1 of 2
Is Clemson Disrespected or are the fans just too sensitive?
Posted: 08 August 2019 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6427
Joined  2009-09-09

I listen to McElroy on Sirius 84 every morning and they’ve had this discussion for a few days.  Being an outsider he doesn’t quite understand the historical connection Clemson and the community has. Anyway, he and the other commentators are suggesting that Clemson needs to stop playing the underappreciated card and act like champions..I guess that means Alabama cocky and arrogant?  Yesterday he had Tajh Boyd on to discuss the manner and Tajh come out throwing haymakers at McElroy (not mean-spirited) about how Clemson never gets the love. A lot of Clemson callers chimed in and to the surprise of the host, the are expressed that feeling of disrespect.

Clemson fans are a sensitive lot.  I acknowledge that.  But I do think it’s justified to a degree. As long as we are in the ACC will will always be the bastard in the eyes of the other P5 conferences.

Dabo also plays this up like a maestro.  His most recent comments about this are a prime example and there is truth to what he says:

“I know people say that Alabama was tired because they went through the grind and had to play all these teams,” Swinney told ESPN. “Well, they won by an average of 33.1 points per game [going into the playoff], so they ought to be well-rested.

“My thing on that is, ‘Are you serious? They’re tired?’ Then you look at Clemson, and we won 12 games by 20-plus. Who really challenged Alabama in the SEC? They didn’t get challenged by anybody until the Georgia game [for the SEC championship].”

Here is another comment from the same interview:

“People get amnesia,” Swinney said to ESPN. “A lot of folks make a lot of bold claims early in the year and then they forget, and there’s a lot of excuses when it doesn’t go that way. Five, six or seven years ago, the rhetoric was that an ACC team is not going to win a national championship because they don’t play anybody during the season, so then they get to the postseason and are just not prepared for the big, bad boys.

“Well, now, they’ve flipped it around, and the only reason we’re winning is because we don’t play anybody in the ACC. ... You don’t just come out of a soft conference and haven’t played anybody and all of a sudden go out and beat Notre Dame and Alabama.”

What say you?  I would love to hear from the non-Clemson people about this.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 08 August 2019 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4222
Joined  2011-02-04

What ever works for Clemson, if the disrespect card fuels you to another NC then continue playing that card. When you start to be the confident, arrogant team you will be america’s most hated. And I agree that Clemson is a sensitive bunch.

Posted: 08 August 2019 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1040
Joined  2010-09-06

Whatever works. Frank Mcguire used the us against the world card and it worked for him. Dabo is right you can’t have it both ways: you can’t win because you don’t play anybody - you win because you don’t play anybody. I will say this Clemson has the easier path to the playoffs and the playoffs have benefited Clemson for the years they would not have been in the top two.

Signature 

“you are what your record says you are” Bill Parcells

Posted: 08 August 2019 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

South Carolina should have never left the ACC. As much as I dislike them they would be a much better fit in the ACC. If the ACC is as “weak” as most of the SEC people claim, then a school like the Gamecocks would almost certainly be in the CFP hunt annually and at a minimum be in a New Years 6 bowl living the dream. Why would any SEC team that can’t win in that league not want to take the “easy” path?..Unless it’s not so easy.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 08 August 2019 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3887
Joined  2009-01-07

I think it’s a little of both. I think Clemson hasn’t been respected and now fans find disrespect in everything.

Finebaum does like to have it both ways. He’ll talk about Clemson winning because Alabama was tired and then complain about sensitive fans when they don’t like what he said.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 08 August 2019 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1040
Joined  2010-09-06

Leaving the ACC hurt us in basketball not so much in football. Being in the SEC is tough but I wouldn’t want it any other way. We did not take advantage of the years when the east was down except once and then we got smoked by AU in the SECCG. Now not only have we got to beat a rejuvenated UGA and UF we have to contend with the Bama juggernaut if we get by them. Even UK has gotten better they’ve beaten us five in a row. Clemson is fortunate that the usual ACC powers: UM, VT, and FSU, are in a state of decline.

Signature 

“you are what your record says you are” Bill Parcells

Posted: 08 August 2019 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12777
Joined  2008-10-29

I think its because we aren’t a traditional blue blood.  For so long, CFB has run on the backs of the blue blood programs.  So it’s just a natural bias.  It’s the same reason Ohio State is high in the polls every year.  And every year Michigan is a contender, same with Notre Dame.  Clemson is the one program breaking the mold.  They’ve climbed into the new blue blood status.

They are still disrespected by talking heads trying to get clicks and reactions, but for the most part I think the respect is there across CFB.  If it still works though, hell play that card to the end.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 08 August 2019 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

For me it goes back to the “ACC Wheel of Destiny” where the ACC was mocked by Lou Holtz, Mark May and Reece Davis with Clemson being the frequent target.  IMO they really created the whole “Clemosning” thing and it went on far longer than it needed to and Dabo finally snapped on a report about that and I think that’s when coach realized he could really play the underdog card…Also, during the BCS era the SEC bias was so bad it was sickening.  Thanks to the Playoff ERA is more about a few tams than the whole conference.

I still get triggered when people come up with excuses for Clemson’s success…

Examples from last year:

“Texas A&M should have beat Clemson”...They never mention it was on the road and early in the season..just the refs cheated or Clemson got lucky..

“They almost lost to Syracuse”...This one really chaps my ass.  Kelli Bryan quit the team that week, Trevor Lawrence got hurt early in the game and an 18Y/O kid had to come off the bench and save the season.  That game IMO showed the mettle that Clemson had last year.  They sucked it up and pounded the rock old-fashioned.  That was a Syracuse team that won 10 games.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 10 August 2019 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4753
Joined  2013-01-17
legalfee - 08 August 2019 10:48 AM

Whatever works. Frank Mcguire used the us against the world card and it worked for him. Dabo is right you can’t have it both ways: you can’t win because you don’t play anybody - you win because you don’t play anybody. I will say this Clemson has the easier path to the playoffs and the playoffs have benefited Clemson for the years they would not have been in the top two.

Clemson has been the 1 or 2 seed each time we were in the playoff.  Bama and tOSU are the only teams to take advantage of winning a title as a 4 seed.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 10 August 2019 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

IMO it all comes down to SEC bias.  Some of our fans are sensitive just like every other fan base but the disrespect is real.  Like CUT4L said it goes back to the wheel of destiny garbage that is the same level of talking out both sides of your mouth.  If the ACC has parity then break out the wheel of destiny and make fun of the conference being garbage.  If the ACC is top heavy or has one great team talk about how everyone but Clemson is garbage.  These are literally the only two forms that a conference can present itself as and the ACC is pitched as bad for either.  Alternately we are compared to the SEC the most and the SEC is praised for the same attributes no matter which form they present themselves.  It’s particularly frustrating because for 15 years we’ve had to recruit against the SEC media hype telling ever kid that watches sports that being “SEC caliber or SEC speed” is the best their is.  You can’t tell me that USCjr’s streak wasn’t fed more by SEC media hype than anything.  Spurrier hadn’t done shit for 5 years but top recruits were still pouring in because the SEC prestige. 

Then you have Bama, who is simply the Clemson of the SEC and they can do no wrong.  The SEC is still elite despite Bama completely destroying them for a decade.  Then if the team that destroys the SEC gets killed it MUST be a mistake.  Bama would certainly have won 5/10!  Based on what?  Bama’s defense could not handle our WR’s and our defense was a stone wall in the red zone.  Bama fell for the trap.  Clemson played vanilla all year and in the playoff we cut loose and they couldn’t handle it. 

In 2015 we had 2 first round draft picks get hurt in the title game(Alexander and Lawson) and we were missing another (Williams), DW4 got speared helmet to helmet at least once with a no-call (which is a trend for us for some reason), and Bama needed a kick return and a few trick plays to beat us.  Zero excuses were given to the newcomer Clemson, make way for the king.  No mention of how Saban NEVER uses trick plays and had to do everything in the book to beat little old Clemson including playing dirty. 

In 2016 everyone just says we were lucky to have DW4 a generational talent and to say goodbye to Clemson because we’ll never see them again. 

In 2017 Bama get’s a free pass to the playoff despite not winning their division (deja vu).  It’s never mentioned and they win a title.  And no Clemson doesn’t get any credit for having to play a Bama team that was ACTUALLY more rested thanks to not playing in the SECCG.  Saban knew Clemson was going to be his matchup if he got in as soon as he lost to Auburn. 

Now in 2018 the entire sports world was convinced Bama was the best.  By mid-season they had anointed Tua the Heisman which they begrudgingly gave to Kyler after an injury slowed Tua (half pitched as a pity Heisman since the defense in the big12 sucks soooo bad).  Round 1 of the CFP Clemson spanks undefeated ND but Bama gets up big (28-0?) on the amazing OU team, then chokes most of the lead away but must still be the best team ever.  95% of sports casters pick Bama (most of the other 5% probably told to by their bosses) and I guarantee you have already written their memoir on why Bama is the best team of all time.  Then Clemson just absolutely ruins everything for them.  They can’t even believe their own eyes.  Clemson doesn’t get a few miracle plays and happen to win the game.  No 14-0 Clemson toys with 14-0 Bama.  Running well, throwing like Peyton Manning is back there, good blocking by the OL, defensive line destroying, DB’s picking off the ball (utter travesty), making Bama fumble right and left, WR’s posterizing DB’s, defense stone walling in the red zone, shutting down trick plays, and an emphatic 12 minute march down the field to kill the 4th quarter and purposely not scoring at the end.  14-0 Bama didn’t look like they belonged on the field with Clemson for all but about 15 of their offensive plays.  They didn’t know how to react.  Clemson could have easily scored at the end making it 51-16 and maybe actually tried and made it worse than that.  Any other team losing or any other bowl game and the loser of a 44-16/51-16 games get LAUGHED out the stadium.  If Bama wins 44-16 Clemson gets LAUGHED out the stadium and the media is ALL IN on Bama being the best team EVER, zero excuses are given to Clemson.  But no instead of buying in on Clemson being the best ever despite piles of evidence, which included Clemson having a historically high S&P rating very close to Bama’s, half the media gives Bama excuses. To make it worse the best they can come up with is that Bama is tired despite blowing out everyone they played but UGA who only kept it close because Tua could barely walk. 

Now Bama is legitimately a great team that has some problems but it’s hard to lose with a great HC and consistent #1 recruiting classes.  UGA on the other hand is the next thorn in our paw and has done nothing on the field to earn their praise.  We finish up conference championships and just because UGA played a one legged Tua tough some of the media (Herbstriet) not only thinks that UGA should be in the playoff but deserves to go UP in rank.  Are they going to admit they just don’t want an immediate rematch with Bama to validate this ridiculous claim?  Hell no. Did somebody say blowout loss to LSU?  NOPE, didn’t see that.  We need a second 2 SEC team in the CFP that happens to have 2 losses and didn’t win their conference.  No 1 loss BIG champ tOSU lost to some Purdue team I’ve never heard of so they shouldn’t be let in.  These are the same dudes saying UGA “just passes the eye test” but those same eyes just can’t believe the ass whooping of Bama they witnessed.  I think the media are the ones that need an eye test.  They also couldn’t believe the ass whooping that UGA got by Texas, cue the “they didn’t want to be there” excuse train. 

I don’t think it’s just Clemson is the only one tired of dealing with this bias but Clem

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2019 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Apparently there is a 6000 character limit… whoops. 

I don’t think it’s just Clemson is the only one tired of dealing with this bias but Clemson takes most of it head on because we happen to be the one winning the games that disprove the bias.  I’m sure Texas isn’t happy that UGA that “should be #3” also “didn’t want to be there” after getting manhandled.  The BIG and tOSU don’t like getting zero play for that 4th CFP spot all while UGA is getting pitched as #3.  ND doesn’t like that they get demolished by Clemson and are called frauds while Bama gets beat MUCH worse and gets exonerated by half the media.  The Big12 and OU don’t like that they get no credit for how they played Bama close.  If not for a terrible first quarter OU likely wins that game.  And I’m sure the Pac-12 loves being completely ignored. 

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2019 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12777
Joined  2008-10-29

He ain’t wrong…

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 10 August 2019 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8707
Joined  2008-10-29

Well you could always go to the Pac 12, have 0900 games and be completely forgotten about…

Did you ever think this is all about generating talk? Seems like it is working.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 10 August 2019 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4222
Joined  2011-02-04

Any energy left for a rant involving Deshaun Watson not winning the Heisman.

Posted: 10 August 2019 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Garrett_TD23 - 10 August 2019 03:01 PM

Any energy left for a rant involving Deshaun Watson not winning the Heisman.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 10 August 2019 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

I know it’s about generating talk.  But at the same time pundits need to admit they are wrong some times.  For instance Cowherd called us frauds during the 2016 championship year and he took it back and ate his crow and Joel Klatt went on his show to say how jealous he was of all the attention he got for the statement. 

The values of this country are always in flux and constantly questioned.  Many of these values are swayed by the media and group think.  I’m only 30 but even I have seen the massive erosion of journalistic integrity in this country and a shift from statistics and information to sensationalism.  IMO it takes away from a sport that doesn’t need fake hype to keep interest.  Actually I love when guys take hot takes and brag about being right or eat their crow.  But digging in deeper when you’re wrong and showing blatant favoritism, possibly due to network associations, hurts the sport.  It might even hurt the sports news industry more than the sport.  IMO the guys calling the shots at ESPN are being too reactive in their competition with free media like youtube and pod cast.  They see some of those sources live off of sensationalist content and try to replicate it.  Then it gets twisted into who can one up the next guy.  We went from Mark May and Holtz “arguing” to Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith yelling at each other trying to make the biggest headline they can think of.  This often leads to forcing political points in to non-political situations.  It has regressed to “troll journalism”.

IMO journalist are rapidly losing the public trust.  I’ve greatly reduced the amount of mainstream media I consume due to this trend.  It’s really a shame because they have all the resources available to mass produce great content.

Signature 

1 of 2