Will The California “Fair Pay to Play Act” Destroy College Sports?
Posted: 11 September 2019 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6239
Joined  2009-09-09

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/california-bill-nearing-passage-could-be-domino-that-brings-down-ncaas-amateurism-philosophy/

Here was CBS Sports says the bills does in a nutshell:

Going forward, if/when the bill becomes law, schools would not directly pay their players. From a financial standpoint, it keeps the NCAA and universities’ finances exactly as they stand now. Most importantly, the bill would give legal protection to all California-based student-athletes. Schools, and the NCAA, could not pull scholarships or suspend players for agreeing to endorsement deals or taking money from outside interests based on their talent and marketability.

Jersey sales, autographs, sponsorships from local business, shoe deals, whatever. If their name, image or likeness is viewed as a profit-making asset by any entity, college athletes in the state of California will have the right to be paid off their talent and marketability.

California is using the courts to attract better athletes to their state because there’s been and exodus of talent moving to better programs.

I’m still one of those people that feels that is a huge value to a free education, free room, all the food you can eat and they are now being paid a stipend.

If this passes and is allowed nationally it will mean the end of college sports as we know it. The mid-majors and smaller schools will become true bottom feeders of talent.  On the schools with the biggest pockets will thrive.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 11 September 2019 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3825
Joined  2009-01-07

There are a lot of unintended consequences that could happen with something like this. I also don’t think it really keeps the NCAA out of it. They would need to ensure that there is some commercial value and would probably have to have some measure of the market value to make sure boosters weren’t paying way too much.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 11 September 2019 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

The NCAA Fires back at California in a letter to California Governor:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-sends-letter-to-california-governor-urging-him-to-veto-bill-that-would-allow-college-athletes-to-be-paid/

Here’s the letter take from the article:

Governor Newsom:

The 1,100 schools that make up the NCAA have always, in everything we do, supported a level playing field for all student-athletes. This core belief extends to each member college and university in every state across the nation.

California Senate Bill 206 would upend that balance. If the bill becomes law and California’s 58 NCAA schools are compelled to allow an unrestricted name, image and likeness scheme, it would erase the critical distinction between college and professional athletics and, because it gives those schools an unfair recruiting advantage, would result in them eventually being unable to compete in NCAA competitions. These outcomes are untenable and would negatively impact more than 24,000 California student-athletes across three divisions.

Right now, nearly half a million student-athletes in all 50 states compete under the same rules. This bill would remove that essential element of fairness and equal treatment that forms the bedrock of college sports.

The NCAA continues to focus on the best interests of all student-athletes nationwide. NCAA member schools already are working on changing rules for all student-athletes to appropriately use their name, image and likeness in accordance with our values — but not pay them to play. The NCAA has consistently stood by its belief that student-athletes are students first, and they should not be employees of the university.

It isn’t possible to resolve the challenges of today’s college sports environment in this way — by one state taking unilateral action. With more than 1,100 schools and nearly 500,000 student-athletes across the nation, the rules and policies of college sports must be established through the Association’s collaborative governance system. A national model of collegiate sport requires mutually agreed upon rules.

We urge the state of California to reconsider this harmful and, we believe, unconstitutional bill and hope the state will be a constructive partner in our efforts to develop a fair name, image and likeness approach for all 50 states.

Sincerely, 
Members of the NCAA Board of Governors

That pretty much looks like an “or else” ultimatum.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 11 September 2019 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4027
Joined  2008-10-29

If this sticks in Ca… I could see NCAA member schools vote to exclude schools in Ca from playing in NCAA sanctioned events. I believe the NCAA, and member institutions would go that far.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 11 September 2019 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
UNC 98 - 11 September 2019 06:41 PM

If this sticks in Ca… I could see NCAA member schools vote to exclude schools in Ca from playing in NCAA sanctioned events. I believe the NCAA, and member institutions would go that far.

The NCAA can’t possibly allow one state to dictate how they operate.  They have to exclude all California Schools.  Sure, there will be court battles, but I suspect if this thing made it to the US Supreme Court, the NCAA would be allowed to administer their program they way they want to.

While California can pass this legislation, the domino effect would be disastrous. Just a few items that would be affected are as follows:

1. The End of the Pac 12 conference

2. Non conference out of state games would be cancelled. No more Notre Dame Stanford/USC games.

3.The College Football Payoffs will drop the Pac 12 as part of the Power 5

4. All TV contracts would be cancelled

5.  Lawsuits from the Pac 12, individual Pac 12 schools non-conference schools that have future scheduled games.

6.  Probably every coach at major programs will quit since they won’t be able to quit and sue to have contracts paid off.

7.  A deep hatred and boycott of California

These are just a few off the top of my head.  I’m sure you guys came add to this messy list.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 11 September 2019 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4669
Joined  2013-01-17

I haven’t read much on this but I agree with CUT4L’s assessment.  My understanding is that the NCAA is a non-profit and has complete autonomy.  So it would hold the keys to scholarships and bowl game invites. 

The only way I see this being successful for the PAC-12 would be if they used this move to break away from the NCAA and create their own minor league system with accompanying TV network and agencies to produce revenue and try to out compete the NCAA schools.  This would take MAJOR balls and planning.  It could cost 100’s of millions in the short term, literally just a few years. However there is potential that they could draw the athletes in to make it work but it’s a huge gamble.  IF they made it work it would draw TONS of talent in.  But the kicker is that nobody would know how good the Pac teams really are because they wouldn’t get a chance to measure themselves against the rest of the country. 

The whole country could follow their path but it would be a slow ugly process. 

More likely in my mind is the PAC-12 falling apart when it can’t make money in NCAA events and the governor getting creamed for thousands of kids in Cali losing their scholarships.  I can see it now “Governor XXXXX loses scholarships for 50,000 black athletes”

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 12 September 2019 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12649
Joined  2008-10-29

Pac 12 already dying, this could kill it off completely.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 14 September 2019 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8558
Joined  2008-10-29

I actually don’t think the NCAA should fight this. It wouldn’t really change much. So the big programs get another advantage…so what. You don’t think Alabama or Clemson have advantages now?

I don’t think recruiting rankings would change much at all. Duke and Kentucky already get the best basketball players…what is the difference.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 14 September 2019 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4669
Joined  2013-01-17

Apparently a similar bill has been proposed in SC.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 14 September 2019 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Tebow’s rant yesterday about this yesterday is spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpm4jwMi8o

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 17 September 2019 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2013-02-22
Ancient Orange - 14 September 2019 09:59 AM

Apparently a similar bill has been proposed in SC.

This is CRITICAL. If it also passes in SC, it’ll go nationwide. If not, it could mean the end of the Pac-12 as mentioned previously. Either way, HUGE ramifications!

Signature 

Owner of http://www.ACCFootballRx.Blogspot.com