Then you get creamed by a mediocre Florida team.  That’s the second biggest/best team in the north and they are getting destroyed by a good/mediocre southern team.  Where’s the hope???

West coast has had a few flashes of Oregon mostly ending in flames since USC’s collapse. 

BIG 12 has been all OU for a decade and they’ve put up 1.5 competitive post season games.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 07 January 2019 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12566
Joined  2008-10-29

I’m currently just outside San Jose, was out eating and overheard a convo at the table next to me between a couple in their mid 50s maybe?  The wife stated, in a surprised tone, that the CFB playoff was being played tomorrow in town.  The guy said yeah and explained it was Clemson and Bama for the 4th straight year and one of these teams had won it all those years.  He then went on to dig deeper and stated Clemson had a sophomore QB that won it for us last year as a freshman.

Even if that Clemson was misspoken, the local populous just couldn’t care any less.  This proved it for me tonight.  It may not fully be regional but it seems to be heading that way.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 07 January 2019 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4219
Joined  2011-02-04

It’s the thought that counts. Dabo Bowden going for Clemson’s 5th national championship in school history led by that sensational sophomore Sean Penn

Posted: 07 January 2019 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6146
Joined  2009-09-09

I think College football is good on the east coast up until maybe as high as where Penn State is and that my be too high outside of their fan base.  The New England States will never be embrace College Football…I think the Ohio Valley-Michigan region will continue to do well also….As far as moving west, I think all significant college football interest stops past Texas.

I am not saying if a West Coast program like USC has a strong run it won’t foster interest…..but only as long as those programs do well.

In the South, college football fans have clearly demonstrated that even if their team in not doing well, love of the game still keeps their attention.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 07 January 2019 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12566
Joined  2008-10-29

Just got parked.  Lot attendant asked who we were playing against.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 07 January 2019 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4611
Joined  2013-01-17

Wow that’s crazy. Down here an attendant would be more likely to name half of both starting rosters than ask that question.  Gg pac 12

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions