Nike Has Some Serious Damage Control Over Zion’s Shoe
Posted: 21 February 2019 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6411
Joined  2009-09-09

UNC got a big break when Zions sneaker literally exploded within the first 30 seconds of the game causing him to sprain his knee:

Nike on the hand has a real PR nightmare as their stocks are already dropping. 

Could Nike actually be sued by Zion if his injury turned out to be career ending or perhaps career hindering?  I don’t know.  It seems that the product failed and caused injury.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 21 February 2019 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3882
Joined  2009-01-07

Yeah, that looks bad for Nike. Those tickets were going for thousands to see that game, and he was a big part of the attraction. Nike look bad on a big stage and their shoe failure took out the main attraction at the very beginning.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 21 February 2019 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8704
Joined  2008-10-29

Lol, if only Carolina didn’t wear Nike also, or have injuries and missing players too, all the apologists would have a good argument.

Shoe blaming for a loss…that’s a new one. I’m sure Zion could have stopped 30 from Luke Maye and 27 from Cam Johnson.

Fortunately Duke will get their shot again in couple of weeks with Zion back if he doesn’t quit on the team. Better hope they win that one or they won’t be able to blame the shoe.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 21 February 2019 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6411
Joined  2009-09-09

No one is saying UNC would have loss the game but it does impact the game.  UNC looked pretty good and from what I saw I believe they still win.  The comment is more about the impact on Nike than the UNC game. Nike is already taking a hit from this.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 21 February 2019 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Ok, sounded like it but I’ll back off then. A lot of Duke apologists are using the excuse.

Id buy some Nike stock if you have disposable income. I just did my back door Roth conversion so I don’t have any to invest right now.

Those that did on the Kapernik dip did well. Very well. In fact can I get some conservative outrage on my entire portfolio?
I need to make up for my 9% loss the great businessman President got me this year.

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2019 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3882
Joined  2009-01-07

I’m not surprised to hear that Duke fans are saying that. It’s a hard case to make since UNC dominated the game.
I had the same thought about Nike stock this morning.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 21 February 2019 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I guess it wouldn’t be a rivalry if there weren’t butt hurt losers. I’m sure there will be lots of Carolina fans doing the same thing if the Heels lose in Chapel Hill.

Me? I know there will always be another game. Always.

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2019 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4045
Joined  2008-10-29

Shoes bust. It happens a lot. It’s just here it was on a big stage. Maybe Dook should get Jordan’s instead of those PG2 shoes. Regardless, I think it showed he is not the best player on that team. Without him the other two lottery picks did well. The problem was the inability of others to score. I think UNC had something to say about that. UNC was missing two valuable reserves, as well. I personally think K’s philosophy of taking all the one and donee every year does not mesh with his style. I see today he burned a red shirt in the 25 th game. Big dude may not come back.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 24 February 2019 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12754
Joined  2008-10-29

How does that even happen to a shoe??  The foam cushion bit is just torn.  Like snapping a piece of Styrofoam.  It’s not even that old, not like his old trusty pair of shoes he’s been wearing for 10 years and just worn out.  It’s shoes given to one of the most prominent Div I basketball schools in the country.  I switched my shoe brand loyalty over to Adidas a while back, my feet have never felt better.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 24 February 2019 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4735
Joined  2013-01-17

It’s a pretty embarrassing situation and couldn’t have happened on a bigger stage short of a championship game between the two. 

I didn’t watch the game but I think Duke would have had a better chance with the future #1 pick.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 24 February 2019 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4045
Joined  2008-10-29

Shoes weren’t new. Word is, unlike most players, he hasn’t changed them out all year. He’s well over 250 lbs and very athletic. Over time of hard use… I remember as a child I could only get 1 pair of shoes before school (I didn’t grow up very
well off in Durham, NC). By the next summer they’d be torn up pretty bad, and I blew through a couple of pairs of Nike’s. He’s a big guy, practicing, playing, running around the gym in the same pair.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!