1 of 2
What Kind Of TV or Movies Have you Been Watching Lately?
Posted: 16 January 2019 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6395
Joined  2009-09-09

In an attempt to lighten things up here’s a puff-piece.  In the off season, my wife and I trying to find some popular movies or TV shows to watch in the evening.  After getting caught up on Game of Thrones, we have started watching the Starz series called “Outlander”...It’s pretty good. Not to be watched with kids around.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 16 January 2019 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3878
Joined  2009-01-07

Good to get recommendations. I haven’t watched too much lately, but I am up to date on Ray Donovan. We also watched Bird Box which isn’t really my t hing, but I thought I would check it out. Some of these series take a long time before the next season comes out, but I did see that Billions will be back soon. I’m also interested in catching the new series of True Detective. I’m really waiting for Peaky Blinders to come out. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has some good characters in it.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 16 January 2019 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

My wife and I watched Bird Box….really bizarre but oddly interesting.  I read somewhere that Nextlix will buy movies like this because the studios are afraid the won’t perform well and don’t want to spend the money to promote and distribute them to the theaters.  They can buy them and put them on their streaming service and pull in viewers. The show has been a huge success for them.

Between now and the end of the school year is a good time for us to catch up on things and maybe try out some things we have heard about…..I have to tell you that Outlander is really good.

We also starter watching that new series that just started on the History Channel called “Project Bluebook” based on the fellow in the 50’s and 60’s that did a lot of the investigating.  If you are a Game of Thrones fan, the fellow that played “Littlefinger” is the star of this new series.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 23 January 2019 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4041
Joined  2008-10-29

True Dectective on HBO looks like it may be good. The punisher on Netflix is ok. As an aside, we are considering ditching DirecTV and just using Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I see adds on atV to watch live sports on Hulu. Does anyone here know any more on this?

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 23 January 2019 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2013-01-17

I don’t have an active show so I’ve just been watching replays of the Natty….

As a new home owner that refuses to pay $200/month for Comcast I went with just the internet package and have tried Hulu and Sling.  I didn’t like the format of sling and there were fewer things to watch.  I enjoyed Hulu and I don’t believe there was ever a game that wasn’t OTA or Hulu accessible for me, strictly speaking CFB here.  I still need to try Direct TV Now and Youtube TV. 

I enjoyed stranger things but I think the next season is still a ways out.  I occasionally watch Manifest with the GF, it’s ok I guess.  If I stumble upon it I’ll watch Bull. 

Now that Deer, CFB, and Fishing season are over I might need a show to occupy some dead time.  Most of my TV time has been spent learning up on tanning hides and leather working on youtube lately.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 24 January 2019 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 23 January 2019 11:20 PM

I don’t have an active show so I’ve just been watching replays of the Natty….

As a new home owner that refuses to pay $200/month for Comcast I went with just the internet package and have tried Hulu and Sling.  I didn’t like the format of sling and there were fewer things to watch.  I enjoyed Hulu and I don’t believe there was ever a game that wasn’t OTA or Hulu accessible for me, strictly speaking CFB here.  I still need to try Direct TV Now and Youtube TV. 

I enjoyed stranger things but I think the next season is still a ways out.  I occasionally watch Manifest with the GF, it’s ok I guess.  If I stumble upon it I’ll watch Bull. 

Now that Deer, CFB, and Fishing season are over I might need a show to occupy some dead time.  Most of my TV time has been spent learning up on tanning hides and leather working on youtube lately.

So…You and your wife are Slingers?.....I’ve heard of people like you. 

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 24 January 2019 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07
UNC 98 - 23 January 2019 09:41 PM

True Dectective on HBO looks like it may be good. The punisher on Netflix is ok. As an aside, we are considering ditching DirecTV and just using Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I see adds on atV to watch live sports on Hulu. Does anyone here know any more on this?

True Detective does look good. The first series was great, but the second was not. I hope this one gets back on track.

I’ve gone without cable and was fine, but I did have some problems with streaming football. I got cable this year for football season.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2019 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

To be honest, Cable TV is going through a period where some of the best drama, sci-fi, comedy is happening there compared to the stuff seen in the cinemas.  I watched an interview with Lucas and Spielberg a few years ago and the both said Cable TV was where the greatest creativity is happening and I agree.  Because of all of the networks, a lot more experimenting is happening.  You have misses, but when you get a success, it’s pretty cool.  Loo at shows like Game of Thrones and the Sopranos just to name a few.

I mentioned Outlander earlier and my wife and I are on a bit of a binge with this series.  It’s a really good show, but not for the kid because of the sexual themes.  If you want to hear about the Scottish Highlander culture in the 1700’s with a little time travel twist dropped in you may find it appealing.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 24 January 2019 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

I think Outlander might be my next one. I told my wife you recommended it, and she had also heard it was good, so we’ll give it a shot soon.

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2019 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Curggr - 24 January 2019 10:33 AM

I think Outlander might be my next one. I told my wife you recommended it, and she had also heard it was good, so we’ll give it a shot soon.

My wife and I just finished all seasons and are caught up with the series.  In fact we finished just in time to view the season 4 season finale.  We Really like the show. It’s something that a couple can watch and enjoy.  It definitely has a lot of “manly-man” themes but it definitely has some “chick-flick” aspect to it as well.  A good mix.

We are in that time of the year where sports isn’t the greatest.  I’m not a basketball fan but will peek in some of the March Madness and maybe follow a little college baseball but I’m not a pro sport guy so this is the time when my wife and try to find some good series to end our day with.

Of course the 800 pound gorilla or should I say “Dragon” is Game of Thrones finale season returning in April.  I’m really looking forward to that.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 07 February 2019 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

I haven’t gotten to Outlander yet, but have it on the radar. e just watched the Ted Bundy Tapes on a recommendation. He was definitely a sicko, and it’s tough to listen to at times, but it’s pretty interesting.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2019 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Curggr - 07 February 2019 10:54 AM

I haven’t gotten to Outlander yet, but have it on the radar. e just watched the Ted Bundy Tapes on a recommendation. He was definitely a sicko, and it’s tough to listen to at times, but it’s pretty interesting.

I heard a lot about that series.  It’s not something I want to watch but are also oddly compelled to watch…sort of like when you pass by a traffic accident and slow down enough to see what happened….

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 07 February 2019 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  498
Joined  2014-03-26

Game of Thrones is incredible, of course. Vikings series on the history channel is really good. It’s part history and fiction. Better Call Saul is also a good one even if you’re not a Breaking Bad fan.

Posted: 07 February 2019 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07
CU_Tigers4life - 07 February 2019 11:14 AM
Curggr - 07 February 2019 10:54 AM

I heard a lot about that series.  It’s not something I want to watch but are also oddly compelled to watch…sort of like when you pass by a traffic accident and slow down enough to see what happened….

Yeah, it’s a bit of a morbid curiosity.It’s also makes you think about someone like that can blend in and get to people pretty easily.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2019 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

I feel like I’ve missed out on Game of Thrones. Everyone that watches it that I know has loved it, but I’ve never watched it.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2019 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Curggr - 07 February 2019 01:09 PM

I feel like I’ve missed out on Game of Thrones. Everyone that watches it that I know has loved it, but I’ve never watched it.

You are missing out on a lot.  It certainly has to be one of the GOAT shows..

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

1 of 2