Southern Pigskin 2019 Pre-Spring Top 25
Posted: 13 January 2019 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6082
Joined  2009-09-09

The 2018 Season is just barely over and already looking to 2019.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/sec/pre-spring-2019-top-25/

Southern Pigskin’s official pre-spring 2019 top 25 rankings.

1. Alabama: Even after a tough national championship loss, Nick Saban returns the best quarterback in college football.

2. Clemson: The defending champs, with Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne, could have the best offense in the country.

3. Georgia: The Bulldogs had one of the top offensive lines in the game last year and lose only starter up front.

4. Ohio State: Ryan Day now has two solid options to replace Dwayne Haskins at quarterback.

5. Oklahoma: Two Heisman winners later, Lincoln Riley has cemented himself as the best offensive mind in the sport.

6. LSU: The Tigers lose some star power on defense, but return plenty as well, including star safety Grant Delpit.

7. Michigan: Shea Patterson’s return to school grants Jim Harbaugh some much needed continuity behind center.

8. Notre Dame: Four returning offensive linemen could see a return to the blocking dominance of 2017.

9. Florida: Another year under Dan Mullen could do wonders for Feleipe Franks who improved dramatically last season.

10. Texas: Fresh off of a dominant Sugar Bowl win over Georgia, Texas is ready to prove they’re back.

11. Texas A&M: Kellen Mond improved leaps and bounds as a sophomore and will have most of his top targets back.

12. Oregon: Justin Herbert’s surprise return to school could have the Ducks as a darkhorse playoff contender.

13. UCF: Josh Huepel picked up where Scott Frost left off and Darriel Mack showed promise in McKenzie Milton’s absence.

14. Auburn: Auburn’s defensive line will be a force to be reckoned with, led by Derrick Brown.

15. Penn State: James Franklin must replace Trace McSorley, but the Nittany Lions may not miss a beat with Tommy Stevens.

16. Washington: Former Georgia quarterback Jacob Eason is ready to take the reigns from Jake Browning.

17. Boise State: An experienced defense could help return Boise State to the top of the G5 ranks.

18. Wisconsin: Walker Award winner Jonathan Taylor will look to reprise his role as college football’s top back.

19. South Carolina: Jake Bentley and the Gamecock offense could take a big step in Bryan McClendon’s second year.

20. Miami: Manny Diaz’s defense should continue to be elite, so even marginal QB improvement would go a long way.

21. Missouri: Clemson transfer Kelly Bryant brings a unique dimension to Derek Dooley’s offense.

22. Syracuse: Dino Babers could again have the best special teams in the nation, with Andre Szmyt and Sterling Hofrichter.

23. Utah: Kyle Whittingham returns his entire starting offense, save two offensive linemen, and seven starters on defense.

24. Appalachian State: Eliah Drinkwitz will benefit from a ton of returning talent on the defending Sun Belt champs.

25. Army: Jeff Monken just led the Black Knights to its first ever eleven win season, and shows no signs of slowing down.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 13 January 2019 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6082
Joined  2009-09-09

A couple of things…First I hope everyone keeps Clemson below Bama all year.  I hope people keep saying the ACC is bad and Clemson doesn’t play anyone.  That keeps the chip on our shoulder.  Keep stroking Bama’s ego. 

I will make an argument on Tua being better that Lawrence.  I’m not sure that applies.  Tua has more snaps, but in his two biggest Games, UGA and Bama, he didn’t finish from injury and flat getting beat.

I think SPS continues to put way too much stock in Kelly Bryant at Missouri.  He’s a one trick pony that has horrible passing stats over 20 yards.

South Carolina?..You are aware Deebo left..correct? 

Syracuse without Dungy will be interesting.

Miami with new HC and a QB issue?...Maybe if they land Hurts.

One good thing about Polls..they give people something to talk about.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 13 January 2019 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12554
Joined  2008-10-29

I stopped reading at “Nick Saban returns the best QB in college football.”  What a joke.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 13 January 2019 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4580
Joined  2013-01-17

3. UGA is 154 point behind Bama.  If they can’t solve that they wont sniff the playoff. 

14. Auburn.  Seriously 8-5 Auburn?  Why? They were wildly inconsistent and only had ONE good game against Purdue.  Defense is ok, offense needs work bad.  They could have very easily missed a bowl game this year. 

19. South Carolina.  Have you not seen their schedule?  USCjr will be lucky to make a bowl next year.  They will not be ranked and have done nothing to deserve the honor.  Another team with wild inconsistency on offense and a defense that has been getting worse with a defensive HC.  Jake might not even be the starter all year. 

Interesting that there’s faith in Mizzou or USCjr but none in VT improving their young defense or a much more talented FSU adjusting to Tag’s scheme. 

I think Lincoln Riley might be getting a little too much credit after stumbling upon 2 Heisman winners in the worst defensive league in the country. 

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 13 January 2019 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3991
Joined  2008-10-29

Army losing DC…. UNC will end up in the top 25 no question.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 13 January 2019 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4206
Joined  2011-02-04

Lots of love with the G5 schools, but I understand, those listed in the top 25 are/were pretty good.

I knew the Clemson crowd would take issue with Tua being declared the best QB in the land and U of SC having a preseason top 25 ranking.

I won’t question the rankings other than the glaring omission of UVA, the team that thumped U of SC. They are returning a good bit of their team including QB Bryce Perkins. They would be my favorite to win the Coastal.

I thought SU’s back up QB played well last year, he played a lot last season and sparked wins over FSU and UNC. They are not going to miss a beat on offense, thinking 10 wins again.

FSUs OL is still depleted, they really whiffed on some top recruits this year that could have been playing key minutes immediately except for Dontae Lucas. So I would say leaving FSU out of the top 25 is a good decision.