Kelly Bryant Not Getting a Championship Ring
Posted: 08 August 2019 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  970
Joined  2011-04-22

Thoughts on this, Clemson fans?

I was stunned it was a story. I never thought for a second he would/should get a ring, but it seems to be close to 50/50 that people think he should get one. I am 100% with Dabo here. Nice guy, and he’ll do well this year, but he quit the team.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 08 August 2019 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6425
Joined  2009-09-09

Matt, Here’s the other thing..2 of those 4 games were against Furman and Ga Southern. Not games his talents would have mattered. He share playing time in all 4 games with Trevor Lawrence and in the last game he played which was GT, Lawrence put on a clinic and that was when Dabo told him he was no longer the starter. The only game he really contributed was Texas A&M…..

He quit the team in a manner that put Clemson in a bad way nearly.  It was the week of the Syracuse game and Trevor Lawrence got hurt early and we had to rely on Chase Brice, an 18 year kid that had no reps hardly.  We got lucky.

KB got a Clemson degree. That’s all he deserves

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 08 August 2019 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4753
Joined  2013-01-17

It’s still talking season so any story is a story.  Also IMO ESPN is still a little hurt that Clemson beat up on it’s favorite child so bad for the NCG.  Dabo is also a pretty clean guy so any “dirt” you get on him must be gossiped about. 

I wouldn’t have been surprised if he did or didn’t get a ring and I don’t care much myself either way but I do think I understand why Dabo did what he did. 

Lots of people want to dive in the the “what if’s” and say if KB wasn’t there we would have lost the TA&M game but nobody know’s if that’s true.  What if TL caught a stride and made a few big plays with double the snaps?  Totally possible, actually I think his first play was a TD and he proved all year he had big play potential.  What if KB quit in the summer and TL got all the starting snaps?  He likely would have been much better earlier in the year.  If KB hadn’t been there we likely would have had Hunter Johnson, Zerick Cooper, and or Israel Tucker on the team.  Which also would have helped in the Cuse game where we had to rely on a guy that was SIXTH STRING just months before the game to win. 

Also KB already got A LOT of rings at Clemson.  Most of they earned by Watson.  So it could be argued that he has more than he deserves now. 

Lastly I think Dabo played it this way to set a precedent for all future transfers.  It provides one more downside to transferring, particularly mid-season.  Don’t reward people who aren’t ALL IN. 

KB had all the opportunity in the world to become a better QB and a freshman beat him out in 4 games.  He couldn’t take it and bailed on a team that gave him elite training, championships, world travel, and tons of love and support that had just lost 3 other QB’s over the summer.  That’s gonna sting for anyone.  Keep in mind this is also a guy that got VERY sick, I believe nearly lethally, at the end of his HS career and Clemson stuck with him honoring his scholarship offer.  He had lost like 40lbs and was nowhere near playing shape but Dabo sticks with his commitments.  I’m sure he lost many of his offers.  Rumor has it we picked him over Lamar Jackson too.  Yes we could have potentially had Lamar Jackson as a back up to DW4 but stuck with a guy that might not have ever been able to play again. 

Side note, I vaguely remember anther player a few years back that left the team but still got a ring.  I think it was for health reasons and a lineman.  Maybe Crowder or Furghmongen?  I can’t remember the specifics.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 08 August 2019 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4222
Joined  2011-02-04

Quit your job, go back in 8 months to ask for your Christmas bonus. I wonder if that ever worked?

Posted: 08 August 2019 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12777
Joined  2008-10-29

He quit and didn’t even make it 50% of the way.  He doesn’t deserve one.  He can get a bowl ring at Missouri….oh wait.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 08 August 2019 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4753
Joined  2013-01-17
Clemtgrs - 08 August 2019 10:27 PM

He quit and didn’t even make it 50% of the way.  He doesn’t deserve one.  He can get a bowl ring at Missouri….oh wait.

That was funny.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 09 August 2019 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3887
Joined  2009-01-07

I’m surprised it’s even a story. He left by his own choice and was not on the team. He was enrolled at Missouri in January.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 09 August 2019 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12777
Joined  2008-10-29

Bryant responded.
https://www.tigernet.com/update/Kelly-Bryant-on-not-receiving-a-Clemson-championship-ring-33388

Sounds a lot different than what he said in July.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27265149/crazy-how-things-work-kelly-bryant-journey-clemson-missouri

Clemson players and staff members received their ACC championship, College Football Playoff and national championship rings in April, and while Bryant started four games for Clemson last year, he didn’t receive any. Bryant said he’d certainly take them if offered, but when asked if he would send a ring to Bryant, Swinney told ESPN in July, “No.”

It’s crazy this is just now blowing up.  Jeez, can we get to the season?  Kelly Bryant soured the relationship here that won’t be fixed anytime soon, the media needs to get over it.  Clearly the decision Dabo made was correct.  If he is successful at Missouri it’s just going to get louder, doesn’t matter, we got our guy.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.