What’s Going On With the VaTech Exodus? 
Posted: 24 January 2019 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5850
Joined  2009-09-09

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/virginia-tech-quarterback-josh-jackson-announces-transfer-from-hokies-as-exodus-continues/

Somethings is not right with Va Tech and hasn’t been right in a while.  I would love to here from some Va Tech fans that may be more dialed into the scuttlebutt. 

This transfer rule may be part of the problem but I have to think there is more.

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 24 January 2019 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-02-22

I’ve been asking the same question. Too many players have left and/or been shown the door in the last 2 years.

Signature 

Owner of http://www.ACCFootballRx.Blogspot.com

Posted: 24 January 2019 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3634
Joined  2009-01-07

It has been strange. That’s such a cool place and an attractive place to be, I would think players would enjoy it. They also have a solid name and history. I haven’t heard anything bad about the new staff, but that has to be the first guess.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 24 January 2019 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I always liked Va Tech and their fans.  For the health of the ACC, team like Va Tech, with such a strong fan base, needs to become one of the top football programs in the ACC.

I have said this many time and I will say it again and that is I think Bud Foster’s effectiveness at VT is done.  He’s never really been able to handle HUNH teams with good offenses.

I though VT was on the move back when Fuentes got them back to the ACCCG pretty quickly and now you have all of these kids leaving.

It’s going to be interesting to see how much time the fan bases will give Fuentes before the grumblings of change begin.  The Coastal Division is ripe for one team to step forward and dominate.  Who’s that program going to be?

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2019 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3634
Joined  2009-01-07

That’s a good question about the Coastal. I don’t think Pitt is going to really move much past where they are, and VT, Miami, and GT are struggling or in transition. From what’s left, Virginia may have a good year or two, but right now, I think UNC has the most upside.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 25 January 2019 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-02-22

GT seems like they are going all-in on recruiting with their recent coaching staff hires. However, I think the team with the most upside is clearly Miami. Diaz is a high-energy guy (not unlike Dabo Swinney in that regard), and they’ve certainly mopped up on the transfer portal… we’ll see how that translates into wins (and the first FULL recruiting cycle for Diaz next year).

Signature 

Owner of http://www.ACCFootballRx.Blogspot.com

Posted: 25 January 2019 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3956
Joined  2008-10-29

I also wonder about VT. It is a nice place, but not really close to anything. They have to get the players that Uva is now in play for. Also, UNC can sometimes get the tidewater area players. I read somewhere there is already a little grumbling about Fuentes. I personally think that is unfair.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 25 January 2019 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Hokie Mark - 25 January 2019 08:40 AM

GT seems like they are going all-in on recruiting with their recent coaching staff hires. However, I think the team with the most upside is clearly Miami. Diaz is a high-energy guy (not unlike Dabo Swinney in that regard), and they’ve certainly mopped up on the transfer portal… we’ll see how that translates into wins (and the first FULL recruiting cycle for Diaz next year).

I’m not sold that “The U” can come back like it once was.  The university is not keeping up with the nuclear arms race to build these amazing football complex’s popping up all over the place, they don’t have a stadium on campus and Miami as a horrible crime problem where a lot of these kids use their talents to get out of that area and into a safer place to try and build a career.

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2019 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12496
Joined  2008-10-29

The success of UVA this year isn’t helping the pressure either.  It is interesting, you see the transfers but haven’t read anything really negative leak out like you would normally hear.  Something isn’t right though.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 30 January 2019 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4206
Joined  2011-02-04

Perhaps the backup is pushing for playing time?

Posted: 30 January 2019 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 25 January 2019 06:48 PM

The success of UVA this year isn’t helping the pressure either.  It is interesting, you see the transfers but haven’t read anything really negative leak out like you would normally hear.  Something isn’t right though.

The problem with the transfer rule as it applies to a place like UVa, which is not a perennial power, can snag a guy that may not have been good enough initially at one of the major programs and suddenly develops into a dominant player and decides to move on the a marquis program to up his stock if he has NFL ambitions.  Big time programs have so much depth usually that they 2nd and 3rd string guys and take over and still be dominant…see the Dexter Lawrence issue. 

I think this transfer situation is going to really hurt a lot of programs that have potentially to go to the next level but will struggle to get traction with the transfers

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2019 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12496
Joined  2008-10-29

Good time to bump this as VT just lost another.  Hendon Hooker QB just entered the portal.

https://twitter.com/henboss2/status/1090671493527334912?s=21

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 30 January 2019 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 30 January 2019 03:01 PM

Good time to bump this as VT just lost another.  Hendon Hooker QB just entered the portal.

https://twitter.com/henboss2/status/1090671493527334912?s=21

I think it’s safe to say that there is a real problem at VT.  This is too good of a program historically to have so many leave.  The boosters won’t let this keep happening without demanding some answers.

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2019 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3956
Joined  2008-10-29

When UNC was going through the NCAA mess.. it was VT and NCSU coaches who were saying they would get the death penalty and such. I’ve decided I will take pleasure in whatever hardships either team goes through.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!