3 of 3
Coaches Hot Seat 2019 Weekly Discussion
Posted: 05 December 2019 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6731
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 05 December 2019 02:07 PM

Your guy Mike Leach inked a new deal with Washington St.  he won’t be heading south anytime soon.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised….Looks like he was using these interviews at Arky and Ole Miss to work Washington State for and extension and salary hike..He has a good gig there.  He will never have pressures like he would in the SEC.  He’s at a school that has already exceeded expectations and with Peterson stepping down and Washington perhaps gives him a recruiting edge with players know that Wazzu has a stable coaching situation.

On another note the Real USC keeps Clay Helton.  A little bit of a surprise.  I’m guessing they can’t get the guy they want (Urban Meyer) and Helton finished extremely strong.

Signature 

Tomorrow morning…...get our people down to the docks.

I want every man and woman coming off the boats…...given hot soup and bread. We’re burying a lot of votes here tonight.

William “Boss” Tweed: Gangs of New York

Posted: 05 December 2019 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12826
Joined  2008-10-29

Using Arkansas as an example, a program that seems in shambles, if you were the AD, how long do you give a coach there to fix it?  How long at a place like FSU or A&M with talent and money?

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 05 December 2019 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 05 December 2019 03:39 PM

Using Arkansas as an example, a program that seems in shambles, if you were the AD, how long do you give a coach there to fix it?  How long at a place like FSU or A&M with talent and money?

I love this question….on the ACC Network “Packer and Durham’s” morning show when this subject gets tossed around, Mark Packer’s “go-to” phrase is “the coach has got be a right fit for the program” and I agree with that.  When you see a guy like Mendenhal and Satterfield (especially Satterfield) go into a place that was in distress and quickly turn it around that puts a ton of presser at places like Boston College that just fired Addazio, Miami, NC State, and any number of places that should be in better shape.

Arkansas is by far in the worse shape. They are recruiting against Alabama and LSU that are elite, Texas A&M with a better infrastructure and I think it’s going to be a long time before they return unless something amazing occurs.  They (and Texas A&M) should be in the Big 12. Much better fit. 

aTm needs to be on a much shorter leash because of the investment and pedigree of Jimbo Fischer.  Granted, he has a brutal schedule this year, but he wasn’t even competitive any any of the top ranked opponents.

FSU is the program that should be the quickest to restore to a 10 win program because the ACC is down and FSU has access to superior talent.

Signature 

I want every man and woman coming off the boats…...given hot soup and bread. We’re burying a lot of votes here tonight.

Posted: 07 December 2019 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

FSU supposedly hiring Mike Norvell from Memphis.  Seems like a C hire, not sure if it’s good or bad.  He’s done ok at Memphis, but it’s very tick tock.  He’ll go 8 wins then get 10, then turn around and get 8 again.  Not sure who else they could get though?

Lane Kiffin heading to Ole Miss it looks like.  Back in the SEC to troll Bama.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 09 December 2019 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Not really hot seat but USF appears to be hiring Jeff Scott from Clemson.  Brad is said to be joining him.  The Scotts have been in Clemson for years.  We’re losing a great recruiter and a really good WR coach.  I don’t think he is really the offensive genius in our offense so interested to see how he does as a HC.  Hate losing him.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 09 December 2019 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 07 December 2019 01:34 PM

FSU supposedly hiring Mike Norvell from Memphis.  Seems like a C hire, not sure if it’s good or bad.  He’s done ok at Memphis, but it’s very tick tock.  He’ll go 8 wins then get 10, then turn around and get 8 again.  Not sure who else they could get though?

Lane Kiffin heading to Ole Miss it looks like.  Back in the SEC to troll Bama.

I watched Norvell’s presser and he said all of the right things. If fact he had bit of a cocky tone which I think is a good thing for FSU.  It didn’t take a lot to show more emotion to Willie Taggart…

It will be interesting to see what he can lock down in this recruiting cycle.

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2019 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 09 December 2019 10:28 AM

Not really hot seat but USF appears to be hiring Jeff Scott from Clemson.  Brad is said to be joining him.  The Scotts have been in Clemson for years.  We’re losing a great recruiter and a really good WR coach.  I don’t think he is really the offensive genius in our offense so interested to see how he does as a HC.  Hate losing him.

Hot seat/coaching changes..it’s a good common thread…

The only real thing that surprises me is that it took this long for another major departure…I know Scott, Elliot and Venables have all had offers and they’ve had the luxury of being at a good place where they can cherry pick…

I think it’s only a matter of time for Tony Elliot if you listen to this interview after the ACCCG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyoxDVo6o2c

He’s 40 and he knows there’s a window of time that you have to make a decision and stop turning down offers.  Lou Hotlz once told Urban Meyer prior to taking the Utah job that the reason he is being offered that job is because they (UTAH) is terrible. Sometimes you have to take a bad gig and build it.

I would like for Elliot to stay one more year to get another Co-Coordinator in place.  Maybe Dabo needs to give him a pay raise since Scott’s leaving.

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2019 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I foresee Streeter stepping into the role should Elliot leave.  And Tyler Grisham going to WR coach from GA eventually.  Dabo loves promoting internally if he can.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 09 December 2019 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4775
Joined  2013-01-17

I hope we have Eliot for at least one more year to help train up the next guy.  Dabo should have $500k-$1.1M worth of budget to allocate and I’m betting Eliot gets most of it.  Dabo has known this day was coming for years and I’m sure Streeter is pretty familiar with the system as a backup OC. 

This is just me personally but if I were in Scott’s/Elliot’s position I would stick around as long as Dabo would have me.  A Clemson alum making over $1M a year and dominating the sport.  Money isn’t everything and that’s a pretty good gig.  They both have a lot of history with Clemson and Dabo did a lot for their careers which helped keep them around this long.  Hopefully we get a little more.  But if being a HC is your dream go find the best place to do it.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 10 December 2019 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Chad Morris to Auburn as OC.  Good place for him near Gus IMO.  Can’t get much better coming off some disappointing seasons as a HC.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 11 December 2019 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Also interesting, Chad Morris is now working again with Kevin Steele.  Morris was part of Steele’s eventual downfall at Clemson.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 11 December 2019 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Jeff Scott had his USF introduction press conference today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlKHIHwH_L0

I was impressed that Tony Elliot was down there to support him.  Great show of family.

He speech could have been Dabo speaking.  He is certainly going to build USF in the Clemson model of graduation, family, fun, and accountability.  He used the motto “Best is the Standard”

I’m happy he gets to coach Clemson through the Playoffs.  He’s going to be a busy fellow this month.  I sure hope he does well.  It’s a great opportunity for him.  If he does a good job there he’ll have a P5 job in 3-5 years.

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2019 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4014
Joined  2009-01-07

I hope Jeff Scott does well. We’ll certainly miss his recruiting. I was glad see how Dabo handled it with him as well as how the other coaches supported him.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

3 of 3