Trump Orders Post-Service Military Overhaul So Graduates Can Go Pro Immediately
Posted: 29 June 2019 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6149
Joined  2009-09-09

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27062735/trump-orders-post-military-service-rule-overhaul

I’m going to have to disagree rather strongly on this.  When you go to a service academy or do 4 years of ROTC, you need to serve your obligation.  The Service Academy’s allow for a Freshman or Sophomore to leave with no military obligation, but when you enter the third year you will be obligated to military service.

The Service Academies spend a tremendous amount of time and money training a cadet to become an officer. Having served 4 years at the Air Force Academy in the 80’s as a medic in the Athletic Department I would like to think I have some perspective on this manner.

A lot of times athletes are recruited to a service academy that would not normally have the grades to get in on their own academics and goes to either a prep-school or gets additional tutoring to get their grades up to Academy standards.  These Cadets are also not taking basket weaving classes. 

There have been many of examples of Athletes that went to the service Academy’s that served their military obligation then went to have very successful profession sports careers. Staubach, David Robinson, McCallum were a few. 

I would argue that serving that commitment will make a person a better prepared athlete for life after serving.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 29 June 2019 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4611
Joined  2013-01-17

Having easy outs make the service programs much better.  One of them lost a good player recently because he saw he had a chance at the NFL and left.  Losing like 5 people to the Pro’s every year is completely insignificant and not worth fighting about.  If it’s anything like the Citadel there may be some students that hate how athletes get easy treatment which turns into resentment and might hurt morale a bit.  But at the same time I’m sure most of them would love to have better football teams too. 

Personally if I were at Army I would prefer my football team kick ass over being bitter that 3 people didn’t serve so they could be more successful in life.  I’m not military so maybe I “just don’t get it” but I would consider this situation akin to being butthurt that Watson didn’t stick around for his senior season, arguably costing us a championship.  Ridiculous to have that expectation. 

Edit* I was lazy and didn’t decide to read the “article” until after posting.  They mentioned the transfer kid that went pro. 
There was a statement by Mattis mentioning tax payer money.  Do the academies not get NCAA funding?  You can’t tell me they don’t get TV money.  I would think their football program not earning enough money to support itself would be unlikely and a sign of poor leadership. 
I wonder how title 9 and the service academies work, or used to work as they may have it even now.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 01 July 2019 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3774
Joined  2009-01-07

I’m not a fan of it. It’s another example of giving athletes special treatment. To my knowledge engineering students can’t ask to defer because there’s an opportunity to work on a particular project somewhere. As stated in the OP, they can already leave early if they see their career going that way.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 08 July 2019 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

There are kids that have great grades and would crawl through broken glass to get an appointment to a service academy.  I don’t want to see an athlete take that spot away from a kid that wants to serve his nation because an athlete that probably couldn’t get an appointment on his/her grades took that slot and wants to go make money in pro sports rather than serve out his obligation.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 09 July 2019 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12567
Joined  2008-10-29

All I see changing is them not going into active service.  They could still serve in a reserve roll.  Not sure if this is the exact plan but it seems better than them not being commissioned at all in some form.  Remember this will only be a select few players especially coming from the academies.  Army has only had 26 selections since 1946.  Navy with 17 since 1947.  Air Force with 8 since 1971.  We aren’t talking about tons of officers getting away here folks, IMO it’s not that big of a deal.  There are so many more officers going through OCS programs and WO routes.  To me the service academies are like the Ivy Leagues, just kind of a name held above people more than anything.  Oh you went to West Point?  Ok, doesn’t make you a better officer it’s just something you wanna brag about.  Hell, often times those boot butter bars coming out of the academies might as well be a PFC.  I’d rather have a WO in charge in most cases anyway.  No one in the enlisted ranks respects you for being a West Point grad, it often is the opposite.  I don’t think they are taking spots from others, there are many routes to obtaining the same commission.

Listen I wanted to be a Marine, but I also wanted millions of dollars and if I had the chance to choose between the two when I enlisted I’d probably take the millions.  Generational wealth, money that can affect many more than myself.  There’s more than one way to skin a cat, there’s more than one way to serve.  But I also knew going in it would not be my career but more a short term adventure so it may be a bit different situation.  If they go in with the intention of serving and then they create the opportunity of becoming an NFL talent, let them choose and possibly go to the NFL.  Forcing people into the military is never the answer.  It’s why I will never be in favor of mandatory service.  If they don’t want to be there, even if they previously thought they did like enrolling in an academy, they will radiate toxicity.  Bad attitudes, constant bitching, bad decisions that could impact others, not focused on the job, etc.  it’s like working a job you hate, that could impact other people’s lives.  These people are watching your back and possibly making platoon, company, and battalion level decisions, do you want a bitter guy that doesn’t want to be there making these calls?

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 09 July 2019 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Remember this will only be a select few players especially coming from the academies

As I said, these “select few” are taking away slots from people that want to serve and not use it as a way to get a pro deal.  While you are correct about OCS and ROTC, any service academy graduate really comes out with an advantage career wise. 

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 10 July 2019 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12567
Joined  2008-10-29
CU_Tigers4life - 09 July 2019 08:39 AM

Remember this will only be a select few players especially coming from the academies

As I said, these “select few” are taking away slots from people that want to serve and not use it as a way to get a pro deal. 

I guess I don’t see it the same.  I don’t see that 1 or 2 spots that happens in this specific case as such a priceless thing.  Willing to bet there is at least 10x more people getting into the academies through name or who they know more than true merit which is taking so many more spots than the black sheep NFL draft pick once a decade is.

CU_Tigers4life - 09 July 2019 08:39 AM

While you are correct about OCS and ROTC, any service academy graduate really comes out with an advantage career wise.

A military career advantage or civilian?  Not necessarily for military.  What advantage is that?  A boot 2nd Lt is a boot 2nd Lt.  they rate the same and no enlisted man is going to respect a service academy grad more than the OCS officer, they won’t care frankly.  The only officer that would rate respect higher with enlisted men would be a WO/Mustang type in the because they came from the enlisted ranks and are much more experienced.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 10 July 2019 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

We aren’t going to agree and that’s cool.  I fully admit that I have a very bias opinion.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….