1 of 2
FSU Fires Willie Taggart
Posted: 03 November 2019 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6409
Joined  2009-09-09

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27999505/florida-state-fires-coach-willie-taggart

Looks like they received 20 million in private donations to fire CWT.  Well I hope they learned an expensive lesson.

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 03 November 2019 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12752
Joined  2008-10-29

Thats insane how many private donations came in.  Shows you there is money there, and money talks.

FSU needed to do this.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 03 November 2019 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 03 November 2019 05:12 PM

Thats insane how many private donations came in.  Shows you there is money there, and money talks.

FSU needed to do this.

That’s why the NIL situation worries me..If people are willing to spend 20 million to fire someone, imagine how much they are willing to offer an endorsement deal for a kid to play at their school?

Signature 

I’ve SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It’s a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing “I’m an Oscar Meyer Wiener”.

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 03 November 2019 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12752
Joined  2008-10-29

Now, what coach do they go after?

Jeff Scott?  Tony Elliott?  Mark Stoops?  I feel like they will need a bigger name with the way Taggart went.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 03 November 2019 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Well, since the school has private funding to fire CWT, they have the financial freedom to go after a big splash…

Satterfield would be great but I jumping ship on a team after one years would not be cool.

I think Bob Stoops has the itch again…

Could this finally be the time to call the Pirate in Washington State?

Matt Rhule has done a helluva job at Baylor…

Bronco Mendenhall might be ready for the next level…

I can’t imagine FSU going the coordinator route…

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 03 November 2019 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4735
Joined  2013-01-17

Urban Meyer?  He would dominate recruiting in Florida and draw interest from every QB in the country.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 03 November 2019 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
CU_Tigers4life - 03 November 2019 05:16 PM
Clemtgrs - 03 November 2019 05:12 PM

FSU needed to do this.

That’s why the NIL situation worries me..If people are willing to spend 20 million to fire someone, imagine how much they are willing to offer an endorsement deal for a kid to play at their school?

Clemson already pays like $14M per year just to our coaches….  People who think “nobody will pay $500k to a recruit” are idiots.  I’m sure dozens of donors around the country are already discussing these matters with their lawyers.

Signature 

Posted: 03 November 2019 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1040
Joined  2010-09-06

Thomas Brent Venables

Signature 

“you are what your record says you are” Bill Parcells

Posted: 03 November 2019 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4045
Joined  2008-10-29

FSU has a huge athletic dept. who split from the University to establish itself as a not for profit entity. They could go after anyone they’d like. I think Taggart was just bad and snap judgement.  I will not hazard a guess, but no one would surprise. FSU’s fans are fickle, and the athletic dept realizes this. They turned on Bowden, who invented FSU.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 04 November 2019 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3881
Joined  2009-01-07

I think Taggart is a good guy, but that team is a disaster right now. i guess the donors had heard about the buyout being a problem and just got it done. It will be interesting to see who they get now. I would think they’ll go for a big name after this experience.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 04 November 2019 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

That’s a lot of money to spend with no great options readily available…. or plan in general.

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2019 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I saw the FSU AD’s presser about the matter.  He said that they are using an outside firm to assist in the search and will also use the council of the boosters to play a role…

Now that FSU has taken the booster’s money for the buyout, they will have much more control in the hiring process and I think that could potential be a bad thing.

Having the right fit is such a big issue. I’m not sure what type of coach is really correct for FSU’s culture.  I think they are going to want a guy that will be available to the boosters on a regular basis which is something I don’t think Jimbo or Taggart were particularly good at.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 04 November 2019 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3881
Joined  2009-01-07

That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Not only can it lead to a poor, uninformed decision, I think it makes it less attractive to potential coaches. After Jimbo blamed so much on lack of school support, that could be a problem

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 04 November 2019 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4045
Joined  2008-10-29

Apparently it may be Bob Stoops, keeping OC and Levitt as DC. That is what local ABC station saying. He’s been in Tally for a day or so.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 05 November 2019 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
UNC 98 - 04 November 2019 11:16 PM

Apparently it may be Bob Stoops, keeping OC and Levitt as DC. That is what local ABC station saying. He’s been in Tally for a day or so.

On the Packer and Durham ACCN show, they had Mark Schlabach on,who broke the story about the FSU boosters chipping in to fire CWT and he is saying that Bob Stoops has no interest in the FSU job at this point.  Of course if the Check is big enough who knows?

Schlabach did throw a few names like Tony Franklin, Brian Kelly along with the list of potential candidates.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly….

Posted: 05 November 2019 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8704
Joined  2008-10-29

I see those reports and I’m sure that will be a big splash hire in the same vein sort of as Miles and Brown, but I think they would be smarter getting his brother from Kentucky. He has taken Kentucky as far as they will go with a 10 win season last year. He recruits well and knows FSU from his time at DC. I am also sure that would also not go over as well on the message boards and that seems to matter alot at places like FSU.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

1 of 2