Deer hunting calibers and cartridges
Posted: 01 March 2019 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  483
Joined  2014-03-26

Back in the summer most of the hunters that I come in contact with were raving about the accuracy and terminal damage of Winchester Deer Season XP cartridges.
So I bought a couple of boxes in 308 and 30-06. They grouped better at 100 yards than any affordable round I have ever tried. Sub moa in the 06 and an inche and a quarter in the 308. Only $21 a box and the round has a ballistic tip that advertises rapid expansion.

Well, my son and I harvested three bucks and a doe with the XPs. All four were clean double lungs and omg, we had all of them run over 70 yards. We tracked one buck over 120 yards and it was a clean pass through. All were evening hunts and if we didn’t have 3400 lumen Nebos we would have never found three of them. Both calibers used 150 grain rounds and had very little blood to trail.

These rounds boost my confidence due to their accuracy but the longest I’ve ever had to track a deer with a clean lung pass through is 50 yards with an average of about 35 to 40 yards. I’m retiring the XPs because of the obvious poor expansion.
This next season I’ve bought Hornaday Precision Hunter in the 178 grain. Btw, all deer were shot between 100 and 125 yards. I was wondering if anyone on the board had had epic disappointments with any fan boy calibers or cartridges.

Posted: 01 March 2019 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4539
Joined  2013-01-17

All high lung?  Got pics?

I use Winchester something 150 grain in my 3006 and haven’t had a problem.  I rarely have to track deer and the ones I have lately have only gone 10 yards and bled like they were hit by a bazooka.  One this year hit a double lung at 120 yards, 100lb doe.  She bucked when I hit her but I checked to make sure so I didn’t have to track when it was dark.  I found a good chunk of lung right where I shot her about the size of a quarter.  Ray Charles could have tracked that deer. 

I’ll check the box to see exactly what kind.  I got a few boxes from walmart for $13. It must have been before new rounds hit the shelf because they were half off.  I won’t need to buy any more for 5 seasons unless some hogs show back up.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 01 March 2019 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5924
Joined  2009-09-09

Signature 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted: 01 March 2019 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  483
Joined  2014-03-26

I generally aim for the center f the area so I’d say middle. I typically don’t go low for the heart lung shot unless it’s 70 yds or closer. In the past I’ve smacked em down with the 06 in 150 grain core lokts and 150 federal fusion. I must say though that it’s really easy to get a lung pass through without hitting a major artery, heart, or rib. In this case you likely wouldn’t get a lot of blood. I’ve hit a few quartering and it’s an absolute blood bath. I try to take the most ethical shot that saves the most meat. Never lost a deer when I knew I made a got shot. I have lost a couple that I shot through light brush. Bottom line, I won’t ever use Deer season XPs again. I have no pics of entry or exit, and if I did I wouldn’t have enough sense to post them in this format.